wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 07:44 am
Chicago (I live there.)

only a few hours before they make the announcement
JPB

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 07:48 am
@wandeljw,
Not Chicago (I live there.)

If I lived in Madison or Milwaukee I would want Chicago to get it -- far enough away to not feel crushed, close enough to enjoy the excitement. I lived in Burlington, VT when the Olympics were held in Montreal. It was just about the right distance to be.

I guess I'd say Madrid - not sure why other than I've always wanted to go there. Not that I'd visit during the Games but...
wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 07:53 am
@JPB,
I know the crush of Olympic visitors will be inconvenient. But in 2016, I can start a thread on A2K and report live from the games. Smile
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 07:55 am
madrid or tokyo, more chance of some kind of international incident

sorry but i can't watch any kind of big event with out secretly hoping for something horrible to happen
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:05 am
Chicago.

I have an extra bedroom that I'm willing to rent out to Olympic visitors at very reasonable rates.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:15 am
Rio.

It's nice there.
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:24 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
at very reasonable rates.

Starting at about $250/ night, right?

I want Chicago, mostly for time zones. (I hate when they make the athletes do stuff at like 2:00 in the morning where they are so we in the US can see it, and hate missing the less marquee stuff because it's on at 2:00 in the morning here.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:26 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Rio.

It's nice there.

Yeah, I vote for Rio too. I heard on the radio that the Olympics has never been to South America. Is that true? If so then it should definitely be Rio.
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:29 am
@FreeDuck,
Oh really? And I just checked their time zone, just one hour ahead of us (EST).

OK, if South America has never hosted before, then definitely Rio.

Otherwise, Chicago or Rio.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:31 am
@FreeDuck,
I'm a ditto-head on that one.

Good fir the games to go to another continent (CBC's been giving a lot of coverage to that factor) - better for the non-major league sporting events - the time zone thing would work out well (for me Very Happy )
wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:46 am
http://chicagoist.com/attachments/Marcus%20Gilmer/2009_10_02_rally06.JPG

People have been gathering at Daley Plaza this morning to hear the announcement. I believe the announcement will come in 2 or 3 hours.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:47 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Good fir

did I just make up a new canajanism?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:54 am
Chicago? Yes! I say we give the most corrupt city government in the history of the world a huge vehicle for fleecing more of its residents.

This is a legacy thing for Da Mayor--he gets that **** from his pops. If it turns out we don't get the bid, I'm going hijack a police horse and ride through the plaza, cheeering and banging a tambourine.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:57 am
@wandeljw,
I had no idea it was so soon.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:59 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel, joefromchicago, and I are currently within walking distance of the plaza. (The three of us are at work in downtown Chicago.)

Joefromchicago and I know what Gargamel looks like. If anything bad happens, we will stop him.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:59 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Gargamel, joefromchicago, and I are currently within walking distance of the plaza. (The three of us are at work in downtown Chicago.)

Joefromchicago and I know what Gargamel looks like. If anything bad happens, we will stop him.

Now I'm picturing the three of you on the horse...
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:06 am
http://chicagoist.com/attachments/Marcus%20Gilmer/2009_10_02_rally11.JPG

Scottie Pippen is addressing the crowd. I am trying to get a message to him so that he can make an announcement for the crowd to be on the lookout for Gargamel.
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:08 am
@wandeljw,
Scottie!

I haven't seen him in forever.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:16 am
@sozobe,
Joefromchicago just got up on the stage. He is giving the crowd instructions and a description of Gargamel.

http://chicagoist.com/attachments/Marcus%20Gilmer/2009_10_02_rally08.JPG
0 Replies