President George H.W. Bush: 'Who The Hell Is Grover Norquist, Anyway?'

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 10:56 am
President George H.W. Bush: 'Who The Hell Is Grover Norquist, Anyway?'
The Huffington Post | By Patrick Svitek
07/13/2012

The president whose legacy is partly defined by three words -- "no new taxes" -- seems to care little about the ubiquitous pledge that touts the same phrase.

In an interview with Parade magazine to be published Sunday, former President George H.W. Bush pans the Taxpayer Protection Pledge, the Grover Norquist-backed anti-tax oath that politicians sign to promise they will never vote for a tax increase.

In the 112th Congress, 238 representatives and 41 senators -- all but three of them Republicans -- have taken the pledge.

"The rigidity of those pledges is something I don’t like," Bush said. "The circumstances change and you can’t be wedded to some formula by Grover Norquist. It’s -- who the hell is Grover Norquist, anyway?"

His wife, former First Lady Barbara Bush, did not mince her words either when it came to the anti-tax crusader.

"I think he ought to go back to Alaska," she said, referring to previous comments she made about Sarah Palin in a 2010 interview. "Don't quote me!"

President Bush's remarks echo a similar sentiment shared by House Speaker John Boehner last year. The Ohio Republican told reporters that it is "not often I'm asked about some random person in America" when pressed whether Norquist was a positive or negative force for the House GOP conference.

Norquist told "The Daily Show" in February that he came up with the idea for the pledge when he was 12 years old, about the same time that Bush served in the House of Representatives.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 946 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 11:58 am
Yes, I agree.
It's a stupid idea, the kind thought up by a 12 year old.

And yet this generation of GOP is wedded to it as if it were a revelation.

Joe(the ultimate in thinking simple ideas can solve complex problems)Nation
RABEL222

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:14 am
@Joe Nation,
It seems that most of the ideas the politicians in Washington come up with are stupid.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:11 pm
@RABEL222,
I'm not sure that is true, Rabel.... I would like more of them to pledge the following:
"I will only vote for bills which increase the power of the powerless."

Joe(Even I find that simplistic)Nation
0 Replies