What was your first mature thought?

rufio

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:14 pm
Oh, and my mother once tried to get me to hook up with this guy who I really didn't know all that well, but he was about my age and the son of a good friend of my parents who was in the same congregation.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 07:58 pm
Lord, have mercy, rufio, another gaffe. I was certain that you were male. duh. Yes, mothers should never play match maker. Smokinggunne and Frank asked about that very thing, and smokingunne was sorta put down as a result of it. Rolling Eyes

Florida Bill, ah, the green peas of summer...Yes, they do sorta glow in the dark..lol. What a terrible discovery to find that your sis, hissed....still laughin'. Tough lesson to learn that blood is not often thicker than water. Little brat, she was, but I'll bet today, it's love me, love my brother.

Hey, Cockney sperrer, it seemed that you learned early on, that people were people no matter their color, and that mature thought surpassed even your mother. <smile>

And now, my friends. The mature person in me says, "Go to bed Letty.It's way past your bedtime."
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 09:14 pm
No offense taken.... I have that effect on most people.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:46 am
(Smiling at the two 80's references here, the shampoo commercial and the John Cougar Mellencamp -- hadn't thought of that in a long time.)

The first one along these lines I can think of was when I was 11 or 12. My best friend and I were seriously into stuffed animals. She got me a really nice largish (~1 foot long) black and white dog for my birthday, that I just loved. She was thrilled that I liked it so much.

My family got a puppy shortly thereafter, and the puppy was sad and lonely at night. I gave the puppy the b&w dog to sleep with in his puppy bed, and that made the puppy happier. The b&w dog became his, and was licked, and chewed on, and loved.

My friend came over and saw the b&w dog all mangled and dirty and was furious at me. I truly didn't get it at first. Then, after a lot of thinking, I finally understood why it would make her angry, and I felt terrible. It marked a turning point in empathy, seeing things from the other person's perspective.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:44 am
Soz, I understand that example, cause you expected your friend to understand that her gift went for a noble purpose, and when she didn't, you were able to see inside her sensitivity. I am trying to remember the first time that I realized another's anger and hurt were sometimes justified. I guess it was the time when I put my sister's favorite doll in a flower basket filled with water. When I saw the doll's melted feet, I think I ran and hid. Strangely, that doll came with a little dog on a leash.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:49 am
my first mature thought?
The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest i've even been to.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:55 am
Hey, dys. I think that you and Stephen Crane might be thinking along the same lines. "A Man Said to the Universe"--read it sometime if you haven't already.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 12:24 pm
truth
Cockney, I'm happy for you, that you never developed the racism from which most of us must spend a life time recovering.

My first mature thought? Hmmm. Don't know. But I suspect my first mature act was apologizing for some injustice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 12:27 pm
Strange to say, I have always thought essentially as I do now. My first mature thoughts are shrouded very early in childhood.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 12:35 pm
I liked the way you turned that from thinking into doing, JL.

edgar, that's interesting. I can remember stuff from when I was in a crib and I'm not kidding. With your knack for writing, I would say that mature thinking has to be a variable somewhere in your experiences.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 01:08 pm
I recall the final time I nursed, among other things.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 01:15 pm
Well, I declare, edgar. I bet 'ya don't smoke, either. Smile I laughed at one of my friends who observed that when a child was big enough to ask for it, that was definitely the time to wean.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 02:32 pm
Sozlet was asking at about 6 months. ;-) (Signing.)
0 Replies

cockney sparrer

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 02:51 pm
JLNobody =========== I've never subscribed to racism/bigotry, never felt the need. More importantly I've never heard an acceptable reason for being a bigot or a racist.
Living in an ever increasing multi cultural country, I feel that social harmony is a lot less streeful than hatred.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 03:39 pm
truth
Cockney, now I KNOW that I was right in being happy for you. Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:11 am
Hey, Soz. Do you mean that Sozlet was signing at nine months of age. Shocked Wow!

Morning all.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 11:12 am
Yep! Not that much, but "milk" was one of her first signs.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:05 pm
When I was about ten I thought up the concept that there is always the same amount of matter/energy in the universe, and it is constantly being recycled in different forms. Also, I recognized the absurdity of religion around the same time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:29 pm
I'm still waiting for my first mature thought...
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:14 pm
I don't remember how young I was, but it was the age of Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and Gene Autry on TV. I was not to be seen without my holster and trusty cap gun.

I was wearing it one Sunday when the family gathered at my grandmother's house. My cousin Maureen was, as usual, being a total pain in the pants. At some point she took exception to something I'd done and turned to summon the parents.

What would Hoppy do? I'd seen it a dozen times and so I knew what had to be done. I took out my gun, held it by the barrel, and conked Maureen on the noggin with it.

Contrary to oater dogma, she did not quietly grunt and fall unconscious to the ground. She let out a wail that rattled every window in the neighborhood. So I sat down to await the inevitable and reflect on one of life's bitter lessons.
0 Replies