Guess who is coming to visit, it's SJP and Obama

Sturgis

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 10:57 am
Yes, we always knew it would happen and now it is.

I had heard about this yesterday, and the street directly southish, will be requiring photo idea later today for proof of residency or working.

Ms.Parker-Broderick lives on the same square block (which is really a rectangular not a square), so this should be an interesting little event. It will be a good evening weather wise so they may be out in the yard of their brownstone/townhouse . I can't see the yard during the summer months as the trees obscure the view; however, I may hear some sounds.

I like her, she's a very nice woman. Her husband is just weird. As to the President, I have no interest in seeing him. His wife however would make a wander over worth my while. Being that they are in the 3rd place from the corner viewing of the Pres. and his wife might be possible (as long as insane Natalie isn't there).

A few minutes ago there was some feedback from what sounds like a sound system. Not sure if that's over on her street or in one of the high end stores on Bleecker. They often do little shows at times like these, complete with crappy sound which they call music. (it actually broke a window of mine in 2009).
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/06/14/checks-and-city-president-obama-fund-raising-at-sarah-jessica-parker-nyc-home/

Quote:
'Checks and the City'? President Obama fund-raising at Sarah Jessica Parker's NYC home

It will be Sarah Jessica Parker's house, but President Barack Obama's show. You could call it "Checks and the City."

Needing to boost his donor base and campaign cash, Obama is banking on elite entertainers for help so often they have essentially become a cast of characters in his campaign. He is using his Hollywood access and raffling it off as a prize to others, tapping into a nation that revels in celebrity even in hard economic times.

Obama's big-name tour makes its next stop on Thursday at Parker's place in the West Village of New York City. The "Sex and the City" star, who is married to fellow actor Matthew Broderick, is hosting a cozy $40,000-per-person fundraiser along with Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour.

The president and first lady Michelle Obama will then head to a second glitzy fundraiser in Manhattan, headlined by a performance by Mariah Carey.

While Democrats have long held political and ideological ties to the TV and movie industry, the dynamic is different this time for Obama. His own celebrity has faded a bit after more than three years in the slog of governing, and some reliable donors have gotten so used to seeing him they want more -- like a real movie star.

What's more, Obama's team is getting outraised by motivated Republicans in a new, freewheeling environment, one in which wealthy donors can give unlimited amounts of money to outside political groups, known as super PACs, that can have huge sway over the presidential race.

As one counter-response, Obama is borrowing on the power of entertainers to give big bucks themselves and to encourage others to give what they can.

The strategy holds the potential for peril. It allows opponents to paint Obama as hobnobbing for dollars with middle-class angst riding high. The Republican Party lampooned Obama as tone deaf when his campaign promoted the Parker/Wintour event the same day as the news broke of climbing unemployment.

Pressed about Obama's relationship with the stars, his spokesman, Jay Carney, fired back: "Two words. Donald Trump. Next question?" Obama's Republican rival, Mitt Romney, has received fundraising help from Trump, the camera-finding real estate mogul whom Obama has dismissed as a carnival barker.

So far, the rewards of relying on celebrity help have outweighed the risks for the president in a tight re-election race.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,714 • Replies: 3
No top replies

firefly

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 09:23 pm
@Sturgis,
So, did you get to see, or hear, anything of interest?
Sturgis

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 03:10 am
@firefly,
Quote:
So, did you get to see, or hear, anything of interest?
Outside you couldn't get close enough. I left before the big arrival, however there was a smallish tent structure from the curb to the Parker-Broderick home. I guess that way the President and his wife could arrive and later leave with a fair amount of safety.

Once back indoors, and a little later, I could hear a little applause every so often from the direction of the earlier mentioned yard. It was a rather quiet event, no excessively loud music or hooting and hollering.

0 Replies

peter486

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 04:15 am
@Sturgis,
thanks for sharing
0 Replies