Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 04:21 am
@izzythepush,
Sure, Bubba, whatever you say.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 04:37 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I understand that this word is a corruption of the word: "brother".
It seems odd that he chooses to employ the corruption.
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 04:40 am
For the record: I have peddled no myths. The comments about Galloway and the Palestinians are red herrings, i have no control over the immigration officials in Canada. Apparently, in Izzy's bizzare little world, i'm liable to guilt by a very distant association. I have displayed no phobias, and indulged no ethnic slurs. Izzy's response verges on hysteria.

I'm not surprised that Izzy does not intend to respond any longer--he has no case. I simply commented on a media bias in North America, and insulted no one in doing so.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 09:24 am
Right near the World Financial Center near Batter Park City there is a fairly large construction that is the Hunger Strike Memorial. Regardless if folks are living in peace, I wouldn't think everyone chooses to try to forget.

http://www.soholla.com/v3//index.php?q=Irish Hunger Memorial
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:23 am
@izzythepush,
I didn't turn my back on Ireland. I was born here. I didn't really have a choice in the matter, did I?
My mother left because of the violence and she couldn't get a job in her homeland because she was Catholic, like so many. She met and married and Englishman - (who lived had in poverty in Ireland) but like many others made a life for themselves over the pond.
Go back and reread what I said. I didn't denigrate England. I said if the Beeb is going to write about the sins of one party - make it fair and at least say why the Royalty was not well loved. Nope. It's always about the horrors done by the IRA, never a mention of WHY!!!

Green Beer? WTF? So, your great great granny was Irish..
My cousin is in the RUC. You don't think it's a little more direct? Coppers are usually the first to take a bullet or be blown to bits. So Peace is a wonderful thing. Who's the racist?

izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:29 am
@Ceili,
Well at least I know that it's called the PSNI and not the RUC.

Try to keep up to date.
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:32 am
What a petty little ranter . . .
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:37 am
@izzythepush,
Can't admit to your rant was wrong, eh! I said RUC because it's the better known name. You know why the changed the name right and dropped the Royal???
None the less, you've shown your true colours. You must be proud to be a racist.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:59 am
@Ceili,
I never actually accused you of being racist, Setanta is the one who has a penchant for slagging off the UK. I accused you of wallowing in the past instead of looking to the future.

Your use of RUC reinforces that, the name change was not just to get rid of 'Royal' it was to make it more representative of both communities, as previously it was dominated by Unionists.

It's a bit of a lame excuse to use the old terminology just because others on your side of the Atlantic may not know what you mean.

You're not Irish, you're Canadian. That's not being racist, it's a fact.

As for the BBC's perceived bias, there has been a lot of coverage of the Saville report into the Bloody Sunday killings. This is part of Cameron's apology from the BBC website.

Quote:
Lord Saville concludes that the soldiers of the support company who went into the Bogside did so as a result of an order which should not have been given by their commander.

He finds that, on balance, the first shot in the vicinity of the march was fired by the British Army.

He finds that none of the casualties shot by the soldiers of support company was armed with a firearm.

He finds that there was some firing by Republican paramilitaries but none of this firing provided any justification for the shooting of civilian casualties.

And he finds that, in no case, was any warning given by soldiers before opening fire.

He also finds that the support company reacted by losing their self-control, forgetting or ignoring their instructions and training and with a serious and widespread loss of fire discipline.

He finds that despite the contrary evidence given by the soldiers, none of them fired in response to attacks or threatened attacks by nail or petrol bombers.

And he finds that many of the soldiers - and I quote knowingly - put forward false accounts to seek to justify their firing.

'Crawling away'

Lord Saville says that some of those killed or injured were clearly fleeing or going to the assistance of others who were dying.

The report refers to one person who was shot while crawling away from the soldiers. Another was shot in all probability when he was lying mortally wounded on the ground.

The report refers to the father who was hit and injured by army gunfire after going to attend to his son.

For those looking for statements of innocence, Saville says that the immediate responsibility for the deaths and injuries on Bloody Sunday lies with those members of support company whose unjustifiable firing was the cause of those deaths and injuries.

Crucially, that, and I quote, none of the casualties was posing a threat of causing death or serious injury or indeed was doing anything else that could, on any view, justified in shooting.

For those people who are looking for the report to use terms like murder and unlawful killing, I remind the House that these judgments are not matters for a tribunal or politicians to determine.

Mr Speaker, these are shocking conclusions to read and shocking words to have to say. But Mr Speaker, you do not defend the British Army by defending the indefensible.

We do not honour all those who have served with such distinction in keeping the peace and upholding the rule of law in Northern Ireland by hiding from the truth.

There is no point in trying to soften or equivocate what is in this report. It is clear from the tribunal's authoritative conclusions that the events of Bloody Sunday were in no way justified.

'Deeply sorry'

I know that some people wonder whether, nearly 40 years on from an event, [if] a prime minister needs to issue an apology.

For someone of my generation, Bloody Sunday and the early 1970s are something we feel we have learnt about rather than lived through.

But what happened should never, ever have happened. The families of those who died should not have had to live with the pain and the hurt of that day and with a lifetime of loss.

Some members of our armed forces acted wrongly. The government is ultimately responsible for the conduct of the armed forces and for that, on behalf of the government, indeed, on behalf of our country, I am deeply sorry.

My original comment was that on a day of hope when we should all be looking forward, some of you were deliberately looking backwards.
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 11:06 am
Isn't he cute, see how he gets in a shot at me while replying to you.

If you say so, Bubba.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 11:16 am
@izzythepush,
I am well aware that I am Canadian, and damn proud to be so. I am of Irish and English extraction and heritage. You called me Green Beer? If that's not a slur what is?
Lame? You knew what I was talking about. You pointed it out to prove a point, and the only point you proved is that.. you're not quite as unbiased as you claim to be.
My complaint is with the British News bringing up the past and not being fair and that they look backward with a slanted view. You put that article on this site, you chose to use it. I've explained this ad naseum. Apparently, you couldn't or wouldn't read that, instead you went for the slurs.
I'm happy that the British Government has made the findings it has. These are all welcomed, positive steps towards what will hopefully lead to unending peace.
firefly

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 12:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
In Britain and Ireland there has been a lot of work put in to bring about peace which was kickstarted by The Good Friday Agreement. We're trying to put the past behind us and look to the future.

I applaud the effort toward reconciliation and peace.

Even as a symbolic gesture, that handshake was an important symbolic gesture, and one I was happy to see.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 12:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Re: Setanta (Post 5026951)

Setanta wrote:

But "Bubba" is a term of affection. Being a Texan, I ought to know. Razz
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 02:30 pm
@Ceili,
I did not call you green beer, I likened your Irishness to that of green beer. There is a difference. If you think it's a slur when you're actually a Canadian born and bred,of mixed Anglo-Irish parentage then I'm sorry,but there's not much I can do about that.

I didn't reply directly to your post either, I waited until Foofie made his ridiculous remark about the 'reds and tans.' My post was general, and you decided it was aimed specifically at you.

My post was about the different attitudes each side of the Atlantic, with us looking forwards and you looking backwards. That is what you specifically have done. This is what you posted.

Quote:
I love how they threw that line in, but didn't give the queen the same consideration.

"The queen, a senior member of the British Royalty, the group the killed, tortured, starved, and sent the Irish packing for over 800 hundred years..."

Come on.. fair's fair.

Still, any peaceful day is a good day. Good on him.

Most people's reaction is to look forwards with a sense of hope, but you decided to look backwards, and not just back, but way back. Over eight hundred years back to be precise. Your comment about the hope for peace was almost an afterthought, and you gave all the credit to McGuinness.

Quote:
My complaint is with the British News bringing up the past and not being fair and that they look backward with a slanted view. You put that article on this site, you chose to use it.

Actually you're wrong about that, (can you see a pattern developing?) The article that you took exception to was the one posted by BBB, an article by by Mark Memmott of NPR (whatever that is.)

Quote:
"McGuinness used to be a senior member of the IRA, the group that killed the queen's cousin, Lord Louis Mountbatten in 1979. ... The handshake signals times have greatly changed since the end of the conflict, which claimed more than 3,500 lives, though some tensions remain."

This is a historical meeting between the British head of state and the Sinn Fein deputy first minister of Northern Ireland. It's not just that though, it's about two individuals and how they both are personally affected by the troubles. In this regard McGuinness' role as a senior member of the IRA, and Mountbatten's death at their hands,is relevant to those two inividuals.

This focus on the individuals is continued in the article.

Quote:
McGuinness is now a deputy first minister in Northern Ireland's government. The queen is on a visit to Northern Ireland. McGuinness told the BBC it was "very nice" to meet her. And the BBC adds that according to a spokesman for McGuinness' Irish nationalist party, Sinn Fein, McGuinness told the queen that their meeting was a "powerful signal that peace-building requires leadership."

Now you may think that the decision not to go back eight hundred years shows significant bias, not to mention not giving credit to McGuinness either

I don't think it does, they didn't mention all the victims of paramilitary violence either, (on both sides), not because they're biased,but because it doesn't directly pertain to the two individuals.

You, have shown considerable bias, and a desire to look backwards instead of forwards, and I'm not going to apologise for pointing that out.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 02:46 pm
@wmwcjr,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Re: Setanta (Post 5026951)

Setanta wrote:

wmwcjr wrote:
But "Bubba" is a term of affection. Being a Texan, I ought to know. Razz
That 's because it means brother; I don't believe that distorting the word
makes it more affectionate.

David
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 03:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
WHAT is the huge difference ?

Basically, Britain is nearby and the people are pretty much like they are at home, whereas America is 3,000 miles away and full of ******* dicks. Sorry to be blunt, but I can't think of a nice way of saying it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 06:30 pm
@contrex,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
contrex wrote:
Basically, Britain is nearby and the people are pretty much like they are at home,
whereas America is 3,000 miles away and full of ******* dicks.
Well, that 's how there grew to be over 3OO,OOO,OOO American citizens.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 06:31 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

It's always about the horrors done by the IRA, never a mention of WHY!!!

IRA could be replaced by the word Israel, and the WHY can refer to the Palestineans, in my opinion. Small world.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 06:41 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I didn't reply directly to your post either, I waited until Foofie made his ridiculous remark about the 'reds and tans.' My post was general, and you decided it was aimed specifically at you.

And why pray tell, was it "ridiculous." I thought the reds and tans came into Irish villages and impressed the males into the British Navy? That resulted in families having to survive without the male head of the family.

By the way, can you name one colony where the indigenous people benefitted by being a colony? Not in hindsight, but when they were a colony.
Foofie

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 06:50 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Basically, Britain is nearby and the people are pretty much like they are at home, whereas America is 3,000 miles away and full of ******* dicks. Sorry to be blunt, but I can't think of a nice way of saying it.

In what way is America "full of ******* dicks?" In my opinion, America is full of Yanks. Also, in my opinion, there are some pompous assholes in Britain that pass for run-of-the-mill commoners. The tv show Keeping Up Appearances, in my opinion, does let the "cat out of the bag," so to speak, that the obsession with many Brits is to appear better placed socio-economically than they really are. Perhaps, I should add poseurs to pompous. In my opinion only, Your Lordship.