Need a lightbulb for LG refrigirator

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 01:59 pm
Hi, I am looking for a lightbulb for my LG fridge (I believe it's that same part as for the Kenmore fridge - part # 6912JK2002E).

Can I use just any plain incandescent 40 watt bulb ?

The actual part (6912JK2002E) seems to sell for $17-$22 everywhere. One place even sells it for $45.71 (BestlightCA - http://www.amazon.ca/LG-Electronics-.../dp/B00AH5ZZ4E ).

Is it just me or is it ridiculous to pay that much for a 40 watt incandescent lightbulb.

One of my local service shops told me that I can easily use a plain bulb that I can purchase at a Dollar Store for a $1.00
I just wanted to confirm that it is safe and that I am not going to set my house on fire.
Is there anything special about the authentic part or is it just an overpriced regular bulb?

Can I use a energy saving CFL bulb 9W = 40W ??

Thank you on advance for any assistance with this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,292 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 02:54 pm
@mstrazhnik,

mstrazhnik wrote:

One of my local service shops told me that I can easily use a plain bulb that I can purchase at a Dollar Store for a $1.00

I believe he is correct.

Why do you feel the need for an energy saving bulb? It's only on for the few minutes in a day when you have the door open.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 02:59 pm
"Appliance" bulbs for fridges and cooker hoods, ovens etc are made differently from ordinary bulbs.

more filament supports (to protect against shock or vibration like
slamming doors)

longer-life filament (depends upon the manufacturer)

coated bulb (depends upon manufacturer - protects against moisture and
minimizes pieces of glass if bulb should break).

A bulb from the refrigerator maker would be good. You can use an ordinary 40 W bulb but you don't get the advantages of an appliance bulb design.

Don't use a CFL bulb, they contain mercury which is not good in a fridge for food, also they are slow to start and don't work well if they are cold.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 04:19 pm
@mstrazhnik,
I have always just used "appliance bulbs" as replacements in my refrigerators and ovens. They are made for use in refrigerators and ovens, are readily available and only slightly more costly than a standard incandescent.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 11:02 pm
Remove the burned out bulb and take it to your local hardware store of big box Home Depot/Lowes type of store and tell them you need to replace it.

The price on Amazon seems rather high. probably because not many people order that type of thing from them.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 03:31 am
A scented candle, especially cinnamon or vanilla, makes opening the fridge door a delightful sensory cavalcade of flavours. It's quite a simple job to drill a few air holes in the door.
0 Replies

lilyalvin

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 10:33 pm
Contacting to a repair shop can help you even more!
0 Replies

Dean Haustead

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 12:55 am
I have a Samsung refrigerator and I need plain light bulb for my refrigerator.

0 Replies