Anyone have a portable air conditioner?

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:40 am
I am reading so many mixed reviews about portable air conditioners and the prices range from $200 - $600. Anyone have any luck with a certain brand?

I want to cool down a 13 x 20' room. I understand that venting is an issue and have that covered.

Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:30 am
Here's my take at this consumer info. This is not intended to be all inclusive.

LG and Frigidaire in the category have very good ratings according to Consumer Reports.

LG model LW1210ER (1210, 1211, 1212).
cooling power 12k BTU (350-650 sq ft)
sells for approx $320

Pros:
The energy saver mode could reduce your utility bills. The unit also features a slide-out chassis, exterior support brackets, and up/down louver control. The complete sealed refrigeration system and the compressor are backed by a 5-yr guarantee.
has a remote control

Cons:
reported to be much harder to install than others.
reported to somewhat noiser than othera.

Frigidaire LRA107BU1 (Lowes)
Frigidaire FRA106CT1 (equiv of above)
Cooling Power: 10k BTU (350-550 sq ft)
Sells for approx: $270- $295

Pros: energy saver mode could reduce your utility bills. This model also features auto-fan speed, and up/down louver control.
The complete sealed refrigeration system and the compressor are backed by a 5-yr guarantee.
Unit is relatively lightweight at 58 pounds
has remote control

Cons: model lacks a slide-out chassis and is much harder to install than others.
Not especially quiet at any speed. Some consumers say it's noisier indoors than the avg so it's not recomm for a bedroom but fine for living room or lounge

Buying Guide info:

All the air conditioners in our latest tests do an excellent job of cooling and come with such convenient features as a digital display, a built-in timer, a remote control, or touchpad controls. But some models are noisy and others struggled to cool during brownouts. Find out which to buy for your home.

Low prices and high efficiency make room air conditioners an inexpensive alternative to central air for cooling one or two rooms. Some 5,000- to 6,000-Btu units now cost less than $150. Our air-conditioner guide will help you choose what's right for you.

All the models we tested meet the 9.7 Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) now required for small and medium-sized models below 8,000 British thermal units (Btu) per hour, and the 9.8 EER required for larger, 8,000- to 13,999-Btu models. Most also meet or exceed the 10.7 EER needed to qualify for Energy Star. And all now have electrical plugs that help prevent fires by shutting down if the power cord is damaged.

Find out whether replacing your air conditioner makes sense by using the savings calculator on the room air conditioners page at www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=roomac.pr_properly_sized. (Every 0.1 increase in EER translates into about a one percent drop in electricity use.) Also keep the following in mind:

Size it correctly

An air conditioner that's too small won't do a good job cooling a room. One that's too big cools the area so quickly that it doesn't have time to remove enough moisture, so it leaves you with a cold, clammy room.

Note the noise

Models that scored excellent or very good in our noise tests are so quiet that the only sound you might hear is the fan running. But air conditioners that scored fair for noise could disturb light sleepers when set on low and are distracting on high.

Factor in the window location

Air conditioners generally do a better job blowing air in one direction than in the other. That can be a problem if your window isn't centered on the wall. To uniformly cool a room, you'll need to direct air to its center, so check whether your A/C needs to blow air to the right or to the left.

Check the warranty

Frigidaires sold at Lowe's come with a five-year warranty, but it's just one year for similar models sold at other retailers
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:49 am
@PUNKEY,
Someone sent me a portable air-conditioner. If I ever get it out of the box, I'll let you know what I think.
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:55 am
@Roberta,
Need a hand? It sure as hell isn't going to be any cooler for awhile. If I were local (with an hour) I'd install it for you. I'm only a 1200 mile drive.
Roberta

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:19 am
@Ragman,
Someone agreed to help me. But he didn't say when. It's only 97 degrees. What's the hurry?

Thanks for the offer. You're a good kid.
sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:49 am
@Roberta,
Only 97?! You're a cooler person than I am.

But then I knew that.
Roberta

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 12:17 pm
@sozobe,
Coolth is an eye of the beholder thing, soz.

If it's any consolation, I just checked. With our humidity (not too high today) it feels like about 105 deg.

0 Replies