The British Crown is a useless anachronism.

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 08:55 pm
@Foofie,
Don't take this thread too seriously, Foofie, although I see what you are saying.
You may think it puerile to think that every ethnicity in the US dreams of having one of their own in the White House, but I, who have been to more Polish/Italian/German/Swedish/Danish/Mexican/Porto Rican/Russian/Slovak/Turkish/....(that's all I can think of now) festivals and weddings can guarantee you that if you did a poll at any of those events, a huge majority would say "Da/Ya/Si/etc.... .

What we have almost always gotten is another son of two white Protestants. Kennedy was the first exception, right? and we haven't had another until Barrack Obama came down from Chicago.

Getting Catholics into the highest offices of the USA hasn't worked for me. The majority of the US Supreme Court is now Catholic, but they are not the Catholics that hung around with the Berrigan brothers nor have they any idea what the hell the current Pontiff has been talking about.

Joe(They are what my mother called "White Lace Curtain Catholics")Nation
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 04:14 am
@Joe Nation,
What about whisky?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 04:17 am
@Setanta,
Cromwell was from Huntingdon. Unlike Mary he didn't go on about being Welsh all the time. Laver Bread Mary is how she was known in the valleys. I don't think you've even been to Wales.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 04:28 am
@Joe Nation,
Did your mother imply
that lace shud not be used for curtains ?

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 04:44 am
@izzythepush,
Actually, i have. Mary Tudor was about 1/16 Welsh--she had more French and English ancestors than Welsh. What the Welsh called her is meaningless. Get over yourself.

Little Miss Can't Be Wrong.

Cromwell was descended from Morgan ap William, and by rights, his name ought to have been Williams or Williamson. However, Morgan married Thomas Cromwell's sister, and took that family name. You know **** about your own nation's history.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 04:48 am
@Setanta,
I like your new tag line. Whereabouts in Wales did you go? Not just the ferry port in Pembroke or Holyhead I trust.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 05:41 am
@izzythepush,
Mary also loved sailing which is where the phrase Salt Water Taffy originates.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 07:02 am
@izzythepush,
Whiskey, preferably Jameson, is always welcome in my house.

Many years ago I met and became friends with Paul Scott. (Yes, the author)
He liked a bit of whisky, the Scotch variety, and we shared a few glasses, short and long. His biggest complaint about Americans and whisky was that they were always either adding something to it: water, soda, ice or bitters and Vermouth to make Manhattans, "all kinds of other rubbish" when the pleasure came from just sipping it.

He never added anything his glass. I took up the same habit.

Scott made one concession to American tastes.
He kept at least two bottles around, one on the bar and, in order that the liquid be cold enough not to need ice, one in the refrigerator.

It was short friendship. Sometime during that Spring and Summer, he learned he had colon cancer. Advanced. <sigh>

Joe(Raise a glass, sip a bit to a great man)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 07:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
My Mom was not in favor of anyone putting on airs.

She enjoyed going to arrogant people's funerals.

Joe(such a pleasure to see them lying there with their big mouths shut)Nation
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 07:13 am
@Joe Nation,
When I was 17 I got really drunk on Whisky, (Bells) and it put me off for life. I can occasionally have a bit of Bourbon, but that's about it. My father is a real lover of the Single Malt and will not have that with anything except the occasional drop of water.

My favourite tipple has to be Calvados.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 08:37 am
@izzythepush,
Calvados : In case you need something warm on a winter's night.

Joe(besides your honeymoonpiesweetie-ums)Nation
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 08:38 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The "Taffy" strain in the Tudors is not as great as your remark suggests. Owen Tudor married Catherine de Valois, the daughter of Charles VI of France, and the widow of Henry V. Their son, Edmond Tudor, married Margaret de Beaufort, who was about as English as you can get. It was their son, Henry Tudor, Earl of Richmond, who became Henry VII. Only one of Henry VII's four grandparents was Welsh. Henry VII married Elizabeth of York, and his son Henry VIII married Catherine of Aragon. Mary Tudor didn't have very much Welsh blood at all.

History is hard!

There is also social history that is very interesting. The history that was taught in school is just a compilation of sterile facts, in my opinion, that allows one to pass a test or not.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 08:59 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Joe(They are what my mother called "White Lace Curtain Catholics")Nation

I've been told that for one Irish person to refer to another Irish person as "lace curtain Irish" is actually a putdown, since the inference is that only last week they put up lace curtains; before that - questionnable. And, the way it was phrased to me was as a question, "So, you're lace cutain Irish - are ya' now?"

But getting back to the Brits and the willingness to have Royalty marry Catholics, why now? Could it be that the Monarchy realizes that there are anti-Monarchy rumblings in Britain, and similar to the Dems bolstering their constituency by giving voting rights to new citizens (aka, "undocumented immigrants"), would the British Catholic population then "embrace" the Royals with new interest, perhaps making the Monarchy feel that more Brits love their Monarcy - more than ever?

Personally, based on the history of England and the Catholic Church, and having read most of a book written in 1607, Diary of a Hunted Priest, my reply to the Monarchy would be, "Thanks, but no thanks."

However, the upside of it is, in my opinion, that with the first inter-faith marriage, the Orangemen in Northern Island may have to work a little harder to proudly jut their chins out, in that year's parade. I would be succumbing to some schadenfreude.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 10:00 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Personally, based on the history of England and the Catholic Church, and having read most of a book written in 1607, Diary of a Hunted Priest, my reply to the Monarchy would be, "Thanks, but no thanks."
Since you read that "book written in 1607", your Latin must be very good!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 10:17 am
Jesus, this just gets more and more bizarre.

Quote:
Salt Water Taffy is a variety of soft taffy originally produced and marketed in the Atlantic City, New Jersey, area beginning in the late 19th century.

Source

Earlier, Izzy said that Cromwell could not have been Welsh, because he was born in Huntingdon. Mary Tudor was born in a palace in Greenwich.

While we're at it, Taffy is an insulting term for the Welsh, just as bad as calling an Irishman a Paddy.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 12:35 pm
@Setanta,
Well done, you spotted that Salt Water Taffy was bullshit. Laver Bread Mary slipped you by though.
Quote:
What the Welsh called her is meaningless.

Anally obsessing on the minutiae of History can mean that you miss the big picture. Particularly so, when your motivation isn't out of any real interest in the subject but because you just like insulting people and picking fights.

You couldn't be bothered to google Laver Bread Mary, but I knew you wouldn't be able to resist Salt Water Taffy

Byw, Taffy is not an insult. I've known many Welshmen who've introduced themselves as Taff. It's an affectionate term. Maybe not in the past, but it is now.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 01:03 pm
@izzythepush,
Only the lyrics have been an insult.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Mary also loved sailing which is where the phrase Salt Water Taffy originates.
Was the candy named after the Welsh, or vice-versa ??
Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 01:18 pm
@izzythepush,
You post bullshit, you get called on it, so you claim that i just want to insult people. You're the perpetual bigot who tries to claim that Taffy and Paddy are not insults. You're the perpetual bigot who uses such terms. You're a sad case.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 01:24 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
My Mom was not in favor of anyone putting on airs.

She enjoyed going to arrogant people's funerals.

Joe(such a pleasure to see them lying there with their big mouths shut)Nation
The lace was deemed to be ostentatious ?