Olympic Uniforms - Big Stink or Little Smelly?

Irishk

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 06:55 pm
@Ceili,
I saw that, but it was Roots Canada that made our uniforms, right?
Ceili

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 07:05 pm
@Irishk,
Yup, they made the previous Olympic stuff from 1998 to 2004 for our team and they were a hit or hip, so it only made sense for the USA to get on board, from 2002 - 2004. I'm not sure when they became passé. I haven't really checked out the new uniforms for Canada, but I'm sure it'll be more of the same. Plaid, Hudson's Bay colours - like the blankets, leather and lots and lots of red and maple leafs.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 07:32 pm
@Ceili,
here's the Canadian track team in this year's gear

http://media.mmgcommunity.topscms.com/images/3a/41/b6fa7147419e9b6ab8b9d24a0b0e.jpg

pretty darn Zellers to me (though it's from Nike)

the big deal is that a lot of the fabric is made from recycled pop bottles
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 07:38 pm
@Ceili,
http://www.thebay.com/eng/hbccollections-olympiccollection-thebay?gclid=COjC8bODmLECFWaFQAodVVTihA

no plaid or leather or blankety stuff

lots of red and maple leaves

some of the stuff looks like the Molson's Canadian gear from The Beer Store
Irishk

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 07:46 pm
Some Senate democrats are wanting to introduce the “Team USA Made in America Act of 2012.” Shocked

Guess there's not much else going on lol.

#DoingJustFine
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 07:48 pm
@Irishk,
Well, they aren't allowed to pass any bills of consequence, due to the constant filibuster. Gotta do something to pass the time.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 07:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That's probably it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 07:57 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, I guess the plaid and blankets make more sense for winter. I'll probably buy a t-shirt anyway.. lol
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 03:02 am
@snood,
Heh heh.....gotta love the beret!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 03:04 am
@raprap,
WORD! And they'd look all lively and energetic and all.

But seriously....the Olympics is all ABOUT nationalism and such nonsense. I think it was dumb to get them made in China.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 03:21 am
@dlowan,
Australian uniforms for the Olympics were made in China, too.
Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:29 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Olympic Uniforms - Big Stink or Little Smelly?

I'd say much ado about nothing. In theory, the Olympic Games are about putting petty nationalism aside for a while and celebrating together. The ancient Greeks even put wars on hold during the Olympics (or so they taught me in high school). Bitching about the national origin of ones uniforms falls under petty nationalism for me. Shame on Harry Reid for suggesting the team should burn the uniforms and start from scratch.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 07:35 am
I wanted to take a survey and see where the clothing the politicians were wearing was made, and the newscasters. The camera's etc.

Much ado about nothing. It's a world market these days. The children in China need a job too.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 07:47 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

I wanted to take a survey and see where the clothing the politicians were wearing was made, and the newscasters. The camera's etc.

I quite like that idea! particularly the clothing of those politicians trying to make noise out of this
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 03:04 pm
@IRFRANK,
Say, that's a GREAT idea! Make the pols show the labels on their clothing, including underwear etc. Buy American, Mitt and Barack, buy only American.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 03:21 pm
@dlowan,
True words there, re nationalism being a key feature of the Olympics. The jingoism in the Olympic programs I used to watch would really get to me. So.. I see your point. On the other hand, except for crabby folks like me who wanted to know about other athletes too, it is - to me - a kind of harmless nationalism, fun for people to root for their own country's athletes. Also, to be serious for a second, I tend to like events like Palios (between areas in a city) and much of sports, including the Olympics, to be more useful than wars.

I've been thinking Reed was off his rocker to go after this. I still think so, as the athletes are presumably proud to get to wear the uniforms of their country in the games, and I'd rather have them enjoy it in unalloyed pleasure.

Oh, and me, I've got four wool berets myself, two black ones, one grey, one grey blue. Very handy in cold weather. You can pull them down over your ears. This looks a little odd, but feels good in cold wind. Uh, I think they're all made in Italy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:54 am
I guess we know now why Romney didn't jump all over the 'made in China' thing:

http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e201761686c496970c-550wi

Quote:
According to reports in 2002, the decision to outsource the torchbearer uniforms to Burma caused an uproar among human rights advocates and trade groups. It prompted the head of the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions to write a letter to the International Olympic Committee, stating that "No responsible organization or body should make use of products originating in Burma."

The American Anti-Slavery Group and the Free Burma Coalition launched a campaign to protest the uniforms and called on the IOC to apologize and “promise to never support -- indirectly or directly -- the Burmese regime."

Torchbearers, too, were shocked to see the “Made in Burma (Myanmar)” label on their tracksuits. "When I looked at the label for the uniform, I went nuts,” said 2002 torchbearer Susan Bonfield in an interview with the Guardian. “When you are sending work representing the U.S. to a military dictatorship, I have an issue with that."

I wonder who made THAT decision? Or if the buck really did stop at the top with Romney.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:58 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I wonder who made THAT decision? Or if the buck really did stop at the top with Romney.

given the interviews I've been hearing from the Romney campaign - explaining that he couldn't have been busy at Bain since he was working so hard saving the SLC Olympics - he's going to have to take credit for one or the other
sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 11:47 am
@ehBeth,
I know, right?

The buck is being treated like a hot potato.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 08:01 pm
Assholes in Congress (mostly Dems like Reid and Schumer) bitch about this immaterial subject, and the kool-ade drinkers blame Romney.

Good God!

How can you be so vapid?