News re Russia and corruption and protests about it

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 05:21 pm
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/26/russian-youth-from-moscow-to-siberia-slam-putin-the-thief1.html

A matter to watch, at least for me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,028 • Replies: 12

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 05:28 pm
I bean watching some of this on TV news.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 08:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wonder when Putin will have his people start shooting them?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 09:25 pm
@RABEL222,
If they persist, I predict they will not remain healthy for long.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 12:51 pm
I see the Putin operatives have voted this one down. Russia is corrupt, and Putin is a tyrant.

Quote:
Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny has been jailed for 15 days for resisting police orders during mass protests on Sunday.

Mr Navalny was among several hundred people who were detained in connection with the rallies across the country.

The court in Moscow earlier fined him the minimum 20,000 roubles ($350) for organising the banned protests.

On Monday the Kremlin accused the opposition of encouraging lawbreaking and provoking violence.

Some young people were paid to attend, a presidential spokesman said.

Mr Navalny later repeated accusations of corruption against Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.

The allegations were the main reason behind Sunday's protests, which drew thousands of demonstrators nationwide, including in St Petersburg, Vladivostok, Novosibirsk, Tomsk and several other cities, as well as Moscow.
While Moscow police reported earlier that 500 people had been detained, the OVD-Info human rights group said 1,030 people had been detained in Moscow and that at least 120 of them were still being held.

The highlighted bit could have been said by one of Trump's people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39404985
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 12:56 pm
Good grauniad article on Putin.
Quote:
An autocrat with the consent of the governed, Putin has preserved the essential personal freedoms that the Russian people first earned with the demise of the Communist system. People can worship and travel freely; Facebook and Twitter are essentially unrestricted; there are even a few tolerated media outlets overtly in opposition to the Kremlin. Political freedoms, however, are more tightly circumscribed, so as to leave no chance to potential “colour revolutionaries” or politically ambitious exiled oligarchs. For the bulk of the population, this matters little; the relatively few activists have a choice of taking it – or leaving.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/27/russia-house-vladimir-putin-built-never-abandon
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 06:38 am
@ossobucotemp,
Wondering how far Putin will go with clamping down on dissension before a sizable population of the country fights back?

Reopen the Gulags? Bring back the purges?
gollum

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2022 12:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
I believe Krushchev and Gorbachev were forced out.

The Soviet Politburo no longer exists.

Who could push Putin out? The generals?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2022 01:58 pm
@gollum,
A military coup wouldn't be unprecedented in Russia. One could only hope it was a civilian uprising. Russia could never progress under a military dictatorship setup after a military coup.

I'm certain Putin would have found any way to remove any legal challenges to his current regime.
coluber2001

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 10:46 am
I give up trying to figure and understand what's going on in Russia. The majority of the people seem to desire and support a tyrant such as Putin. The same phenomenon is happening in america. For some reason autocracy and fascism is appealing to people who would be willing to reject democracy in favor of a lunatic like Trump.
engineer

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 11:39 am
@coluber2001,
Even people of good will are susceptible to false information. Tell people something enough times and they will believe it. A few years ago, I was listening to a story about YouTube moderators who were tasked with deciding if videos met their TOS and it was a quick burnout job. Even though they knew the articles were error filled, conspiracy theories, after listening to enough stories about how the moon landings were fake, it starts to sink in.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 01:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
He needs to be assassinated, full stop. Too bad it was that Daria that was killed in the bomb meant for her father.

This shite has been going on since man walked. Nothing new. People are awful to each other.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2022 03:53 am
@coluber2001,
Maybe it gives them a vicarious feeling of power.
0 Replies