Protests Around The World

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2024 12:22 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Do you think the media is trying to reframe a farmers’ protest against the government into a protest of ‘right wing extremists’?
These demonstrations against the AfD and other other right-wing extremist have no connection at all with the farmer's demonstration - actually, farmer organisation have joined the anti-AfD demonstrations (e.g. in Berlin - there's the International Green Week just now, the world's largest fair for processors and marketers in agriculture, horticulture and various food industries.

However, the farmers' protests also have a continuing interest from the right-wing extremists in appropriating the issue for themselves, but - if the reporting media are to be believed - they are marginalised by the farmers
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2024 12:48 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Do you think the media is trying to reframe a farmers’ protest against the government into a protest of ‘right wing extremists’?
I don't hope that you wanted to insult me, but why do you think, I didn't read the papers, watch the news and listened to the radio?

Or do you think, I changed sides and became a conspirator like you?
Lash

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2024 03:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I was asking your opinion of how the media was framing the events.

Exactly as I asked.
I’m almost certain my attempts at insults, rare though they are, are always communicated clearly.

I find your seeming inability to answer a very simple, straightforward question astonishing.

This is my face: 😳
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2024 12:48 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I find your seeming inability to answer a very simple, straightforward question astonishing.

I wrote:
These demonstrations against the AfD and other other right-wing extremist have no connection at all with the farmer's demonstration - actually, farmer organisation have joined the anti-AfD demonstrations (e.g. in Berlin - there's the International Green Week just now, the world's largest fair for processors and marketers in agriculture, horticulture and various food industries.

However, the farmers' protests also have a continuing interest from the right-wing extremists in appropriating the issue for themselves, but - if the reporting media are to be believed - they are marginalised by the farmers.
Sorry, that was a long answer.

So, here's a simple "No"
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2024 05:59 am
🎉🥳Thank you.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2024 12:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Even in Pirna, where an AfD candidate was elected mayor, 1000 people demonstrated. That is impressive.

In my home town, there were more than 2,000 demonstrators on Saturday (the biggest demonstration in decades, even though the conservative CDU [the strongest party in the city and in the city parliament] has talked itself out of taking part.
Today, now, there are 3000 in the county town (a smaller town than my home town, but the CDU is taking part there)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2024 02:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Far-right politicians and social media users have sought to sow distrust in media by claiming that pictures of recent German protests were manipulated.

DW checks those claims
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2024 10:19 am
Tenthousands have protested in Slovakia against the right-populist government in the last couple of days..

More and more people are now demonstrating against the populist government - now alarmed by the plans of Culture Minister Šimkovičová. She wants the state to exert more influence on culture.

The fact that even more people demonstrated against the government in Bratislava last Thursday than the week before was also down to Šimkovičová.
The protests began in December and were primarily directed against Prime Minister Robert Fico's reform of the judiciary. His draft law could hinder the fight against corruption in the country. People took part in the first protests of the new year in 14 cities, 20,000 in Bratislava alone. A week later: around 26,000. In total, people demonstrated in 23 locations in Slovakia - a country with a population of 5.4 million.

What upsets people are not just Šimkovičová's statements, with which she devalues entire groups of people, or her pro-Russian conspiracy narratives. It is her plans for a law that would give the state significantly more influence over cultural institutions. As a result, directors of state museums, theatres and orchestras could in future be dismissed or reappointed by the Minister of Culture herself or by local authorities - without a competition or expert commission.

The minister also wants to intervene in the public media broadcaster RTVS, according to the government programme. According to the programme, RTVS is to be divided into radio and television. Allegedly in the interests of objective reporting. However, Prime Minister Fico made it clear what he thinks of media freedom immediately after being sworn in when he banned several private media from entering parliament.

What's more, the minister's statements are provoking increasingly strong resistance. Frustration and anger are growing steadily.
This Thursday, there are once again huge protests across the country.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2024 03:55 am
I now cannot help but see Israel as an ever-growing American military base on the other major land mass in the world, violently chewing and consuming everything in its path.

I wonder what the Arab leaders are thinking.
Lash

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2024 04:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, I spent some time reading and viewing footage from the protests, and I feel much more confident that these protests are being reported accurately.

I’d seen reports from Canada a couple of years ago that tried to mischaracterize protests to hide anti-government sentiment. You know, most Americans are wary of news.🙃
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2024 05:14 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I feel much more confident that these protests are being reported accurately.
That's fine.

I feel a little reassured now.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2024 03:45 pm
@Lash,
Interesting positioning, Israel.

On the largest land mass—bordering the second largest. The US, the third; it’s vassals, constituting Europe.

Good spot for world domination.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2024 01:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
French right-wing populist Marine Le Pen has clearly distanced herself from the AfD following reports of the Potsdam meeting with right-wing extremists and threatened to end the joint group in the EU Parliament. "I strongly disagree with the proposals that are said to have been discussed at this meeting," said Le Pen with regard to the plans discussed in Potsdam for mass deportations of people with a history of migration in Germany.

Marine Le Pen prend ses distances avec ses partenaires allemands de l’AfD
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2024 11:06 am
On Holocaust Memorial Day, Germans Rally Against Far Right and for Democracy
Quote:
Large crowds have protested since it was revealed that members of the far-right Alternative for Germany party had met with neo-Nazis and those calling for a mass deportation.

https://i.imgur.com/od2IMynl.png

Tens of thousands of people took to the streets across Germany on Holocaust Memorial Day on Saturday to demonstrate in support of democracy and against the rise of a far-right party, the Alternative for Germany, or AfD, which is on track to make political gains in state elections this year.

In towns and medium-sized cities like Düsseldorf, Kiel, Mannheim and Osnabrück, demonstrators held aloft signs that read: “There’s no Alternative to Democracy,” “Kick out Nazis” and “Voting for the AfD is so 1933,” a reference to the period in which the Nazis rose to power.

In Germany, Holocaust Memorial Day, which this year marks the 79th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp by the Soviet army, is associated with the pledge “Never again.” That vow has taken on a new resonance amid the Hamas-led Oct. 7 attack on Israel, a rise in antisemitic incidents in Germany, and the likelihood that a far-right party with extremist elements will gain further political power.

“I always thought that our next generation would live even more openly, more tolerantly, without fear and concerns,” said Dursiye Ayyildiz, who leads an organization that speaks out for migrants in Kiel and addressed the crowd there. “However, I can see that right-wing ideas are unfortunately being passed on — and that worries me for the next generation,” she said.

Millions in Germany have rallied in cities like Berlin, Munich and Hamburg, and in smaller towns, in the past several weeks since the news emerged that a group of AfD officials had met with neo-Nazis and other far-right figures at a hotel in Potsdam to discuss the possibility of a mass deportation from Germany of millions of immigrants and others deemed to be foreigners.

On Friday night, activists lit candles to spell out the phrase “Never again is now,” in front of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin. And Chancellor Olaf Scholz said in his weekly video address, “January 27 calls out to us: Stay visible! Stay audible!” adding, “Against antisemitism, against racism, against misanthropy — and for our democracy.”

Saturday’s demonstrations drew about 100,000 participants in Düsseldorf, about 20,000 in Mannheim and about 11,500 in the northern city of Kiel, according to police estimates. Dozens of protests were staged in smaller towns and villages as well.

Similar demonstrations have also taken place in neighboring Austria, where concern has likewise grown over the influence of the far right. Tens of thousand of people protested in a pro-democracy rally outside Parliament in Vienna on Friday night, and smaller protests were held in Salzburg and Innsbruck.

Although support for the AfD has surged in Germany in recent months, the news of the meeting and the ensuing demonstrations against the far right have put the party on the back foot.

This past week, Tino Chrupalla, the party’s co-chairman, went on public television to deny that the party had approved the secret meeting. Marine Le Pen, the longtime AfD ally in France who remains a presidential hopeful there for 2027, threatened to stop cooperating with the party over the meeting. And recent polls have suggested a dent in its popularity, with the party’s support dropping to less than 20 percent of respondents for the first time in many months.

Concern over the far right’s influence in the country has also grown as investigative journalists have uncovered links between respected members of society and the extreme right. This past week, the public broadcaster ARD found that a former Berlin state politician had been giving money to the Identitarian Movement, which espouses the superiority of European ethnic groups. The movement’s chief ideologue, Martin Sellner, was one of the central players in the secret meeting and is a longtime proponent of mass deportations.

The developments have prompted many to compare modern Germany with the Weimar Republic, the fragile democracy of the 1920s and 1930s whose failure gave rise to the Nazis.

Germany’s defense minister, Boris Pistorius, drew that comparison on Saturday as he addressed a crowd of about 25,000 in Osnabrück, a town where he was mayor for seven years. He told those present that the AfD was looking to change Germany’s entire societal system.

“This means nothing other than that they want to return to the dark times of racial madness, discrimination, inequality and injustice,” Mr. Pistorius said.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2024 12:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The largest demonstration today in my state was in Düsseldorf, more than 100,000 demonstrators

https://i.imgur.com/tvdw9CZl.png

Tens of thousands already demonstrated on Friday, and dozens of demonstrations are planned again tomorrow.

(The situation is similar in other federal states.)
Lash

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2024 12:14 pm
I think a huge swath of the world is watching, Walter, hoping sensible policies succeed.

Best wishes for Germany.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2024 07:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Despite protests against the party: AfD party records rising membership figures

Although there are massive protests against the AfD, the number of members is increasing.
Reports about a meeting of right-wing extremists attended by AfD politicians even seem to be encouraging supporters to join the party.

As a written response to an enquiry by SPIEGEL revealed, "new applications for admission received and entered into the system" in the period from 1 to 25 January amounted to "a good 2,500" - 1,900 of them since 10 January alone, according to the AfD's statement. However, these still need to be checked. According to the AfD constitution, there is a one-month objection period.

The reference to 10 January by the AfD is not without reason:
On this day, the Correctiv research centre published its report on a meeting near Potsdam on 25 November 2023, which was attended by radical right-wingers, including AfD politicians.

According to the data provided by the party, "137 to 202 applications per day" were received between 20 and 24 January.

"It is very likely that this has not happened since the party was founded in 2013, with around 800 applications being registered within five days," reads the written communication from the AfD federal party to SPIEGEL.

According to the federal party, the AfD has "gained just over 1,000 net new members" since 1 January this year and currently has "just under 41,000" members. However, these are membership applications completed in the past year, as the AfD statutes stipulate that a one-month objection period must be observed. As recently as spring 2023, an AfD spokesperson had cited the figure of 29,180 members.

The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung ("FAZ") reported on Saturday that the AfD still had 8,000 unprocessed membership applications. The party is now hiring additional staff to process these. According to the FAZ, the party leadership expects to have between 50,000 and 60,000 members by the end of the year.

Source: SPIEGEL report (in German)
Lash

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2024 07:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
This trend, to me, mirrors the Trump phenomenon in the US—if people didn’t hate the ruling party so much—if they didn’t utterly distrust the ruling party—this heavy right turn wouldn’t be possible.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2024 08:04 am
@Lash,
If you're stuck in your world view, you won't get out of it any time soon.
You can't really get any further with facts - there is this and the other good example here on A2K
Lash

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2024 09:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
My worldview is based on what I see, obv.

You don’t see similarities in Trump’s ascension in the US and other governments facing right-leaning uprisings?

Just look.