What was your first mature thought?

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:54 pm
Actually I'd like to replace my previous comment with - "Santa is fake!"

I came to that conclusion at the sad age of 12. Yes, I said 12.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:56 pm
George wrote:
I don't remember how young I was, but it was the age of Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and Gene Autry on TV. I was not to be seen without my holster and trusty cap gun.

I was wearing it one Sunday when the family gathered at my grandmother's house. My cousin Maureen was, as usual, being a total pain in the pants. At some point she took exception to something I'd done and turned to summon the parents.

What would Hoppy do? I'd seen it a dozen times and so I knew what had to be done. I took out my gun, held it by the barrel, and conked Maureen on the noggin with it.

Contrary to oater dogma, she did not quietly grunt and fall unconscious to the ground. She let out a wail that rattled every window in the neighborhood. So I sat down to await the inevitable and reflect on one of life's bitter lessons.

Ah, the classics.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:16 pm
truth
And contrary to oater dogma (what does that mean, George?) we were taught that when people were knocked out no real harm was done. Later, I learned the hard way that each time I was knocked out it involved a concussion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:56 pm
I think you are the same age I am, who watched Hoppy in (oh, no, should I pm you??).

My mother made me a denim skirt and shirt, and they must have let me have a holster and pearl handled gun (what? says me, now), plus I had boots, another story. What a princess. Yes, I was, that particular year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 12:06 am
What a spinning mind you had, ILZ, with relativity sensibility plus a vestigial belief in Santa. I didn't give up Santa until a friend confronted me about it at eight.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 12:12 am
truth
What's this sacrilege about Santa? Next you'll deny the Easter Rabbit. I too am of the Hoppy generation, but I even go back to Hoot Gibson and Tom Mix, and who was that guy, Steele?
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 12:25 am
ossobuco wrote:
What a spinning mind you had, ILZ, with relativity sensibility plus a vestigial belief in Santa. I didn't give up Santa until a friend confronted me about it at eight.

This is partly due to the fact that my mother encouraged me to cook up elaborate theories to support my belief in Santa. Also, after realizing that Jesus was about as truthfull as the tooth fairy, I think Santa was the last bastion of my youthfull desires to believe in the unexplainable. By the time I gave up the belief entirely, the concept of Santa had strayed so far away from the generally accepted meaning that it bore little resemblance to the original.

Yeah, I had him pegged as the mastermind of a complex scheme which involved a system of thousands of elves strategically placed around the world who sprung into action on Christmas Eve. The revelation that he was false was.......devastating. I never figured out what my mothers motivations were in allowing my delusion to persist....... Crying or Very sad

But this is a discussion I should be having with a high priced psychologist, not on an internet discussion board.

:wink:
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 01:30 am
Being jewish, I never believed in Santa, and I would always do my best to ruin Christmas for all the kids I knew at school. I was that kind of bitter, resentful kid.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 01:39 am
ILZ, I can only guess your mother didn't know what to do in the face of such enthusiasm.

That'll be $4500., at your service.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:02 am
Santa Claus; the Easter bunny; the tooth fairy--they're all just fun things and an excuse to let someone else take the credit for what we parents do. Hey, that's pretty neat, ya know.

Good morning, all. Thanks for your input.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 02:09 pm
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
And contrary to oater dogma (what does that mean, George?)

Oaters (or horse operas) are cowboy TV shows or movies. Thus "oater dogma" is the belief system inherent in the genre. (Just love talking like that.) For example:
* as you mentioned, no one comes to any harm from being knocked out
* you can have a gun shot out of your hand with little more than a sore wrist as a result.
* you can get up to twenty shots out of a six shooter if you are the good guy
* bad guys never stay around after they tie you up and leave you for dead
* horses can be run at a gallop for miles and miles and never work up a lather
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:47 pm
Oh man, I could go on forever on things you learn from popular movies, oater or otherwise:
- foreign people, when talking to each other, prefer to speak in English
- when cars crash they always explode or catch fire
- people can fall through panes of glass without suffering any harm
- space ships can make noises in a vacuum
- bad guys like to spoil their plans by gloating to the good guys
and so on.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:55 pm
truth
And Buck Rogers' space ship's exhaust fell DOWN out of the tail pipe.
Ever notice that in the early tarzan movies the "native" population contained Phillipinos, Mexican Indians, Africans, Asians, anyone who was "colored."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 07:09 pm
Re: truth
George wrote:
* horses can be run at a gallop for miles and miles and never work up a lather
Unless you're horse is named "Little Blackie" and a fat Marshall shares it with you!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 09:05 pm
After years of watching "The Mickey Mouse Club," I finally realized that Annette Funicello wasn't really that hot. Of course I was 40 by then.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 09:06 pm
After years of watching "The Mickey Mouse Club," I finally realized that Annette Funicello wasn't really that hot. Of course I was 40 by then; and so was she.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 09:11 am
Good morning all.

coluber, lol. I don't have one thought and shan't until after I get some coffee.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:39 pm
Great stories, all.

I clearly remember mine. I had a closetful of toys, and I remember my mother telling me to fill up a box with the ones I don't use as much anymore because we were going to donate them to some kids "who weren't as fortunate as us".

I didn't put much thought into that concept, and just did as I was told.

Box in tow, I jump in the car, and a few minutes later, we were at this incredibly delapidated house. Two flights up a narrow hallway, I found myself in a long, 1 1/2 bedroom apartment. It smelled wierd, there was clutter all over, was not very clean, and the "bedroom" consisted of three matresses on the floor, separated from the main area by a sheet hanging from the ceiling.

I was introduced to two children, my age, who were absoutely ectatic at the box of toys (toys that I hadn't touched in weeks).

We played together while my mother spoke with their mother about something (she was a clinical practitioner at the time), and when I left, I felt like a much different person than when I came in.

Right then planted the seed in my brain that started me thinking in a "larger" sense, if you know what I mean.

I'll never forget it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:45 pm
Heywood, How very dear, my friend. I must leave now, but I will respond with another anecdote tomorrow.

Goodnight,
From Florida
0 Replies