Question about my fridge.

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 02:14 pm
It seems the compressor fan is malfunctioning. It's clean, now at least, and it gets hot, but the fan doesn't move. Is the motor shot?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,196 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 03:22 pm
@tylerdvorak,
I think it's hard to tell but I'd replace the fan first. It could be that due to the heat build-up it made the bearings bind or seize up. It's cheap enough.
tylerdvorak

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 03:44 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you very much. I appreciate the help.
Ragman

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 03:55 pm
@tylerdvorak,
I'm just a bozo here...but logical troubleshooting to me says to replace the fan first as it is a relatively low cost item and you indicated it had heated up and/or was dirty.

Maybe others here more who are more knowledgable than I might suggest something different?
Ceili

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 04:51 pm
@Ragman,
It could be the thermostat. If it's not working properly, the fan or the compressor might not work as a result.
tylerdvorak

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 04:52 pm
@Ceili,
Thanks.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 04:55 pm
@Ceili,
Agreed. Thermostat might indeed be the problem.

This is why I wrote that it's difficult to diagnose - especially with not knowing how handy the person might be.

If it were me, I'd pick up a manual like an 'Idiots 'Guide to Refrig Repair' if such a manual exists. I'd use a multimeter on the theromstat to check it is operating correctly, etc.

Here's a link to troubleshooting appliances:

http://www.appliancerepair.net/

and refrig is here:

http://www.appliancerepair.net/refrigerator-contents.html
0 Replies

Dean Haustead

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2016 12:08 am
@tylerdvorak,
Yes I also think there's some electrical problems in your motor. May be some wire is shot in there.
bonniesnyder

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 07:31 am
@Dean Haustead,
Thanks Ragman for Links.
0 Replies

Dean Haustead

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 08:30 am
@tylerdvorak,
I think it is a very common problem don't wary you can go to service centre or call the serviceman then your problem was totally gone.
0 Replies