This is from FOX News, so one never knows if it is true.---BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,742 • Replies: 88
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:59 pm
Well there's a place several Deaniacs will be going.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 07:35 pm
Re: Nader to Jump in Presidential Race
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
With Nader now in the race, 43 percent said they would vote for Bush if the election was held today, 42 percent for Kerry and 4 percent for Nader.

NOooo! NOT AGAIN!!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:54 pm
Nader got Bush elected last time. Now the s0b is going to try to do it again.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:00 pm
I keep hearing that he doesn't officially announce til tomorrow.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:05 pm
Do you get the idea that Ralph Nader is SERIOUSLY pissed off at the Democratic Party ?

Whatever it is that you Dem's did to him to cause him to do things like this, keep it up! Laughing Very Happy Laughing
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:27 pm
It strikes me that Mr Nader has a very large ego. It doen't bother him that the Green's no longer support him; it doesn't matter that he may do harm to the Dems. He gets to be on Meet The Press tomorrow morning! Yippee! That's all he wants.
Will he get the attention and the few percentage point votes he craves? Probably. Can he swing the election to the Repubs again? Perhaps.
He marches to his own drummer, doesn't he?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:41 pm
Ralph Nader
I've known Ralph Nader since the 1960s when he was very young. We worked together on consumer issues for many years.

I respected Ralph then and continue to do so---however, I wish he wouldn't help George Bush win reelection, no matter how principled his motives were and remain so.

BBB
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:40 pm
Ralph Nader is a brainless egotist who is going to single-handedly ruin the chances for a Democratic president. Again.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:53 pm
I understand your feelings, BB, but all things considered, Nader is a disgrace.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:54 pm
Fact is, all things considered, Nader has done more damange to the environment and the other causes he champions -- than any other human currently alive.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:55 pm
damn, the way Nader regards the public, you would think he was a candidate from a major political party.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 08:15 pm
Interesting, Frank, I see your point on that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 08:28 pm
I believe if Nader does run he stands to alienate 70% or more of those who have always supported him. I would continue to like him, but, his influence as a public figure might well end if he really does run this time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 08:31 pm
I would hope so. I mean his ability to cream off votes that might go to lesser harm.

I'm pretty eco myself, but nothing if not practical.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:02 pm
Again?
Will Darth Nader fight for the Darkside again?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 03:01 am
Nader's nadir
The following represents how I feel about any Nader 2004 candidacy, which would tarnish his admirable reputation of over 40 years. The only thing I disagree with is that it's about his vanity and ego. Ralph passionately believes what he says about the corporate takeover of America and wants to build a third party to help the people regain their power over the government.---BBB

Nader's nadir
By Eric Boehlert

Even many of his former allies don't support maverick Ralph Nader's presidential bid. And more mainstream Democrats aren't just mad, they're apoplectic.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Feb. 21, 2004 | Word that Ralph Nader will formally announce his plan to run for president this weekend as an independent stirred harsh words and emotions not just among Democrats, but even among the leftists and independents who supported Nader four years ago. Facing an election that they regard as the most crucial in decades, they're stunned and angry that Nader has decided to reprise his third-party candidacy from 2000, which played such a crucial role in siphoning votes away from then Vice President Al Gore and handing the election to George W. Bush.

"It's hypocrisy of the highest level. It's egotism of the highest level. It's dishonesty of the highest level to say 'I'm running as an independent,' when all he's doing is helping elect Bush, and he knows it," says Elizabeth Holtzman, former New York City congresswoman and U.S. district attorney. "He's nothing but a shill for George Bush. A shill, period."

Another Nader candidacy "would be bad for him, and it would be bad for the country," says Danny Goldberg, founder of Artemis Records and longtime political activist. "My wife and I hosted a fundraiser for him in 2000. I was proud to do it. I think he's one of the great people of the last century. But I certainly wouldn't support him this time. His candidacy will tarnish his image and help the president. In my view that's unhealthy."

Even some of Nader's closest progressive allies have their doubts. "I love and appreciate him, but I definitely want to get Bush out of office, so I won't vote for him, which would be a first for me," says Medea Benjamin, the Green Party candidate for U.S. Senate from California in 2000. She says it's good that Nader is not running as a Green Party candidate, because it will allow someone else within the organization to gain national attention as a presidential candidate.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 08:54 am
He did confirm this morning he is running as an independent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 09:15 am
I agree with much that Nader says, but will never vote for him again. He accurately pointed out that the two major political parties are on convergent paths. That is to say, the end effect of their policies are dictated by the special interests. Everybody applauded Clinton for taking away Republican issues by adopting them as his own. I would say that makes him as much Republican as Democrat. The one variable this time around is the loose cannons, Bush, Cheney, and the rest of their key decision makers. For that reason alone I will vote the Democratic ticket, regardless of who gets nominated. I long ago vowed to never vote for even the best Republicans, but I have not vowed to always vote Democrat.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 09:51 am
Nadar's statement
Ralph Nader Announces Run for Presidency
By SAM HANANEL, AP
Nader will run as an independent.

WASHINGTON (Feb. 22) - Consumer advocate Ralph Nader announced Sunday he will run again for the presidency, declaring that Washington has become "corporate occupied territory'' and arguing there is too little difference between the Democratic and Republican parties.

Nader, who will turn 70 this week, said he contemplated retirement but decided against that. "I've decided to run as an independent candidate for president,'' he announced on NBC's "Meet The Press.''

"This country has more problems and injustices than it deserves,'' Nader said, bemoaning a "democracy gap.'' He said he needed to get into the race to ``challenge this two-party duopoly.''

"There's too much power and wealth in too few hands,'' he said . "They have taken over Washington.''

"Washington is now corporate occupied territory,'' Nader said. "There is now a for-sale sign on most agencies and departments. ... Money is flowing in like never before. It means that corporations are saying no to the necessities of the American people. ... Basically, it's question of both parties flunking.''

Asked if he would withdraw if he concluded his candidacy would merely ensure President Bush's re-election, Nader told interviewer Tim Russert, "When and if that eventuality occurs, you can invite me back on the program and I'll give you the answer.''

Nader decided against running under the banner of the Green Party. His candidacy four years ago has been blamed by many Democrats for costing Al Gore the election against George W. Bush.

Last week, Democratic National Committee chairman Terry McAuliffe revealed that he had met with Nader several times urging him not to run.

"Let me say, this is going to be difficult,'' said Nader, who planned a round of interviews after his announcement. "This isn't just our fight. This is a fight for all third parties ... They want to have a chance to compete. This is not a democracy that can be controlled by two parties in the grip of corporate interests.''

Third party candidacies have been a greater part of presidential politics in recent years; businessman Ross Perot twice ran for president, winning 19 percent of the vote in his first try in 1988 against George Herbert Walker Bush and Michael Dukakis.

"It's his personal vanity because he has no movement. Nobody's backing him,'' New Mexico Democratic Gov. Bill Richardson said Sunday in advance of Nader's announcement.

"The Greens aren't backing him. His friends urge him not to do it. It's all about himself,'' Richardson told "Fox News Sunday.''

"Now, Ralph's made some great contributions to consumer issues over the years, but clearly it's not going to help us,'' he said. "I don't think he'll have a sizable impact, but it's terrible if he goes ahead because it's about him. It's about his ego. It's about his vanity and not about a movement that supposedly he headed for many years very effectively.''

As the Green Party's nominee in 2000, Nader appeared on the ballot in 43 states and Washington, D.C., garnering only 2.7 percent of the vote. But in Florida and New Hampshire, Bush won such narrow victories that had Gore received the bulk of Nader's votes in those states, he would have won the general election.
0 Replies