what is this site?

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:42 pm
so i ended up here from a link in yahoo answers and im just curious of what this site is? it looks cool and is it similar to yahoo answers?

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:46 pm
@jkjkjkjk777,
Welcome!

It's sort of similar, yes.... ask a question, and hopefully you'll get an answer.

It's also a bit more of a discussion forum than Yahoo Answers tends to be, though.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 06:52 pm
@jkjkjkjk777,
In its broadest application, it's a social networking forum. There are some very cool and erudite pwople here and you don't have to "friend" anybody. If you're here, all posts are open to you and all members are your "friends."
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:41 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
If you're here, all posts are open to you and all members are your "friends."

I dunno. We have our share of bullies, braggarts, and those who would take umbrage if our line of thought differs from theirs in the slightest.

All and all though, we are mostly a very friendly group!
djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:45 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I dunno. We have our share of bullies, braggarts, and those who would take umbrage if our line of thought differs from theirs in the slightest.

says you

Razz
panzade

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:49 am
@djjd62,
stir it up babyyyy!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 11:32 am
@Phoenix32890,
Yeah, you're right, of course, Phoenix. But I was thinking in terms of the FaceBook type of "friending".
roger

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 12:25 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Un huh. I understood you meant all members could see and comment on all posts.

'Friend' has taken on such strange meanings it should count as a new word. Since I more or less continue to live in the '80s, words like 'unfriend' and 'undelete' still sound like fingernails on a blackboard - not that I expect the current crop to understand the meaning of 'blackboard'.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 12:49 pm
@roger,
Just to reinforce your understanding of how out of touch you are, rog', didn't you know that the word 'blackboard' is a non-PC no-no these days? A couple of years ago a teacher in the UK, I believe, was threatened with dismissal for continuing to use it. The acceptable weord is "chalkboard." Sheeesh.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 01:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
A couple of years ago a teacher in the UK, I believe, was threatened with dismissal for continuing to use it.

And we're supposed to say writeboard instead of whiteboard.

I never had any problems with using either term when I was teaching.

Are you sure this isn't another scare story stirred up by the anti-PC brigade? Do you have a reliable source?

Oh and by 'reliable source,' I don't include pages from the Daily Mail.
roger

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 01:29 pm
@izzythepush,
Writeboard sounds generic, while white board is a more specific description, which would exclude chalk boards for most of us.

Oddly, most of the later blackboards were actually green in the schools I went to, but noone called them green boards.
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 01:37 pm
@roger,
I worked in a paint store for a couple of years once, and we sold blackboard paint. Often, someone would return it saying: "This stuff is black." They were expecting green.
roger

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 01:43 pm
@Setanta,
They got blackboards now, don't they?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 01:45 pm
Beats me.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 01:49 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Oddly, most of the later blackboards were actually green in the schools I went to, but noone called them green boards.

Yeh, that's another reason why the word "blackboard" is no longer acceptable. They ain't black, mostly.

Izzy, no I have no documentation on that story. I just remember hearing it on a newscast or, maybe, seeing it online. Could be a bunch of nonsense for all I know. But I'd like to believe it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 02:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It sounds a bit too much like the story that Bah Bah Black Sheep had been banned by 'loony left-wing' London councils.

That was a lie, and it cost the Labour party a lot of votes..
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 03:16 pm
The virtual classroom applications that several universities use for programs that are either partially or all online are referred to as "Blackboard". Maybe its proprietary, but this usage would seem to be contrary to the suggestion that "blackboard" is totally un-pc, and passe'.

Adding to Phoenix' list of people who might be less than "friend"-ly - watch out for certain members who (by virtue of the fact that they're older than everyone else, I guess) consider themselves authorities and guides about just about everything, especially what is and is not acceptable behavior on this forum.

Anyway, welcome jkjkjk777.
0 Replies