Sign Of Peace: Queen Elizabeth Shakes Hand Of Former IRA Commander

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:13 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You know, you're a snide son of a bitch.
What's the matter, you weren't getting enough entertainment,
so you thought you'd stir the turd a little?
He is probably the nicest, most pleasant & decent member
of this forum--the direct OPPOSITE of Setanta -- the yin to your abhorrent yang.

David
Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:24 am
I've seen him start **** more than once, all the while playing innocent. But i'm not surprised to hear that from Mr. Invincible Ignorance. Leave it to I'mSickDavid to show up and attempt to introduce firearms to the topic.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:37 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
He is probably the nicest, most pleasant & decent member
of this forum--the direct OPPOSITE of Setanta -- the yin to your abhorrent yang.

Agreed.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 07:21 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

And now he's having a go at you. I'm sure if you were to meet him in real life he'd be a real gentleman, bon vivant and a born raconteur. Note the tolerance and love towards continental Europeans in the phrase some raggedy-assed EU immigrant.

How can I have misjudged him so?

I prefer the term "Eurotrash" to connote continental Europe's descendants from peasants. So, I would not call a Brit Eurotrash, but then again they will always fall short of a middle-class American or Canadian or Austrialian citizens, since Brits that are not aristocracy are commoners. In my mind that has a connotation of the characters in a Dickens novel that dream of a better life. Just my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 07:43 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

...I have never advocated the persecution of Israelis, but justice for Palestine.
Neither have I ignored Britain's role in why the Middle East is in the state it's in now.

You are adding apples to oranges. Israel is an actual state since 1948 (same time as Pakistan). However, the Palestineans, in my opinion, are a conglomeration of Arabs that came in the last century to the British Mandate, since rumor was the sparrows were returning to Capistrano (aka, Jews). So, they came up with the brilliant idea that they can become a people also. So, now we have Palestineans that function as a lovely burr under the proverbial Israel saddle, in my opinion.

If you would do the maths you might see that the "lowest common denominator" to the Israel/Palestinean conflict is that Arabs just don't want Jews in their midst. Sound familiar? So, since the Arab (nations) oddly lost four wars (with armies) to those supposedly timid Jews, the Palestineans can now function as an alternative approach to delegitimizing Israel proper, in my opinion.

But, being across the pond, you have an opinion with topics that you seem to find as a soap box (not in Hyde Park either) to seemingly stand in judgement of families that for whatever reason came to the New World, in my opinion. In my opinion, you do not seem to understand what it is to be one ethnicity, but another nationality. Not everyone can be so fortunate as you (read: sarcasm) to have a "pedigree" and live in the same country as where your pedigreed ancestors decided to plotz! You again, in my opinion, are comparing apples to oranges. Do you realize the New World needed to be populated?

And, to be totally honest, do not worry that as a Jew I have some sort of Jewish superiority complex, giving impetus to my pontificating. It is because I am an American that any superiority complex rises to the surface. But, as the saying goes, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and America is a greater country than Britain, regardless of London being a world financial center. So, it is not a complex I have about being an American. America is superior to Britain. ["Phew," Foofie said. Apparently, that felt good to get off Foofie's chest.]

And, if you take a moment to analyze, Britain may have won WWII, but Germany won the peace. That might say something about the respective people in each country?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 07:46 am
@Foofie,
Lovely to hear from you Foofie, your erudite comments are always greatly appreciated.
Foofie

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 07:51 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Lovely to hear from you Foofie, your erudite comments are always greatly appreciated.

They are really for the general audience.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 11:31 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

And, if you take a moment to analyze, Britain may have won WWII, but Germany won the peace. That might say something about the respective people in each country?

Just to get things right: there hasn't been a peace treaty after WWII by any nation with Germany.

The treaty, which is regarded by most (and especially by Germans) as equivalent to a peace treaty, is the Treaty on the Final Settlement With Respect to Germany. That was was negotiated in 1990 between the two Germanies and the four allied powers which occupied Germany at the end of World War II in Europe: France, the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America.
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 12:09 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Re: wmwcjr (Post 5028895)
You know, you're a snide son of a bitch. What's the matter, you weren't getting enough entertainment, so you thought you'd stir the turd a little?

Good grief, man, no. I was being perfectly serious. I am amazed that you've found offense with my post. Not exactly what I expected when I came here to see what was going on here since I last posted. I thought we had an understanding that I wasn't one of your "enemies" here at A2K.

You call me "a snide son of a bitch," but you don't even know me. How could you possibly know what's in my heart? Really, you know nothing about me. I haven't posted enough for you to find out what sort of person I am.

I wasn't taking sides with either of you. I've learned the hard way how easy it can be to misjudge someone online. I've actually misjudged an individual or two (in one or more forums at other websites) until he revealed more information about himself. Likewise, I thought that might be the case between you and izzy.

You must admit this is not the best way to communicate. I will assume that you're being serious here; but anyone online in this particular situation could be playing a game, pretending to be offended. Not saying you are, but there are no guarantees on the Internet. I could be playing a game, but I'm not. You seem to be quick with the insults without taking the time to try to understand the individual you insult. You seem to presume the worst.

Again, I was being perfectly serious. I did feel sad about the two of you slugging at each other. I still think the two of you might have been friends, had you not first engaged in any online spats.

But I'll tell you something: I don't need to do anything to "stir things up"; you and certain other members with your spirit of constant combativeness are likely to do that all by yourselves without any encouragement from anyone else.

Civility seems to be in short supply on the Internet, regardless of the forum. I didn't start posting in website's forums until the spring of 2009; but in addition to noticing that I had become more likely to lose my temper online than I do in real life, I've noticed the lack of civility all over the Internet. In one or more other forums at other websites, I've been personally attacked by complete strangers who wrongfully assumed that I entertained certain views.

I repeat, if I hadn't posted, you and izzy would still be slugging it out; and I expect the two of you to continue to slug at each other on future occasions until at least one of you chooses to stop posting here at A2K. Just another online grudge between two people who have not met each other face to face and will likely never will meet each other.

I feel like I'm walking on egg shells around here.
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 12:14 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I've seen him start **** more than once, all the while playing innocent.

Would you care to be specific?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 12:34 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
I feel like I'm walking on egg shells around here.

What sort of eggs?
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 01:14 pm
@izzythepush,
This isn't a question I would have expected. Smile I'm not sure what the correct answer is ... Hen's eggs? Hard-boiled eggs?

I shouldn't assume this expression would necessarily be used in another English-speaking country just because we share the same language. In case you don't already know, what I mean by this expression is being in a situation in which you're afraid to speak your mind because you fear that someone will take a complete innocuous statement you've made and completely misconstrue it. And I don't mean just speaking your mind. I mean not wanting to make any statement at all out of the fear that the other person will take offense and get angry at you for no reason. For example, over a year ago one of the other members accused me of being an anti-Catholic bigot without any justification whatsoever. I was disturbed by discrimination against minority groups before some of the A2K members were even born. I resent being mischaracterized.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 01:16 pm
@wmwcjr,
I'm sorry, I was being a bit daft. I am familiar with the expression. I was trying to add a bit of levity.

I know you weren't stirring.
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 01:53 pm
@izzythepush,
No need to say you're sorry. I was being a bit dense.

Perhaps I was stirring scrambled eggs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 02:28 pm
@wmwcjr,
As a matter of fact, if you hadn't have posted, the odds are pretty good that nothing much would have happened. Izzytheputz used your post as a springboard to inferentially accuse me of prejudice against the English. He only had the opening because you provided it.

Now trot out your idiotic eating popcorn "gif" image.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 02:39 pm
@izzythepush,
That's pabulum.

I was raised on it.

I think I liked it.

Its metaphorical equivalent.

Just looked it up, the brand name was Pablum.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 02:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I had to google it, it doesn't sound anything like marmite. That's probably just as well.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 02:55 pm
@izzythepush,
So, do you eat anchovies?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 02:56 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't, but my little boy likes them on pizzas.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 03:05 pm
I have prejudice against the english and a lot of enthusiasm for some english. This depends on the particulars.

I'm of irish heritage and disagree strongly with Izzythepush on who gets to be or be connected to irish. Heathen, though, agreed with him.

I'm also italian and mexican and canadian and a very wee bit french,
layered over my being japanese and brazilian.

I am what I get to know.
0 Replies