I got a gremlin!!!!

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 04:46 pm
For the last couple of weeks -- from time to time (almost always in the evening) I get some sounds -- including someone yelling a name. It is the same voice -- and the same sounds every time. And once it starts, it goes on every fifteen minutes.

Have no idea of why it does not happen during the day -- but it just started a few minutes ago.

Any ideas about what is going on?

How do I check this thing out?

How do I stop the bloody thing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,105 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:07 pm
Is it coming from inside or outside of the house?

If it's from outside, then maybe it someone yelling for their child or pet.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:08 pm
Frank
Sounds coming from where?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:09 pm
You serious Frank? And this is a computer problem?

<just trying to make sure>
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:11 pm
Just a wag. Could it be a pop up ad where the video is blocked but the audio comes through? I have no idea as to the plausibility of this.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:13 pm
If you hear the words your time is up. I think it's time to start worrying> Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:21 pm
a valid agnostic would record and then analyze the sounds and not open up the issue to speculation on a forum internet site.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:47 pm
Ohhh, You're hearing voices coming from your computer. It all makes sense now. Don't worry Frank, you're just losing your mind, LOL.

Just kidding Frank. I don't know what to tell ya since I've never heard anyone yelling through my computer.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 08:47 pm
I'll be glad to offer some help with this mystery, once I get more info about it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:56 pm
Frank, you're not nuts, I got that too. I even remember the thread... but then it happened on other topics. The voice said, hello, this is Tina.. and within a minute or so my computer froze. It happened about three times, and I rebooted each time.

Then, for no good reason except personal voodoo, I cleared up my cookie cache, and ran a virus check (none).

Haven't run into it since (that was two days ago), but damn, it was weird. It did cross my mind that my cursor might have hit some ad, but I think probably not.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:36 am
Frank, turn the alarm switch on your clock radio to 'OFF'.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:47 am
Osso said...

Quote:
The voice said, hello, this is Tina

(guess we know where Osso has been hanging around)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:12 am
Just looked this over.

Damn -- I did forget to mention the sounds and voices were coming from the computer speakers...but that is where the problem is.

It is the most annoying problem I've ever had to deal with.

Most of the time I just keep the sound way down in the evenings -- so that it can bearly be heard. (The sounds never come in the day for some reason -- just after 5)

By the way -- Nancy gets the same problem when she is on-line -- so I am not being delusional.

After posting this last night -- I decided to pay close attention whenever it happened. The name being called is "Ralphie."

This is not a joke.

I have a complete virus scan done every week.

Osso -- glad someone else has had a similar problem. There is NO freeze up associated with the sounds.

If anyone can come up with anything, I'd sure as heck appreciate it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:29 am
I had been getting "Tina" for the last few days. First time it happened, I nearly jumped out of my skin. I checked, and found that (in small print) it said something about the ad starting when the cursor was run over it. Ralphie may be comething similar, so watch where you put your mouse! Laughing
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:35 am
Try searching sound files, e.g., with the extension ".wav" on your computer.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:28 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Just looked this over.

Damn -- I did forget to mention the sounds and voices were coming from the computer speakers...but that is where the problem is.

It is the most annoying problem I've ever had to deal with.

Most of the time I just keep the sound way down in the evenings -- so that it can bearly be heard. (The sounds never come in the day for some reason -- just after 5)

By the way -- Nancy gets the same problem when she is on-line -- so I am not being delusional.

After posting this last night -- I decided to pay close attention whenever it happened. The name being called is "Ralphie."

This is not a joke.

I have a complete virus scan done every week.

Osso -- glad someone else has had a similar problem. There is NO freeze up associated with the sounds.

If anyone can come up with anything, I'd sure as heck appreciate it.

My stepdad was a cb radio junkie. I used to joke with him that I can see his antennae from five miles outside of town, he had one of those moon scraper tower rigs hooked up to a zillion watt transciever. His 'joie de la vie' was to talk to someone in Florida on the cb, no small feat from Ohio.

I would be in my room reading, the lights would flicker and sandy's ( my dog) hair would stand on end like she had an afro ...... this meant daddy Paul was home and he had fired up 'the power booster on his cb.(more power ---- more range). Five minutes later the phone would start ringing and mom's voice would shout 'PAUL .... PAUL ... BILL (a neighbor) SAYS HE'S GONNA CALL THE COPS!!
All the extra power being pushed through Paul's cb caused a 'bleed through' of his transmission into any device designed to recieve a signal ..... like Bill's television.
I suspect that may be your problem also. All you can do is call the local authority and complain ...... it could be Art Carney trying to contact Jackie Gleason.

Or ......................... "Welcome, art lovers. We offer for your approval a still life, if you will, of noise - a soundless canvas suggestive of sound. The mouth belongs to Pamela. In life, a shrieking battle-ax made up of adenoids, tonsils, and sound decibels. In death, an unmuted practitioner of fishwifery, undeterred and ungagged by what one would assume to be the Great Silencer. Some ghosts come back to haunt; others come back simply to pick up where they left off. Our painting is called Pamela's Voice, and this is the Night Gallery."

http://www.nightgallery.net/artpics/11Pamela.JPG

Be afraid ..... be very afraid Frank
MUWAHAHAHAHAHAA
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 08:27 am
Frank, you might try running Spybot and see if that removes this particular computer demon. If not, run HijackThis while you're hearing the sounds ...click 'scan', then 'save log', then copy & paste the info here. What will be of primary interest is the portion which lists currently running processes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:55 pm
Phoenix said...

Quote:
I had been getting "Tina" for the last few days

We're happy for you.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:05 pm
heh!

I kinda figured you'd bring that bit out.

Frank, do the sounds continue if you close all programs you have running, including IE windows?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:13 pm
Several days ago I ran across an audio ad ( I think it was on A2K) by accident when I hit it with my curser. I solved that problem by turning the speakers off. Internet ads should be seen not heard.
0 Replies