The British Crown is a useless anachronism.

Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:06 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

...I can't, for the life of me, think of a single reason for the Royal Family to have any presence in the British government.

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/denominations/anglican_history.htm
Singing the song "Tradition" from Fiddler On the Roof, I believe that the Royals add a certain historical stability to the British society. Plus, if the Pope can be the Head of State of the Vatican, then the Queen/King of England can be the titular head of Britain. Both have priceless treasures that might ethically belong to their respective flock/citizens. What's good for a Catholic goose, might be good for the Anglican gander, in my opinion.

Plus, again in my opinion, with the Royals being Anglican (that can change) I sort of value others knowing their place in the British society. We wouldn't want anyone starting to act uppity, now would we? It is bad enough so many folks are acting like "they arrived" in society here in the States. A mockery is being made of the Social Register here in the States.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that money/education/land ownership is not a social deodorant for the masses. That is why they are called the masses, or commoners in Britain. Please wake up, and know your place in society. What ever happened to Christian humility? I wonder if there are Christians that really want to covet what others have? Shame on them, if that be true!
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:41 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
if the Pope can be the Head of State of the Vatican, then the Queen/King of England can be the titular head of Britain
"If eggs are white, then surely peaches are keen" Your point high;ighted above doesntmake sense. I think the Vatican was only stblished in maybe 1925 or so. I recll the "Lateran Treaty" that set it up . Britain sharess nothing in its sovereign tradition with the VAtican (Which is set up Primarily as a city state of the Roman Catholic REligion and thats all)
Englands history goes back a few more weeks than the VAtican.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:43 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Monarchs are the source of all honors in monarchical societies, and they are an unchaning head of state, heads of state who are, at least ostensibly, above partisan politics. They serve useful purposes in those societies which have them and want them.

I won't even remark the head of state above partisan politics thing, as it is so redundant is not worth mention...
"Being the source of all honours" pretty much nearly matches "being wanted" in my book...so I suppose you were addressing the usefulness of being wanted, because they are the source of all honours... a dam top quality informative statement you reason, but I just qualify it as an exercise in sterile pseudo irony from a freak that has nothing to do in the afternoon except pissing in every corner he finds...

oh by the way duchebag...my English posts are "ambidextrous" even without their right arm when compared to your squary formal ****...90% of your comments are about giving crap to everybody else mostly without the advantage of at least making a point as just shown above...
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:45 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
You're only ever marginally coherent, and rarely have any point to make at all, other than "giving creap to everybody." Have a lousy day, Bubba.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:51 am
@Setanta,
It just shows that you shouldn't post in such a highly emotional state. Take a deep breath, count to ten, check things over, then press reply.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:53 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Trappist monks all over the world are famous for their cheeses, especially their hard cheeses. The Trappists of New York and Kentucky are no different than their fellow monks in other countries.

Do they can it there, or is that done off the premises?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:54 am
@izzythepush,
That's one of the most common, puerile tricks online, to suggest the person who has just shown what a fool you are is emotional. You made a comment about cheeses from America which demonstrated your ignorance. You'd rather talk about a typographical error, or react hysterically like this than face up to your ignorance, and admit it.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:55 am
@farmerman,
I thought it was a reference (for some reason) to this

Quote:
The British monarch has the constitutional title of Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

The canon law of the Church of England states, "We acknowledge that the Queen’s most excellent Majesty, acting according to the laws of the realm, is the highest power under God in this kingdom, and has supreme authority over all persons in all causes, as well ecclesiastical as civil."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_England
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:55 am
@Setanta,
I've had American cheese, I'm talking from experience.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:56 am
@Foofie,
Oh, Jaysus, don't start talking about the Royals changing from Anglican to (godforbidit) Catholicism, there'll be busted blood vessels in several English necks just at the thought it.
Besides, every time the Royals do switch from Anglican to Papist to something or vice versus,,,,, hundreds have to be killed, heads stuck on posts, thumbscrews employed and various other symbols of Christ's Merciful Offices on Earth are burned to the ground.

It could put off the crowds at the Olympics more then the rains.

The British do not do changes in Royal religion very easily, although all a British Monarch has to whisper is :"Who shall rid me of this meddlesome priest?" and he'll get several volunteers at the ready.

Joe(It's a tradition. )Nation

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:01 am
@izzythepush,
How many of the hundreds of varieties of American cheeses have you tried?

Perhaps some of the gold medal winners from the World Cheese Awards in London?

Really, you're being as silly as fman here.

hmm

mebbe that's it

it's a BMOC championship bout

Rolling Eyes
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:01 am
@Joe Nation,
I think you'll find all the religious nutters live in your neck of the woods.
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:06 am
@izzythepush,
Obviously none of those which won prizes in London. But i'm sure you're right Bubba, you're always right, no?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:07 am
@izzythepush,
Too true, that.

This place is crawling with them.

If only one holy sect were able to wipe out all the other holy sects...... .

Joe(there'd be peace in the valley again)Nation Mr. Green
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:08 am
@ehBeth,
I tried some 'top class,' American cheeses when I was in a plush hotel in Mexico. The Americans liked them, I didn't.

You can't really get American cheese over here anyway, there's no demand.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:09 am
From the Telegraph--apparently not all the "religious nutters" are over here.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:12 am
@izzythepush,
There are very good cheeses made on the U S west coast, Humboldt Fog being one of them (I slightly know the woman who started the company) and there are a few good ones out of the SF Bay area. Also, some artisan (the new overused word that does apply in some cases) in Oregon and Washington State. I rarely run across cheese from Vermont so I've no sense on if they have a lot of good small cheese making farms. I also love a lot of european (by that I don't mean euro zone) cheese which I learned about from restaurants and specialty cheese stores in California - back as early as the seventies. They'd break my wallet now, but I remember how delicious they were.

You, Izzie, have probably only had the routine commercial cheese you ran across in Texas grocery stores. Pah!

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:23 am
@Setanta,
Yeah, but apparently their methods and tactics are American exports.

Joe(Yea! We're fixing the balance of trade.)Nation
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:25 am
@Joe Nation,
Well, we're a more tolerant nation, which is why we took in all the religious nut cases the Europeans drove out. We're just getting a little of our own back.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:31 am
@ossobuco,
I don't doubt there are some good cheeses in America, unfortunately the overriding impression is of this.