Mass Shooting At Denver Batman Movie Premiere

firefly

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:22 am
Quote:
Aurora mayor says some movie theater shooting victims may not live
By Associated Press
Updated: Sunday, July 22, 10:39 AM

DENVER — The mayor of a Denver suburb that was the site of one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history says some victims are still terribly injured and may not live.

Aurora Mayor Steve Hogan says he and his staff visited victims in various hospitals on Saturday.

He told ABC’s “This Week” that some victims must still undergo major surgery.

The shooting at a screening of the new Batman movie early Friday killed 12 people and wounded 58 others. Aurora police said Saturday there has been no change from the 11 people Chief Dan Oates previously reported to be in critical condition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/aurora-mayor-says-some-movie-theater-shooting-victims-may-not-live/2012/07/22/gJQAbmZG2W_story.html

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What was your purpose in posting that if not to deride Christians?

At times we seems to think alike...............
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:25 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
You are ignoring the fact that the assault rifle that shooter was carrying is already banned in several states,

Such bans are unconstitutional, and will soon all be struck down by the Supreme Court.

Quote:
New Jersey law also places significant restrictions on where owners can carry their weapons.

Not for long. Will only be a year or two before the Supreme Court rules that all Americans everywhere have the right to carry arms when going about in public.

firefly wrote:
We have a hodge-podge of laws relating to gun possession that vary considerably by state. And your alleged freedom to carry or posess any type of firearm you wish will depend on the state you are in.

No. Freedom applies universally. It is just that some states are violating our Constitutional rights. The Supreme Court will be correcting that soon though.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:25 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

To show how some people are viewing, and reacting to, this massacre.

If you're saying that minister's thinking "derides Christians" then you don't agree with him either, and you're also saying he doesn't represent most Christians.

Seems to me that his comments are as valid for discussion in this thread as the gun nuts carrying on about their "freedom" and "rights".

oralloy

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:26 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Maybe it's time to reinstate the assault weapons ban.

Not going to happen. The NRA will not allow you to do it.

And the Supreme Court would strike it down if you did.

firefly wrote:
We don't have to facillitate the commission of mass murders by keeping these weapons legally available.

Assault weapons do nothing to facilitate mass murders. They are no deadlier than non-assault weapons.

And yes, you do have to keep them legally available. The Constitution insists on it.
BillRM

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:29 am
@firefly,
Quote:
To show how some people are viewing, and reacting to, this massacre

Some people? that seems a very large overstatement to put it mildly.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:31 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
You are still ignoring the fact that the "right to bear arms" is already restricted in many states. The limitless "freedom" you are espousing in that regard, under the Second Amendment, does not exist--particularly involving assault weapons.

The fact that a government violates people's Constitutional rights, does not mean that those rights do not exist.

firefly wrote:
Second, while federal legislation receives the most media attention, state legislatures and city councils make many more decisions regarding your right to own and carry firearms....

Quote:
1. "Assault weapons" are prohibited in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. Massachusetts: It is unlawful to sell or transfer handguns not on the Firearms Roster. The City of Boston has a separate "assault weapons" law. Some local jurisdictions in Ohio also ban "assault weapons." Hawaii prohibits "assault pistols." California bans "assault weapons", .50BMG caliber firearms, some .50 caliber ammunition and "unsafe handguns." Illinois: Chicago, Evanston, Oak Park, Morton Grove, Winnetka, Wilmette, and Highland Park prohibit handguns; some cities prohibit other kinds of firearms. Maryland prohibits "assault pistols"; the sale or manufacture of any handgun manufactured after Jan. 1, 1985, that does not appear on the Handgun Roster; and the sale of any handgun manufactured after January 1, 2003 that is not equipped with an "integrated mechanical safety device." Massachusetts: It is unlawful to sell, transfer or possess "any assault weapon or large capacity feeding device" [more than 10 rounds] that was not legally possessed on September 13, 1994 and the sale of handguns not on the Firearms Roster. The City of Boston has a separate "assault weapons" law. The District of Columbia bans "assault weapons," .50BMG caliber firearms and ammunition, "unsafe firearms," and "large capacity" (more than 10 rounds) ammunition feeding devices. Virginia prohibits "Street Sweeper" shotguns. (With respect to some of these laws and ordinances, individuals may retain prohibited firearms owned previously, with certain restrictions.) The sunset of the federal assault weapons ban does not affect the validity of state and local "assault weapons" bans.
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/compendium-of-state-firearms-laws.aspx

So control of assault weapons is already in effect on local and state levels.

Soon to be struck down by the US Supreme Court.....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:32 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:

To show how some people are viewing, and reacting to, this massacre.

Everybody is talking about it, trying to see if this event can be used to further their agenda's. I can see where the pro and anti gun agenda people's comments are relevant, but not the people of faith. How can you justify posting this reaction when you have not done so for politicians for example?

Given what I have seen in the past from you this appears to be part of a pattern of a deep hostility that you seem to have towards religion and people of faith. As a deeply spiritual person myself I find your hostility to be unsavory.

I know you Feminists have convinced yourselves that you have a free pass to hate on both men and religion, but really you dont, it is all in your head.
BillRM

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:33 am
@oralloy,
The amusing thing is I had ask her over and over and over how so call assault weapons in her opinion is more deadly then any other semi-auto rifle and she had refused to address the matter.

The truth seems to be that she know that they are no more deadly and she just wish to get a ban on all firearms one type at a time.

Maybe she would allow us muzzle loaders but I would not count on it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:39 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Given what I have seen in the past from you this appears to be part of a pattern of a deep hostility that you seem to have towards religion and people of faith. As a deeply spiritual person myself I find your hostility to be unsavory

Oh my Firefly and I had something in common Hawkeye !!!!!!!!!

Still I try to attack religions for their "sins" ' not what some fringe person would state over this matter, in the name of his religious believes.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:40 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
David is, as always. wrong.

No, he is, as usual, exactly correct.

MontereyJack wrote:
The four dissenters on Heller, uninfluenced by the gun nut lobby, correctly read the 2nd amendment as being, as it clearly states, about the militia and only about the militia, which had far greater importance in 1792 than today, when it does not perform anything much like the duties envisioned for it then.

The freedom hater justices would have had a bit more credibility if they'd been able to point to an actual militia for the Second Amendment to apply to.

But regardless, that argument would change little, as the Ninth Amendment fully protects people's rights to carry arms as they go about in public.

MontereyJack wrote:
It is not talking about an individual right at all, and that collective interpretation was the majority view of the amendment until extreme right-wing activist groups like the NRA started talking their madness.

I'm all for bringing back the militia so the government can truly comply with the Second Amendment.

But the Ninth Amendment will still protect the right of the general citizenry to be armed as they go about in public.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:42 am
@hawkeye10,
Oh get off it. I have never expressed any anomosity toward people of faith--any faith. I have no such animosity, let alone hostility.

On the other hand, your friend BillRM ridicules, and consistently attacks, people of faith, any faith, for believing in "fairy tales" and both of you have attacked Muslims for their faith.

Your "deep spirituality" certainly hasn't been in evidence in any of your posts, not withstanding your claims to "be Zen".

Try focusing on the topic of the thread for a change. It's not about you.
BillRM

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:47 am
@firefly,
Quote:
On the other hand, your friend BillRM ridicules and consistently attacks, people of faith, any faith, for believing in "fairy tales".

MY GOD she told a truth in one of her postings.......................
firefly

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:50 am
Quote:
Police describe Colorado shooting as 'calculated and deliberate,' say it may have been planned for months
By Jana Winter
July 22, 2012

AURORA, Colo. – Police say they believe the suspect in a deadly shooting at a Colorado movie theater planned the attack with "calculation and deliberation," as they removed all explosives from his booby trapped apartment.

The suspect, James Holmes, is accused of going on a shooting rampage at the movie theater during Friday's midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises," killing 12 people dead and injuring 58. He was packing as many as 6,000 rounds of ammunition with the ability to shoot up to 50 a minute, police said.

Fox News has learned a possible second person of interest in the case is also being investigated, though sources caution authorities are not yet sure if the individual is necessarily tied to the crime.

In a statement to Fox News early Sunday, the Aurora Police Department confirmed an "associate" of Holmes had been interviewed in relation to the case, but at this time they do not believe he was involved.

The person who owns the home where the reported person of interest lives tells FoxNews.com investigators are looking for his tenant because they have interviewed all students from Holmes's program and his tenant is the only one who they haven't been able to reach. However, the landlord said he believes the tenant has been in Korea for "weeks."

Earlier Saturday, authorities eliminated all the explosives in Holmes' booby-trapped apartment. No officials were injured in the process.

Aurora police Sgt. Cassidee Carlson says the booby trap trip wire at his apartment was "meant to kill," the first person who opened the door to the apartment.

The Aurora police chief says the trap was meant specifically to kill a police officer who might have opened the door.

"We sure as hell are angry," Chief Dan Oates said about the trap being aimed at officers. Oates also apparently tried to head off a mental incompetence defense by saying Holmes was deliberate and calculating in receiving numerous commercial deliveries to his home and workplaces over the past four months.

"This is some serious stuff that our team is dealing with," Sgt. Carlson said. Witnesses have reported hearing two small booms during the disarming process.

Holmes' apartment was loaded with explosives and authorities say they will not know for sure what is inside until they enter and test results come back from an FBI lab. A robot was sent in to disarm and diffuse the major threats as well as remove evidence.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/20/police-work-to-id-victims-colorado-massacre-delay-probe-suspect-apartment/#ixzz21NFd5v00

What's interesting is why he alerted police to the fact his apartment was booby-trapped.
oralloy

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:52 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
No, it's more that you are obviously making up your own idea of your Constitutional right "to bear arms"--including assault weapons--and a good many people, and legislators, and courts, in other U.S. localities and states, do not share your fanciful view, particularly regarding assault weapons.

Nothing is made up about it. The fact that it is blatantly unconstitutional to ban assault weapons is abundantly clear.

firefly wrote:
Benjamin Franklin would puke if he heard you misusing his words to justify your desire to own assault weapons.

Hardly. He would instead be appalled that the freedom haters are trying to illegally ban guns based on harmless cosmetic features.

firefly wrote:
Owning assault weapons is not "essential liberty"--except in the mind of the most crazed gun nut.

Nope. The Constitution is very clear on the fact that people have the right to have assault weapons.

firefly wrote:
And that's why these weapons are banned in many places in the U.S..

Not all that many places.

And such bans will soon be struck down by the US Supreme Court.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:56 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
MY GOD she told a truth in one of her postings

If that is what you believe then I dont agree with you. I also dont agree with the quoted Christian but I do know that this is what many of them do believe. Firefly I am sure is so grounded in victim culture that she believes that anything negative said about a victim is offensive, even if true, and is expecting most of the rest of us to be similarly trained by victim culture. She is counting on us to all be repulsed by someone saying that some of the victims here might not get into Heaven (even though there is a 98% chance that Firefly does not believe in Heaven, which is rich), it was most certainly a dig at Christians.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:58 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
BillRM wrote:
In other word tell us a rational reason why these weapons should be ban.

They are already banned in many places--I posted the info for you direct from the NRA Web site.
Quote:
1. "Assault weapons" are prohibited in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. Massachusetts: It is unlawful to sell or transfer handguns not on the Firearms Roster. The City of Boston has a separate "assault weapons" law. Some local jurisdictions in Ohio also ban "assault weapons." Hawaii prohibits "assault pistols." California bans "assault weapons", .50BMG caliber firearms, some .50 caliber ammunition and "unsafe handguns." Illinois: Chicago, Evanston, Oak Park, Morton Grove, Winnetka, Wilmette, and Highland Park prohibit handguns; some cities prohibit other kinds of firearms. Maryland prohibits "assault pistols"; the sale or manufacture of any handgun manufactured after Jan. 1, 1985, that does not appear on the Handgun Roster; and the sale of any handgun manufactured after January 1, 2003 that is not equipped with an "integrated mechanical safety device." Massachusetts: It is unlawful to sell, transfer or possess "any assault weapon or large capacity feeding device" [more than 10 rounds] that was not legally possessed on September 13, 1994 and the sale of handguns not on the Firearms Roster. The City of Boston has a separate "assault weapons" law. The District of Columbia bans "assault weapons," .50BMG caliber firearms and ammunition, "unsafe firearms," and "large capacity" (more than 10 rounds) ammunition feeding devices. Virginia prohibits "Street Sweeper" shotguns. (With respect to some of these laws and ordinances, individuals may retain prohibited firearms owned previously, with certain restrictions.) The sunset of the federal assault weapons ban does not affect the validity of state and local "assault weapons" bans.
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/compendium-of-state-firearms-laws.aspx

Pointing out that some states violate the Constitution (for now), does not answer the question about why guns should be banned based on harmless cosmetic features.

firefly wrote:
It's your delusion that there is some sort of Constitutional "freedom" or "right" to possess these weapons.

Nope. It is abundantly clear that the Constitution protects our right to possess assault weapons.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:06 pm
@dlowan,
Define "gun nuts".
Do you believe that anyone that owns a gun is a "gun nut"? Or is that reserved for those people that own more than 1 gun?

I own 3 guns, 2 pistols and a rifle, do I qualify as a "gun nut" in your eyes?
Before I get seriously involved in this discussion, I need to have the terms defined and agreed upon.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:08 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
I own 3 guns, 2 pistols and a rifle, do I qualify as a "gun nut" in your eyes?

I think it is the arguing of your right to have them, and the wisdom of having them, which gets you in the club.
oralloy

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:08 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
BillRM wrote:
Once more what is the rational reasons for them being ban not that they are ban in some places now.

I don't have to answer that question because it's irrelevant

Actually it is highly relevant.

The fact that there are no reasons whatsoever for banning assault weapons, is the key to why it is unconstitutional to ban them.

firefly wrote:
I am responding to your absurd assumption that you have a Constitutional right to possess such weapons.

Nothing absurd about it. The fact that there is no reason to ban such weapons means that it is unconstitutional to do so.

firefly wrote:
That you have no such "right" is evident from the fact that these weapons are banned in many places, and there was a federal ban in place until it expired 2004.

The fact that some governments violate our rights does not mean that those rights do not exist. It merely means that you are committing a grave offense against the American people.

firefly wrote:
If you are interested in why these weapons are banned, and why your thinking on this issue is inaccurate, you go check out the background on the legislation that imposes such bans.

His thinking is not in the least inaccurate.

And there is in fact no reason for the banning of these weapons. Freedom haters ban weapons solely because they hate our freedom.

firefly wrote:
BillRM wrote:
How are they more deadly then any other semi-auto rifle??????

The police responded to the Aurora theater shooting in 90 seconds--the gunman had already shot 70 people.

Maybe so, but that had nothing to do with the gun being an assault weapon. A non-assault-weapon would have shot just as fast.
0 Replies