Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:16 am
Can I put a window air conditioner in an exterior door that has glass panes on it? Can I knock out one of the panes and install an a/c? I can not do it anyway else, other that dumping the heat into my garage. Please help

jespah

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:23 am
@jceccoli,
Well, I'd be kinda concerned about home security, for starters. Would knocking out one pane make it easier for a burglar to knock out the others? You'd also need to support the a/c unit somehow, and the cord would be pulled back and forth as you opened and closed the door. Interesting idea.
jceccoli

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:36 am
@jespah,
I forgot to mention that there is a queen bed in front of the door that is screwed and mounted to the wall. Also, I don't use the door. Sorry for not mentioning that.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:42 am
@jceccoli,
You might look into one of these Mitsubishi type ductless air conditioners that can go almost anywhere.

http://newspaper.li/static/534c48071316f809611fb4cb03c8d365.jpg

jceccoli

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:46 am
@Butrflynet,
Ok. I would do that, but I also forgot to mention my budget. About 100-125 dollars. Thanks for the reply.
0 Replies

parados

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:01 am
@jceccoli,
You might want to try finding what are sometimes referred to as portable air conditioners. They are designed to roll from room to room and have a hose that you need to exhaust outside. Whether you can find one in your limited budget is another thing. Keep in mind you will eventually have the cost to repair your door if you try to get a window air conditioner in it.

here is an example of one:
Portable Air Conditioner
jceccoli

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:04 am
@parados,
Ok. I have been looking at those to. I might just have to get one. I never thought of the cost of repairing the door. Thanks
0 Replies

jceccoli

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:08 am
@jceccoli,
Would an evaporative air cooler work for this situation? I'm in PA.
parados

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:13 am
@jceccoli,
Certainly, it would offer some relief. It would probably never get as cool as an AC unit. I would suggest checking out reviews online of those people that own them. It appears low humidity makes it work better.
jceccoli

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:15 am
@parados,
Ok. Thank you very much.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 10:20 am
Since you are on a tight budget, look into the possibility of renting one for the couple of hot months left in the year. Then, spend the rest of the year saving up some money so you can afford a good portable unit of your own.

Here's a Google Search of portable unit rentals in the PA area.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 10:57 am
By the way, when I was living in Sacramento, CA and couldn't even afford the $125 that you have, the best thing I found to help keep cool was a box fan ($20 at the local drug store) aimed at me, a few wash cloths and a bucket of cold water. Every now and then I dipped the wash cloths into the bucket of cold water and wiped down my skin. With the fan aimed at me, it created my own personal evaporative cooling system and I could move it around to different rooms as needed.

nqyringmind

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 11:11 am
@Butrflynet,
Wow! Now that's good ol' 'Merican ingenuity! Wink
0 Replies

homegardenmax

Thu 13 Sep, 2012 04:55 am
@Butrflynet,
I think that these are old fashion a/c's and not work good but trying to this are not a bad idea.
0 Replies