What is your most hated profession?

Wilso

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 01:50 am
jespah wrote:

PS There are also - gasp! - unethical IT workers, donut bakers, hairdressers, swimming instructors, dog trainers, etc. No profession is immune from ethical irregularities.

That may be the case, but those people have generally got less ability to f@ck people's lives over completely.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 01:52 am
For my part, I hate managers. We actually had one manager, who was also a devout christian. He had to resign because he couldn't reconcile his faith with holding a job in which he had to lie to people on a daily basis. And the ONLY people he dealt with, were employees!!!
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:49 pm
I have to agree with your statement that some professions can give you the big screw over when others can't. Just my opinion, but hate administration more than managers. They are the ones who force people to lie, not managers.

A friend of mine telling me about how upset he was about having to fire people that he didn't feel deserved it. He manages a kitchen for a large hotel. He feels stuck in the middle of a bad thing. It wasn't his decision to fire anyone. Administration told him who to get rid of. He has to do it or can't keep his own job.

Middle management gets a raw deal sometimes. They have responsibility and often no authority. Yuck!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:33 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
bocdaver: Interesting comments. My only question to you is: what do you think of Richard Posner?

LMAO!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:37 pm
Wilso wrote:
jespah wrote:

PS There are also - gasp! - unethical IT workers, donut bakers, hairdressers, [..]

That may be the case, but those people have generally got less ability to f@ck people's lives over completely.

You've GOT to be kidding! Did you see what my hair looked like last month!?

(heh)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:39 pm
Oh - my most hated profession: the people who work at temp agencies. They represent everything I detest.

(AT temp agencies, not FOR temp agencies - hey, I was a temp often enough ... that's how I came to detest people who work AT temp agencies ;-)).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:52 pm
Hmmm, I tried to be one of those once, but I flubbed the typing test. They eventually called me a lot of times, sad to say, for them.

Uh, my typing has improved.. It wasn't all that bad then, but I was nervous.

I think that is a useful way into a job for many - show competence, be asked back. At least it used to be a pretty good way in the work door.

As to the original topic, I don't really hate any professions, as such, off hand. Some people manipulate their professions in unethical ways, but the main professions do have codes of ethics and applicants are grilled on that as well as on other details of their professions over many hours. In my profession, landscape architecture, the boards take three days, and we are regulated by the state of California quite seriously.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:15 pm
I bounced around as a temp in two cities for 18 months (you friggin' nimh-bo!)...

(heh heh)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:16 pm
Noooooo ... misunderstanding. I dont hate people who work for temp agencies, I hate people who work at temp agencies!

Lemme go edit that post.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:22 pm
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh... The people I worked directly for were all right. Course, they were a bit freakish. My rep in Chicago was a meek seven-foot guy in ill-fitting shirts, in Seattle it was (and you'll please excuse my typecasting here) a gay Mexican from the survivalist heart of Idaho. It may say something about the business in general that they both quit their agencies at about the same time I did...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:45 pm
For a minute I thought you were describing yourself, a new view...
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 09:12 pm
HMmm let's see... I'm a paralegal, just recently dropped out of law school...

I am commenting on the ones saying that "I hate lawyer bit is old" etc...

THey all do deserve it.. it's just not their fault that they deserve it.. that's just the way the world is today.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
My vote goes to those who work in advertising.

Their whole point in being is to get people to buy something they most likely don't need and otherwise wouldn't want.

I think the final straw was when I went to the mens room in a club, and right above a urinal, there was an ad at face level. I remember thinking, "Jesus CHRIST! I can't even take a p*ss in peace anymore without some damn commercial in my face!"
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:06 pm
I don't hate all lawyers, just the ones that use unfair litigation to make all their money. Unfortunately, to remain competitive and out of greed, many lawyers do precisely this.

This is really the only thing I disliked about John Edwards, the fact that he was a litigious lawyer, who became 26 million dollars or so through sueing companies. If not for this, I would have trusted him and would have certainly preferred him to Kerry.

But I know many honest lawyers that work hard and earn every penny they make.
0 Replies