People most hurt by Bush's policies: strongest supporters

pistoff

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 06:11 am
Quote:
"The people most hurt by Bush's policies are his strongest supporters."

The surprise is that the people most hurt by Bush's policies are his strongest supporters. We know that there have been 2.5 million jobs lost in his presidency. He's kind of got a "bleed 'em dry" approach to the non-Pentagon part of government spending. He's not doing anything to help blue-collar workers learn new trades, or get a house, or help their kids go to college. He's loosening the Occupation Health and Safety regulations. The plants the guys work at are less safe. His agricultural policies are putting small farmers out of business. So we have to ask: why would they vote Republican?

Tax cuts are creating budget shortfalls for the schools the guy's kids go to. The library hours are shorter. And, given Bush putting the foxes in the henhouse in environmental posts, the air and water are going to get dirtier. Kids are more likely to get asthma. He's even loosening regulations for nursing homes, so the man's elderly parents are going to have worse care in their later days. All of Bush's military adventures -- the ones he's already done in Iraq, and perhaps Iran and Syria, impact the blue-collar guy more than anyone else. His kids are going to go, or his brother is going to go, or he's going to go and possibly be killed. And yet this blue-collar guy's more likely to be for these wars. Do you think we should go into Syria? There was an item in a poll on that. A blue-collar guy is more likely to say "yes" than the professional or managerial guy who's less likely to go or see his kids go off to war.

Arlie Hochschild

*Does anyone reading this wish to know why the Blue Collar workers are pro-Bush? Read this.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16885
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 588 • Replies: 7
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 07:57 am
Pistoff's article wrote:
RAHUL MAHAJAN: "So listening to that introduction I'm feeling a little bit apprehensive because I'm sure, I'd like some assurance from you. There's nobody here who actually disagrees with me. I would like a show of hands of everyone who agrees with me. No? Come on come on. I hate it when there are people who disagree with me in the audience, it just sucks. Then you have to argue and give evidence and things and could be a real pain so I try to avoid it whenever possible. And, actually, I have to disagree with something the first introducer said. Views like ours I'm pretty sure Scott's as well, you can hear them on Fox News. And in fact, Fox News is the only network TV station that regularly puts on critics of US foreign policy like me, like Scott, like a lot of other people. I was, in fact, on Hannity and Colmes, my only foray into Fox News, April 16th, right at the height of the so-called, "liberation" of the war.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 08:04 am
I would have thought those most hurt would be the 8000 or so innocent Iraqi civilians blown to pieces by the bombs he ordered dropped.

But since they were Iraqi women and kids and not Americans or Australians or Brits, then who really gives a damn? It's not like they're real people.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 08:06 am
That's pretty insensitive Wilso.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 08:16 am
I'm not good a putting sarcasm into the written word.
Just one of the plethora of things I'm not good at.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 08:29 am
I caught it Wilso, some just don't want to acknowledge your ability to put things in the proper perspective! :-)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:50 am
You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time. These are among the latter.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:32 am
You almost got it right, Wilso. It's not like they're voters.
0 Replies