Sign Of Peace: Queen Elizabeth Shakes Hand Of Former IRA Commander

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:26 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
By the way, can you name one colony where the indigenous people benefitted by being a colony?

Well the indiginous population of Palestine have suffered and are still suffering brutal oppression from a nation that's becoming more extreme by the day, so I see your point.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 04:00 am
@Foofie,
What's ridiculous is that 'red and tans' don't exist. You're confusing press gangs with the Black and Tan militias, used (unsuccessfully) to put down the uprising.

The press gangs operated much earlier, and they were all over the country not just Ireland. They tended to concentrate on ports. A merchant seaman drinking in a pub in Bristol would be of far more use than an agricultural worker from a village.

By regurgitating half truths and hearsay, you've made yourself appear even more ridiculous. Next time try doing a bit of research, that way you might be taken seriously
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:42 am
@Foofie,
I'm not at all surprised to discover that your entire understanding of the UK is based on a twenty year old, mediocre sitcom.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:01 am
@izzythepush,
When the peace treaty was sealed. A bunch of us green beers that turned our back on Ireland had parties. So much for different sides of the Atlantic. I didn't give anyone credit. Believe me, I don't think McGuiness is all that... He's reformed scum. But, no where does it say why Mountbatten was targeted? Is that not relevant? He was holidaying in the middle of a war?!?
I asked for fairness. If you're going to dredge up the past, do it equally. I realize news outlets can't do it without slitting their own proverbial throats. Too many apologists...
As for patterns... both you and the fool Foof can't seem to read or have problems with comprehension. You didn't specify who you were singling out, I asked, then answered.
So, from now on, should I defer to you as to how to write a paragraph. Generally, people like the bad news first but it seems you want the sunshine and roses first. C'est la vie. (I'm Canadian - we are a bilingual nation, I hope you can deal with the french.. ha ha ha)
You're right about mistaking who and where the article came from, regardless, the complaint still stands. Fair is fair and at this point, why does the news have to make it seems like the Irish (catholic) are animals just waiting for the right moment to strike.
Heavly armed guards and all.. Please, when doesn't she have that kind of presence when she travels. She had it here, in a sleepy little prairie town, cops everywhere. It pisses me off. The Irish have way more invested in the peace process than anyone else. After all, it was their streets and fields painted in blood (for the most part).
Going back in history to explain why something happened or why something is significant is not lame or biased, it is what it is. The truth. Just make it fair. If you can't handle it, that's not my problem.
Good on the Brits for facing the truth, but one commission is not going to change the facts that people died or the sorrows that followed. It doesn't wash years of violence and stupidity away. I'm sorry I have biases for my fellow people, regardless of where I was born. You've shown your biases too, and it's funny how you trump Palestinians and want others to persecute Israel, but ignore past atrocities in the middle east that are directly tied to imperialist intervention.
I live in Canada and everyday we have to live with the scars of the British empire's colonist past. We could have commission after royal study and still not get to the bottom of all the horrors the Crown has done to this world. I'm willing to let bygones be bygones, but... fair is fair. If I have to read about the sins of one side, put a little perspective on things.
Again. I AM VERY HAPPY THERE IS PEACE. I AM HAPPY THE TWO SIDES SHOOK HANDS.
Again, sorry this is at the end of the rant. It's not an after thought, it reality. Some times things are complicated. If you want pablum, check the ASDA aisles.
contrex

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:02 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
In what way is America "full of ******* dicks?"

Question of the year...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:22 am
@Ceili,
They don't sell pablum over here.

I'm not dredging up the past, I'm looking to the future.

I'm not going to comment any more on a news article posted by someone else. I thought I explained why only Mountbatten's death was mentioned, and McGuinness' role.

I have never advocated the persecution of Israelis, but justice for Palestine.
Neither have I ignored Britain's role in why the Middle East is in the state it's in now.

I do note that you think I should bear some genetic responsibility for the sins carried out by my country, but even though half of your genetic material is English, you're somehow absolved of any responsibility.

You must have a lot of trouble going in and out of rooms with such a massive chip on your shoulder. Have you ever tried accepting something for what it is, instead of looking for something to moan about?
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:25 am
What a fuckin' creep . . . maybe somebody else did post the article, but when she commented on a part of the article, you started your holier-than-thou bullshit about leaving the past behind and looking to the future. Now you're weaseling out of the argument you started. No suprises there.
Ceili

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:33 am
@izzythepush,
WTF are you on about. Woes you? Where did I make this about you? I said NEWS OUTLETS. Again. Learn how to read.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 11:32 am
@Setanta,
I'm not weaseling out of anything, just getting a bit tired of circular arguments. I've made the point about why I thought the news article just mentioned Mountbatten death and McGuinness' role as an IRA commander.

This is something to be hopeful about, but both of you would rather carp on about perceived Media bias than actually look forward.

Maybe Britain did do terrible things in Canada, robbing the native people of their lands, but I've not benefitted from it. You two hypocrites seem to have done alright though.
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 11:47 am
@izzythepush,
Listen clown. Ceili commented on a line from the initial article, and you went after her, including all manner of unrelated straw man arguments. I commented on the media bias in North America (which is not a comment on anyone in England) and you went after me, including all manner of unrelated straw man arguments. You dragged out nasty racist stereotypes, and you accused us both of things we hadn't said.

I'm getting tired of you nasty assumption that neither of us is glad of the peace process. I'm gettint tired of your holier-than-thou attitude. You haven't show any "circular argument." Now you want to throw in a fling about native people in Canada. Anything you can dredge up to avoid confronting the undeniable fact that you picked a fight, and now you intend to weasel out. You're pathetic.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:41 pm
@Setanta,
This is all about your ego Malvolio. I made a correct observation about how you were both looking backwards as the rest of us were looking forwards.

That was true. You've not disproven that. You bleated on about Media bias, and brought up all this other crap about how we've done such terrible things.

I've made my case, you both like to look backwards and open old wounds.

You in particular Setanta seem to be most put out about the whole affair.

I'm not weaseling out of anything, but choosing not to waste my time with a couple of small-minded, petty individuals who just like the sound of their own voices.
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 09:12 pm
@izzythepush,
You made a whole slew of phony accusation absed on your prejudices. I simply observed a media bias in North America. I did not open any old wounds, that's just your hysterical reaction. You just keep telling yourself how rightetous you are. Nobody else is going to believe it, but you can sit in your corner and wank away.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 02:17 am
I have a theory: If izzythepush and Setanta had met each other face to face for the first time instead of posting messages to each other on the Internet, they would have gotten along with each other and possibly would have become good friends. Why? Because, first of all, they would have seen each other as human beings instead of words on a computer screen. Also, because they share a lot of the same views in common. Their political and social views seem to be quite similar. Perhaps more importantly, the social inhibitions regarding the way we react toward others would be in place instead of being absent, as is so often the case in board messaging. This form of communication seems to carry an even greater potential for misunderstanding than occurs in real life. For example, sometimes you can't tell if someone is being serious or sarcastic. Some people don't express their views in such a way that they're readily understood, and minor differences might be overemphasized. So, while these hostile exchanges can be entertaining and even funny to us bystanders (as I readily admit), they can also be sad.

Just my 2 Cents
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 04:16 am
@wmwcjr,
That's a very good theory, but you're forgetting I've got an English accent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 04:33 am
So does the woman who lives next door. So does the woman who lives two doors down in the other direction. However, as an example of your waspish, vicious, snotty character, the remark is no surprise. I suspect you would still be the same weasel, the same annoying little **** in person as you are online.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 04:55 am
@wmwcjr,
See what I mean, now he's boasting about intimidating his neighbours.
Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:00 am
@izzythepush,
Ah-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

What a ******* loon!

You must be some raggedy-assed EU immigrant. English can't possibly be your native language.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:03 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
See what I mean, now he's boasting about intimidating his neighbours.
R thay sufficiently well armed
in their own defense ?
That shud augment their confidence & tranquility.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:05 am
@wmwcjr,
You know, you're a snide son of a bitch. What's the matter, you weren't getting enough entertainment, so you thought you'd stir the turd a little?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:08 am
@wmwcjr,
And now he's having a go at you. I'm sure if you were to meet him in real life he'd be a real gentleman, bon vivant and a born raconteur. Note the tolerance and love towards continental Europeans in the phrase some raggedy-assed EU immigrant.

How can I have misjudged him so?