BillRM
 
  2  
Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:00 am
@hawkeye10,
Agree in not taking a chance in getting the state involved and perhaps giving him a life time record of criminal conduct!!!!

No matter how low the odds are it is not worth the risk to his future.

Howabout mailing the cards back with a note of apologize that does not ID him instead and making him donate some time helping a good cause or some such?

hawkeye10
 
  0  
Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:16 am
@BillRM,
Or if the store runs a donation to a cause program make him put into the jar triple the value of what he stold.....the main point here is that the kid not benefit from his crime and that he be aware that he did a crime with out running the risk of the state harming your family.
0 Replies
 
nqyringmind
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:38 am
@HelpPlz,
There's some great advice here and some that seems, let's say, incongruous.
14 is often an age where kids begin to explore, question, rebel...etc
Perhaps there is a message here that offers an opportunity for the both of you.
Is this really about shoplifting? Or is there something else going on in his life?
Has anything changed recently at home or school that might be a contributing factor?
Lustig Andrei
 
  2  
Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:46 am
@nqyringmind,
nqyringmind wrote:

There's some great advice here and some that seems, let's say, incongruous.
14 is often an age where kids begin to explore, question, rebel...etc
Perhaps there is a message here that offers an opportunity for the both of you.
Is this really about shoplifting? Or is there something else going on in his life?
Has anything changed recently at home or school that might be a contributing factor?


Yup. That's why I suggested a dialogue.
nqyringmind
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:52 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Absolutely a must! Idea
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

AGREED.
The kid might end up in jail
for going to the victim store and confessing.

( Its not like ly to go all the way, but even so; the father shud be loyal to his son. )
[/quote]

Agree. It's very unlikely to go this way, but I would surely consider the possibility, at least if I hadn't made contact with the store manager first. I think it would be impossible to get a conviction against an adult with nothing except an unsworn, voluntary statement, but different standards seem to apply to juveniles.

Anyway, as Michael Corlone famously said, "Never take sides with anyone against the family. Not ever."
roger
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:56 am
@roger,
Oh well. I hope everyone understands I was trying to quote David.
0 Replies
 
HelpPlz
 
  1  
Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:42 pm
@sozobe,
We already paid for all of them
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:01 pm
@HelpPlz,
That's what I'd gathered, thanks for the further info!
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:48 pm
@roger,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

AGREED.
The kid might end up in jail
for going to the victim store and confessing.

( Its not like ly to go all the way, but even so; the father shud be loyal to his son. )
roger wrote:


Agree. It's very unlikely to go this way, but I would surely consider the possibility,
at least if I hadn't made contact with the store manager first.


I think it would be impossible to get a conviction against an adult with nothing except an unsworn, voluntary statement, but
Well, if he shows up with the loot in hand and a confession ??????


roger wrote:
different standards seem to apply to juveniles.
What do u have in mind ?
0 Replies
 
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:31 pm
@HelpPlz,
Did your son pay for them?

If not, he should work to reimburse you - if he did and he truly is sorry (I'm sure you can tell) - then I'd suggest a talk and explain you do seems sorry and what have you learned and stuff = and then say since you learned from this and have made restitution, here are your cards and now go have a good time with them.
0 Replies
 
Molly3
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:38 am
@sozobe,
I wonder about his question is so complex.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

My daughter - Discussion by Seed
acting out or real problem - Question by Bl08791
Tween girls - Discussion by sozobe
Nebraska Safe Haven Law - Discussion by Diest TKO
For Parents - Discussion by shawn1989
 
  1. Forums
  2. » My Son
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/27/2022 at 05:19:27