Olympic Uniforms - Big Stink or Little Smelly?

snood

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 08:54 am
I'm not sure what I think about this...

Lawmakers furious over China-made Olympic uniform

WASHINGTON – Uniforms for U.S. Olympic athletes are American red, white and blue — but made in China. That has members of Congress fuming.

Republicans and Democrats railed Thursday about the U.S. Olympic Committee's decision to dress the U.S. team in Chinese manufactured berets, blazers and pants while the American textile industry struggles economically with many U.S. workers desperate for jobs.

"I am so upset. I think the Olympic committee should be ashamed of themselves. I think they should be embarrassed. I think they should take all the uniforms, put them in a big pile and burn them and start all over again," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told reporters at a Capitol Hill news conference on taxes.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/13/lawmakers-furious-over-china-made-olympic-uniform/

They are also ranting about the beret that's part of the uniform - saying it's something the French would wear... someone said this morning that "Hugo Chavez also wears a beret!"

I get the argument about giving that business to the US - letting US workers get the benefit of that uniform business (the jackets alone cost something like $400 for the women's and $600 for the men's). It's just hard not to think of all this ballyhoo as more political maneuvering.

I mean shyt - some of the US military uniform apparel isn't made in the USA (at least it wasn't when I left active duty in 2010). And the whole Army was wearing berets for 10 years, until they wised up about 18 months or so ago and went back to the regular utility cap.

So, whady'all think? Big deal, or BS?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 09:15 am
Meh. I buy American whenever possible, but it's not exactly the end of the world. And soon you'll have RG coming in here and calling anyone who is pissed hateful for not wanting other countries to thrive.

Little smelly, but that's it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 09:29 am
Many armies and other types of disciplined bodies around the world wear berets, many sections of the British Army do, and to say they are a bad thing because "the French" do is one of those things that make many people think Americans are stupid. What is wrong with being French anyway?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 09:37 am
Uhm . . . who mentioned the French? I mean, other than you.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 09:56 am
@Setanta,
snood. And most other reports about the Olympic uniform (they mentioned England as well, though)
Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 09:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
OK, i missed that until i read back through it.
contrex

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 10:15 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

OK, i missed that until i read back through it.

It is generally a good idea to make sure you know what you are talking about before making a knob of yourself. (Oh, I forgot who I was talking to.)
ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 10:19 am
@snood,
there was a short-lived fit one year when the Canadian uniforms were made in the U.S.

<shrug>
Ceili

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 10:43 am
@ehBeth,
I'm not sure where the uniforms are made, but the Hudson Bay's owned by an American company now. They make the profits off of Canuck patriotism. And so it goes...
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIn8rw61LdxtfPlA5uaiwDDg5JR9L9EPHN9FEUxdwCfmJXqeNf
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 11:40 am
@snood,
Bah. If they purchased American then someone would be screaming about how they wasted money by not bidding it out.

Damned it they do, damned if they don't.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
raprap

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 11:59 am
As the US has the highest incarceration rate in the world--I nominate an Orange jumpsuit as the Olympic Uniform.

Rap
Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 12:10 pm
Hehehehehehehe . . . just besure it's American made . . .
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 12:44 pm
@ehBeth,
I think Canada made them twice. I don't remember any big brouhaha about it, though.

Cyclo...took me a while to figure out your post LOL. Finally got it Smile

Beth: Sorry, read your post wrong (lol only had one coffee this morning). Anyway, youse guys made ours twice - we liked 'em!

2012...Red, White and Blah? I think they're spiffy!
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXk6vCmmeyRekFmweQwWHiYT83zyDjz-_ICiAtdwp9PObWz_YQ

Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 01:11 pm
I used to set up next to a tool guy at some of the Eastern car shows.

he draped his space with giant red white and blue banners. called himself the American tool company or somesuch...

I walked through one time, just to be sure of what was up.

not an American made tool in the whole place...
Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 01:18 pm
I guess my point is this...

what better way to portray America's athletes than to dress them in Chinese made clothing.

it is a blatantly accurate portrayal of us as a society...

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Chinese-industrialist-behind-Hawker-Beechcraft-bid-3703951.php
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 05:04 pm
Okay. After going through a whole news cycle day of hearing about this uniform flap, I've come to an opinion about it. It's a buncha politicking opportunism, by those pols making the most noise about it. At any given moment, I'd venture to say that some if not all of what anyone of us is wearing has material or workmanship from other than the US (I checked my tags - Honduras and the Phillipines).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 05:05 pm
@Rockhead,
wellll, mebbe just the guy
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 06:16 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
I think Canada made them twice.
Found it! Roots Canada made the uniforms for the U.S. Olympic team in both 2002 and 2004.

Did ya know THAT Harry??? Huh? Didya?
Ceili

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 06:38 pm
@Irishk,
Roots is actually an American/Canadian company, founded by two guys from Michigan who spent summer in cottage country in Canada. Their first store sold shoes in Toronto and employed many members of SCTV fame.