Is a 1999 VW beetle a good car for a 16 year old girl?

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 06:12 pm
I found this car (Edit [Moderator]: Link removed) and it seems really nice. it has Automatic Transmission, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Rear Defrost, AM/FM Radio, and a CD Player. the odometer is broken but they think it has 130,000 miles on it. It is listed at $3,995. This is my first car and I've never owned a Volkswagen before. So, I guess I want to know if they're reliable, what usually goes wrong with them or if it's not worth my time. My dad works on all the cars in the family and would keep routine maintenance on the car after we buy it and can fix most problems on cars, so if its simple repairs I'm not too worried about it. Thanks for reading.

Rockhead

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 06:35 pm
@angelinpink,
working on VW's is different than most cars.

I would worry about 130,000 they think so miles.

VW's require very regular maintenance, and repairs are expensive.

I think you could find more car for your money at 4K...

good luck.

(if I found that car, I would try to pay less than 2K for it.)
0 Replies

nqyringmind

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 02:30 pm
@angelinpink,
There are a lot of factors here. What is the body like? What about the interior?
How do they arrive at their 130k mi estimation? How many previous owners?
Is it a salvage title? Any leaks? Smoke? Funny smells? Does it idle smoothly?
Get my point?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 02:33 pm
@angelinpink,
Broken odometer? Really?

130,000 miles? Really?

Pull the other one.
njpchevorlet

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:07 pm
@angelinpink,
Anything that you can buy, for the most part, can be a good vehicle as long as it is properly maintained and driven.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:50 pm
@angelinpink,
angelinpink wrote:

I found this car (Edit [Moderator]: Link removed) and it seems really nice. it has Automatic Transmission, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Rear Defrost, AM/FM Radio, and a CD Player. the odometer is broken but they think it has 130,000 miles on it. It is listed at $3,995. This is my first car and I've never owned a Volkswagen before. So, I guess I want to know if they're reliable, what usually goes wrong with them or if it's not worth my time. My dad works on all the cars in the family and would keep routine maintenance on the car after we buy it and can fix most problems on cars, so if its simple repairs I'm not too worried about it. Thanks for reading.

For a young 16 yr old girl, I think the emphasis should be on safety. Is this kind of car safe for a young, inexperienced driver? I believe that a larger car, with manual transmission maybe the best car for you. I'm sure since your Dad knows about cars,that he would want a safe car for you. You want a good sized car that will standup during a collision and a car that will allow you to walk away from any accident as a whole, sane individual.

I's go for a mid-sized American-made car. I love Fords. So why not try to get a Ford?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:59 pm
@Miller,
you're worried about safety with a 16 year old kid, and you want them trying to learn to drive a stick shift while also learning the rules of the road?

not real bright that...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:02 pm
@Miller,
which ford that is larger than a beetle comes with an available manual transmission Miller?

an F150...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:37 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Broken odometer? Really?

130,000 miles? Really?

Pull the other one.

That was my first thought, exactly.
0 Replies