I am off on a holiday!!!!

the prince

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:01 pm
@Ticomaya,
I flyout today, but have been having 102F fever since the last two days. Doctor thinks it is the side effects of the yellow fever shot. Hopefully I should be okay by the time I reach Nairobi.

Yeah, looking forward to staying in a tent. It comes complete with a personal butler and a 4x4 with a chauffeur Wink
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:08 pm
@the prince,
I had that shot once, or I think I did (I was a micro major way back then, early 60's). Lot of shots required for participating in advanced labs. Anyway, we all had reactions but they passed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:09 pm
@the prince,
Pictures, pictures!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:47 pm
@the prince,
A tent with a butler!

You're a funny fella you know.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:57 pm
@the prince,
I always refuse to camp out anywhere with less than three stars.

But ... a butler and a chauffeur? I might reconsider.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:14 am
@Eva,
I like well chosen one or two star places, especially with gardens mentioned - that's how I found the aventine villas (those have ramped up in stars since my first visit when they were one star). Remember though, I am Ms. Picky.
We just differ on pickynesses.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:19 am
@Eva,
Night sky stars? Where could you camp with less than three? We tend to have quite a few in the sky at our camping sites. Definitely more than three.
Eva

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:29 am
@dlowan,
Hotels, deb. Nothing less than 3-star hotels. Laughing

I am a terrible camper.

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:54 am
@Eva,
So am I. I need showers and toilets and stuff!

I went whale watching once and they expected us to go for five days without washing!!!! And the shower facilities were only an hours drive away!

I and my crotch rot led the revolt.
Eva

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 03:32 pm
@dlowan,
I have serious back problems and must have a good mattress...no sleeping on the ground (even with an air mattress) or I will be paying for it for a week. I also cannot sleep where there is a draft, or I wake up completely stuffed up. Breathing cold air at night does the same thing. Allergies, dontcha know. Forget hiking, too. (See back problems above, plus arthritis, bursitis, and plantar fasciitis that are all exacerbated by too much walking.) And don't expect me to carry anything, either. I'm forbidden to lift more than 10 pounds. I can't raise one arm above shoulder height anyway. Mosquitos love me and inevitably swarm me, then the histamines cause extreme agitation after I'm bitten several times. I literally turn cold if there are buzzing insects such as bees and wasps. It's a panic thing. On the up side, I am not afraid of spiders...or dirt, as long as it's not in my food. I'm not cleaning, cooking or eating anything anyone catches, however. Get that thing away from me.

WHAT??? Five days without washing?! That's insane.
dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 04:27 pm
@Eva,
It is, indeed, insane. We were told to bring wet ones...you know, those cleansing towelettes.

They seemed to CAUSE problems for me!

Whales were super cool, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 04:35 pm
@the prince,
the prince wrote:
Yeah, looking forward to staying in a tent. It comes complete with a personal butler and a 4x4 with a chauffeur Wink

I find that kind of depressing to think about.

You might as well stay home. Seriously, that's no kind of camping/tenting.

Depressing that people think that's something to look forward to.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 04:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Totally agree with that, ehBeth. There are too many people these days whose idea of "roughing it" is having a vehicle with a manual transmission.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 04:54 pm
@the prince,
Will you at least leave all of your phones and i-things behind?
Eva

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 10:09 pm
@ehBeth,
I certainly hope not! We want photos!!!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 10:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Many of the safari /holiday/vacation packages are sold with this concept in mind. Think every black and white safari movie you've ever seen. Tents with ceiling fans and proper beds and turn down service, avec chocolat are only a part of the attraction. They're meant for the hotel crowd, not campers.
On some of these safaris, tourists travel from place to place and the tents are set up and ready in a new spot each night.
I'd love to try it, at least once. Luxury.. I've spent too many nights sleeping on hard ground in a cold tent.
the prince

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 07:21 am
@Ceili,
Sitting at the Nairobi airport after what can only be described as a holiday of a lifetime.

Look out for photos.

Now onwards to Bangkok for 4 days of indulgence.

the prince

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:39 am
@the prince,
ok so stupid question...how does one post pictures?
jcboy

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 09:07 am
@the prince,
You can create an account on http://photobucket.com/

Or just upload to http://imageshack.us/

I always size them in Photoshop before uploading.

Then copy the url of the uploaded photo,

Paste it into here [img][/img]
the prince

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 06:30 pm
@jcboy,
Ahhhh my knight in shining armour.

Will do it as soon as I download the pics from my camera.

Long weekend coming up in Singapore so off to Vietnam on another short break Smile)
0 Replies