Molly Ivins: Come on in -- the mud is fine

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:05 pm
Posted on Thu, Feb. 19, 2004
Come on in -- the mud is fine
By Molly Ivins - Star Telegram
Creators Syndicate

Anyone who is not enjoying American politics at this point is missing an important gene and a sense of humor. Whee, we're off! Like a dirty shirt, like a herd of turtles, it's the 2004 presidential campaign.

My friends, the media have not begun to overuse the horse-race metaphor. The candidates are rounding the first turn, into the backstretch, a leader breaks from the pack. He stumbles, he falls!

Now the long-faced gray from Massachusetts moves up, the showy Palomino from North Carolina hangs in, and the General drops out. It's muddy out there. Splat! Splat! Splat!

My favorite campaign document of recent days is from a conservative e-mail newsletter, Talon. (You can't make this stuff up.) In the Feb. 13 update, Item One is a nasty piece of gossip about a Democratic contender, whereas Item Three (I swear) is: "Gutter Politics to Get Uglier: Reacting in part to the relentless questioning of the President's service record, RNC Chairman Ed Gillespie said Wednesday that despite being so early in the campaign season, the Democrats have made clear they intend to run the dirtiest campaign in modern presidential politics."

I think we need a rule calling for at least two paragraphs between spreading nasty gossip and then decrying the spreading of nasty gossip. On television and radio, 24 hours should be required. Standards must be maintained here, team.

In the category of most ludicrous attack, we have an outcry (well, sort of an outcry) over the horrible news that John Kerry takes money from special-interest lobbyists. Lawsy, I swan -- I had to sit down and fan myself when I heard it. Corporate special-interest money in politics! What next?

In fact, Kerry has compiled an enviable record by Democratic standards in this field. He's No. 1 in special-interest money, reflecting nothing other than Washington's early conventional wisdom on the subject.

Happily for politics as usual, Kerry has surged to the fore and is now undergoing the pluperfectly idiotic political experience of being called the candidate of special interests by Republicans! Oh, this is so rich, how can you not rejoice?

President Bush has raised many times more money from corporate special interests than John Kerry -- seven times what Kerry has raised from the pharmaceutical industry and 28 times what Kerry's raised from telephone utilities, for example. Bush has raised four times as much directly from lobbyists.

But that didn't stop the Bush campaign from sending out an e-mail video to 6 million supporters accusing Kerry of being the candidate of the special interests!

But for sheer, vicious nastiness, no one can compete with Ann Coulter, whose latest error-riddled effusion is an attack on former Georgia Sen. Max Cleland, who has been critical of the Bush administration.

Apparently in an effort to make George W.'s incomplete tour in the National Guard look better, Coulter wrote a column distributed by the Heritage Foundation saying that Cleland, a triple amputee, had shown "no bravery" in Vietnam, "didn't give his limbs for his country" and is not a war hero. My favorite sentence is: "Luckily for Cleland … he happened [to lose his limbs] while in Vietnam," her point being that if he had been injured at Fort Dix, he wouldn't be a hero.

He also wouldn't have been under enemy fire at Fort Dix. She says he lost his legs in "a routine noncombat mission where he was about to drink beer with friends." Actually, Cleland lost his limbs when a grenade detonated after he and another soldier jumped off a helicopter in a combat zone.

As for not being a war hero, Cleland earned the Silver Star in a separate incident that occurred just four days before he was injured. The citation reads, "When the battalion command post came under a heavy enemy rocket and mortar attack, Capt. Cleland disregarded his own safety, exposed himself to the rocket barrage as he left his covered position to administer first aid to his wounded comrades. He then assisted them in moving the injured personnel to covered positions. …His gallant action is in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflects great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army."

How lucky for Cleland …

Jack Ohman
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,550 • Replies: 25
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:13 pm
File under: 'Omission Accomplished'

Liberals are hopping mad about last week's column. Amid angry insinuations that I "lied" about Sen. Max Cleland, I was attacked on the Senate floor by Sen. Jack Reed, Molly Ivins called my column "error-ridden," and Al Hunt called it a "lie." Joe Klein said I was the reason liberals were being hysterical about George Bush's National Guard service.

I would have left it at one column, but apparently Democrats want to go another round. With their Clintonesque formulations, my detractors make it a little difficult to know what "lie" I'm supposed to be contesting, but they are clearly implying - without stating - that Cleland lost his limbs in combat.

It is simply a fact that Max Cleland was not injured by enemy fire in Vietnam. He was not in combat, he was not - as Al Hunt claimed - on a reconnaissance mission, and he was not in the battle of Khe Sanh, as many others have implied. He picked up an American grenade on a routine noncombat mission and the grenade exploded.

In Cleland's own words: "I didn't see any heroism in all that. It wasn't an act of heroism. I didn't know the grenade was live. It was an act of fate." That is why Cleland didn't win a Purple Heart, which is given to those wounded in combat. Liberals are not angry because I "lied"; they're angry because I told the truth.

I wouldn't press the point except that Democrats have deliberately "sexed up" the circumstances of Cleland's accident in the service of slandering the people of Georgia, the National Guard and George Bush. Cleland has questioned Bush's fitness for office because he served in the National Guard but did not go to Vietnam.

And yet the poignant truth of Cleland's own accident demonstrates the commitment and bravery of all members of the military who come into contact with ordnance. Cleland's injury was of the routine variety that occurs whenever young men and weapons are put in close proximity - including in the National Guard.

But it is a vastly more glorious story to claim that Cleland was injured by enemy fire rather than in a freak accident. So after Saxby Chambliss beat Cleland in the 2002 Georgia Senate race, liberals set to work developing a carefully crafted myth about Cleland's accident. Among many other examples, last November, Eric Boehlert wrote in Salon: "[D]uring the siege of Khe Sanh, Cleland lost both his legs and his right hand to a Viet Cong grenade."

Sadly for them, dozens and dozens of newspapers have already printed the truth. Liberals simply can't grasp the problem Lexis-Nexis poses to their incessant lying. They ought to stick to their specialty - hysterical overreaction. The truth is not their forte.

One of the most detailed accounts of Cleland's life was written by Jill Zuckman in a lengthy piece for the Boston Globe Sunday magazine on Aug. 3, 1997:

Finally, the battle at Khe Sanh was over. Cleland, 25 years old, and two members of his team were now ordered to set up a radio relay station at the division assembly area, 15 miles away. The three gathered antennas, radios and a generator and made the 15-minute helicopter trip east. After unloading the equipment, Cleland climbed back into the helicopter for the ride back. But at the last minute, he decided to stay and have a beer with some friends. As the helicopter was lifting off, he shouted to the pilot that he was staying behind and jumped several feet to the ground.

Cleland hunched over to avoid the whirring blades and ran. Turning to face the helicopter, he caught sight of a grenade on the ground where the chopper had perched. It must be mine, he thought, moving toward it. He reached for it with his right arm just as it exploded, slamming him back and irreparably altering his plans for a bright, shining future.

Interestingly, all news accounts told the exact same story for 30 years - including that Cleland had stopped to have beer with friends when the accident occurred (a fact that particularly irked Al Hunt).

"He told the pilot he was going to stay awhile. Maybe have a few beers with friends. ... Then Cleland looked down and saw a grenade. Where'd that come from? He walked toward it, bent down, and crossed the line between before and after." (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Dec. 5, 1999)

"[Cleland] didn't step on a land mine. He wasn't wounded in a firefight. He couldn't blame the Viet Cong or friendly fire. The Silver Star and Bronze Star medals he received only embarrassed him. He was no hero. He blew himself up." (Baltimore Sun, Oct. 24, 1999)

"Cleland was no war hero, but his sacrifice was great. ... Democratic Senate candidate Max Cleland is a victim of war, not a casualty of combat. He lost three limbs on a long-forgotten hill near Khe Sanh because of some American's mistake ..." (Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Sept. 29, 1996)

The story started to change only last year when the Democrats began citing Cleland's lost Senate seat as proof that Republicans hate war heroes. Indeed, until the myth of Republicans attacking Cleland for his lack of "patriotism" became central to the Democrats' narrative against George Bush, Cleland spoke only honorably and humbly about his accident. "How did I become a war hero?" he said to the Boston Globe reporter in 1997. "Simple. The grenade went off."

Cleland even admitted that, but for his accident, he would have "probably been some frustrated history teacher, teaching American government at some junior college." (OK, I got that wrong: I said he'd probably be a pharmacist.)

Cleland's true heroism came after the war, when he went on to build a productive life for himself. That is a story of inspiration and courage. He shouldn't let the Democrats tarnish an admirable life by "sexing up" his record in order to better attack George Bush.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:40 pm
Who served in the military and who didn't.

http://www.bartcop.com/warvets.htm
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:54 pm
Re: Who served in the military and who didn't.
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

HAHAHA!!!! Stop!! You're killing me with the fair and balanced links you keep coming up with!!
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 12:31 am
Mc Gentrix
I dont bother reading most of your posts because I know what you as a republican mouth peice are going to say.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 07:23 am
rabel, did you go to BBB's link? Did you read it? All it does is slander the republicans and glorify the Dem's. Could you imagine what would happen if I were to post a similar article?

You keep your head in the sand and ignore opposing viewpoints. That will really help you become a better person.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:19 am
Looks like the blame is on both sides of the fence here.
Ivans may have gotten that fact wrong, and Coutier is hinting that there is a non heroic way to lose limbs in 'Nam (Good lord that woman makes me sick... he wouldn't be picking up grenades if he wasn't in 'Nam in the first place).

It happens. We just gotta keep calling out the mistakes when they're told.

As for McG, I've noticed his very selective responses to topics... He won't touch the stuff thats a blatant home-run for "liberal" arguments. In any case, at least its kind of funny to hear the responses of the Bush worshipers, eyes glazed over, mantra-like repetitions of Bush's talking points, and a remarkably persistant refusal to take a step back and objectively see what it is they believe in with blind loyalty. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:05 am
Lemme get this straight: Cleland gets a Silver Star and a citation for bravery four days before an American grenade blows three of his limbs off, and because his injuries were not caused by enemy fire he is not a hero? What about that Silver Star? What about his "gallantry," as testified to in the citation?

Frankly, I'm puzzled by Cleland's failure to receive a Purple Heart (if, indeed, that is the case: Coulter has never been known as a scrupulous researcher). I thought that practically any injury, if suffered in a combat zone, qualified one for a Purple Heart. Certainly Jessica Lynch, hailed by the right as a "hero," won a Purple Heart even though her injuries were the result of her vehicle overturning, not the result of enemy fire.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:27 am
Heywood wrote:
As for McG, I've noticed his very selective responses to topics... He won't touch the stuff thats a blatant home-run for "liberal" arguments. In any case, at least its kind of funny to hear the responses of the Bush worshipers, eyes glazed over, mantra-like repetitions of Bush's talking points, and a remarkably persistant refusal to take a step back and objectively see what it is they believe in with blind loyalty. Rolling Eyes

I am very selective. I tend to post in threads where I disagree with the ideas posted. That happens a lot on A2K as there is a liberal majority that has it's eyes closed to how things work. I feel it's my duty as an American to help wake you folks up!

I could use your quote to describe a high percentage of liberals on this forum who walk through life with rose colored blinders on hoping that that the magic liberal fairy will come down from the clouds and make everyone nice and happy. The refusal to see both sides of an issue is not strictly a conservative issue. Take BBB's and Pistoff's continuous posting of anti-Bush rhetoric.

Imagine how dull and lifeless this forum woould be if we all agreed with each other. I don't think I have ever agreed with PDiddie or Hobitbob on anything. We could probably all look at the same blade of grass and argue about it for weeks, but I still read every post they make and think about them. Then I respond to them.

I would appreciate the same courtesy.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:40 am
McGentrix
McGentrix, perhaps you should make your self aware of the full scope of the topics I post. Regarding politics, In addition to posting and responding to posts I'm in agreement with, I often post articles positing pro-Bush support. I also often post opinions of pundits with which I disagree to facilitate discussion on all sides of the issues.

During my 1-1/2 years at A2K, I've worked very hard to contribute to broadening the scope of ideas and information on A2K. In the process, I've learned a lot from other posters that I would never found had it not been for A2K. I hope I've made a small contribution to all members of this site, even you.

As I've said to others, if you don't like what I post, no one is forcing you to read it.

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:47 am
If you don't like my comments on your postings, then stop posting.

Isn't the idea of what we are doing here to discuss topics on politics? You post, I comment. I post, you comment. It's a discussion forum.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 11:01 am
Mc Gentrix
I suspect that I am much wider read than you will ever be. I dident say I dont read republican propaganda and democratic propaganda. I just dont read your posts because I know what thier going to say. Why waste my time when I could be learning facts from unbiased posts.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 11:09 am
Can you give me an example of an "unbiased post"? I have seen very few on the A2K political forums.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 11:45 am
McGentrix
McGentrix, which of the people's military service on the list in the instant article do you dispute as being inaccurate?

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 12:02 pm
Re: McGentrix
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
McGentrix, which of the people's military service on the list in the instant article do you dispute as being inaccurate?

Quote:
Republican break down
George W. Bush ­ Daddy got him in the National Guard, went AWOL
Ronald Reagan - served in a noncombat role during WWII in the states.
He later seems to have confused his role as an actor playing a tail gunner with the real thing.
Rush Limbaugh - Sought deferment for ingrown hair follicle on his ass.
Trent Lott - Sought deferment, didn't want to muss his hair.
P.J. O'Rourke - Sought deferment, too stoned.
George Will - Sought deferment, too much of a wussy.
Dan Quayle, avoided Vietnam service, got a slot in the journalism unit of the Indiana National Guard
when the unit was at 150% capacity (at least he showed up for his duty, unlike GW)

Democrat breakdown
First I notice Bill Clinton is not on the list, Or Howard Dean, Or Edwards, or any other Democrat that has not been in the military. It is merely a list of Dems who have served, yet the republican list seems to mention an extensive list of members who did not serve as though they have failed to serve their country because they didn't join the military. I wasn't aware that being in the military was a pre-requisite for government service.

This was used on the Republican list:
Dick Cheney - Sought graduate school deferment, too smart to die.
Tom DeLay - - Sought college deferment, too smart to die.
Newt Gingrich - Sought graduate school deferment, too smart to die.

Yet Clinton did the same thing and yet he managed to not make the list...wonder of wonders...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 12:34 pm
Clinton hasn't pushed passionately for war, the way the republicans mentioned have. Your constant failure to read critically is intentional and not innate, one hopes. If it is innate, then the American educational system has failed you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 12:39 pm
If you see nothing wrong with this article, then I have no repect for your opinion.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 12:42 pm
That has been evident since day one. Of course the lack of respect is heartily reciprocated! Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 01:01 pm
Clinton should be on the list. Got a deferment without having a rich politically connected father.

I do find it hard to watch Bush in front of troops after seeing the sneering attitude of some in the militiary towards Clinton. There is little doubt that Bush, a son of privilege, used his time in the National Guard in service to himself and when he got bored with it he used that same privileged position to walk away. Yet, the military fawns over him as if he were John McCain. Go figure.

Did you know that George showed up for graduate school class wearing his flight jacket? What a ass.

Joe
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:06 pm
McGentrix
McGentrix, if I had been the author of the list, I would have included all relevant Democrats on it, including President Clinton. I also would have not included the smart ass remarks for each person. That petty silliness only detracts from the impact of the comparison among the people. The clear facts would have stood better alone.

BBB
0 Replies