What is the original artist and name of this oil painting of the Kennedy's

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 04:37 am
@Setanta,
DAcron sails were available since the 40's and they sparked the revolution of quick release spinnakers and "Skyscraper sails". Nowadays weve got high UV resistance and big stretch modilii on stuff like ytan ,kevlar, and carbon fibre, BUT, my point was that Gaff rigging in a racing shell is merely harkening back to the tradition of canvas. Since these Wainnos were "One design" classes at the yatch clubs, It didnt matter that they werent that fast without constantly trying to hoist a "Genny".
Ive got nothing against the craft, its kinda nice lined mutha. Its just not going to break any records, for whatever "sq ft class" it would fall in.
Its kinda beamy too, thats a give-in to stability and ease of sailing rather than speed.

I think Kennedy had a "J boat" with modern sails also. That woulda hauled ina light to moderate wind
Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 02:43 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, the beamier vessels wallow like pigs, but they "keep the sea" better than other hulls. Witness the brig, the workhorse of European navies in the days of sail. Beagle was, of course, a brig, although modified into an hermaphrodite.
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 02:59 pm
@Setanta,
our boat was rather beamy. The way we made any time was the big Cat engines made a "bow wave" and , when we were underway atanything higher than 20 kt , we looked like we were surfing.

I have a tri hull (T bird) that I bought as a wreck and tore apart and made into a bass boat . I put a wooden deck with zepel and a rhino mat surface and no gunwales . You sit in a little well (The seat is thebait well). It too is beamy but like you say, it floats like a big hunka plywood. BUT , it gets on plane and scoots like any respectable T-bird
Beamyboats are a bit wetter but waay more stable to those of us with tender stomachs.

I miss my boat (sniff)
0 Replies