What is your most hated profession?

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 10:37 pm
I would hope that there are a few decent lawyers left out there, but they really are hard to find. This is my least favorite profession. I strongly feel that they use their profession and credential to to much more harm to people, industry, and capitolism with financial extortion demands upon the innocent.

I work in the medical profession. We can't spend time taking care of patients anymore. We spend too much time avoiding lawyers. It really is insane. Lawyers prevent medical people from doing their job, seriously! I can't say that I completely blame lawyer. I also don't like their greedy clients.

Any profession or industry should be held to reasonable accountability. When a true voilation occurs, the law should step in. All I see today is exploitation of those who are perceived as having deep pockets. What about a cap on some of these outrageous jackpot lawsuit winnings? I have yet to see individuals benefit from class action lawsuits, but lawyers make a ton of cash.

I see something very wrong when one profession can take such control of the majority of people by threat alone with nothing of strong evidence to back them. This does have a huge impact on the price we pay for anything we buy, our wages, and even our very employment.

Most lawyers are nothing short of financial terrorist. You can be 100% right, but the cost of litigation is so high that honest people are forced to settle out of court giving the sleazy bag lawyer and want something for nothing client cash, which is completely undeserved. With fact presented to any jury, they don't have a case. This is an extremely expensive thing that people want to avoid, so pay offs are very common with innocent people.

Lawyers earn their lousy reputation. The legal profession either ignores or condones their unethical behavior. They have earned serious distrust from people because they do act unethically, which is much deserved.

Want to hear my second most hated profession? Accountants! capitalism will have to end up as communism if they don't stop cooking the books driving up false high stock prices with illegal accounting practices. People love to give a president credit for a booming economy, when it wasn't true at all. What did Enron do? The exact same thing every other company was doing when the stock market went flying, cooking the books with illegal accounting practice.

One by one, they started getting caught. The rehabilitation hospital I worked for is now under very serious litigation because of false accounting practice, but will never get the press that Enron did. Everyone had to be competetive. If one company cooked the books and looked fantastic to investors, which are us working people, so did the next guy to appear competitive.

Many companies today are under litigation for this. Many people lost their jobs because of this problem. Many working people bought stock, usually in the form of a 401k for their retirement, that were not told the truth at all because of fault accounting. I know for a fact that I lost a ton of money once the accounting practices were finally known and actively prosecuted. It has been a while since I will even open my statements. It makes me ill. I worked a little too hard for that money for a few CEOs to take complete advantage of.

Martha Stewart is under scrutiny today for insider knowledge of a false high stock price due to straightening out the books in a legal way, which will dramatically drop their false high price. Martha Stewart unloaded her shares do to a relationship with a CEO who knew the bottom was going to fall out of the box because they would also be prosecuted if they didn't stop driving up stock prices with false and illegal accounting. Wouldn't it be nice if we were all privy to the same knowledge about our stocks?

Everyone seems to feel sorry for her, but no one feels sorry for the working people that are afraid to open their 401k statements, knowing they lost a ton of money which means their retirement. We weren't given the same information Martha did or we would have done the same, dumped the stock, but we lost our retirement instead.

It's a fact, we are all going to get older and need money for retirement. We need honest accounting practice to make a judgement call on where we decide to put our money with our 401k investment, but aren't given the same information We lost our money, but not Martha, because of her status and networking with the right people who were involved in illegal activity, knew that they had to straighten out their accounting to legal standard, which ammounts to falling stock prices. All of us deserve the same exact information Martha was given, but lost our money when she sold with knowledge. This isn't right.

If we cannot uphold the legal and accounting profession to a reasonable standard, I see nothing but the end of free enterprise, as we know it. Government will have to intervene to protect the interest of the majority. Sounds like Communism wasn't such a bad idea if you can't trust professions of power to act in a decent manor to others.

I guess that I'm not going to win a popularity contest over this one. Oh well! I don't like what I see and will speak out against wronging others. Is that really a bad thing? Ok, I am off my soap box now!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,275 • Replies: 53
No top replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 11:54 pm
In answer to the original question you posed on this thread, Wildflower, the profession/job I loath most is politicians (because they are so lax with the truth these days, with seemingly little concern about the consequences) & company CEOs, whose job is to wring out profit at any cost to the consumer .... then after stuff ups, leaving the job with some outrageously generous "package" ...... Ugggh!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:00 am
Re: What is your most hated profession?
Wildflower63 wrote:
Many companies today are under litigation for this. Many people lost their jobs because of this problem. Many working people bought stock, usually in the form of a 401k for their retirement, that were not told the truth at all because of fault accounting. I know for a fact that I lost a ton of money once the accounting practices were finally known and actively prosecuted. It has been a while since I will even open my statements. It makes me ill. I worked a little too hard for that money for a few CEOs to take complete advantage of.

Well, this is ironic. And not in an Alannis Morisette, "black fly in your chardonnay" kind of way. This is genuine irony.

Really, Wildflower, you complain about lawyers and accountants, but when the accountants screw up who is there to get some justice for the plundered investors? The lawyers!

So, when the lawyers are working on your behalf, they're all right. When they're on the other side, however, they're scum-sucking parasites. Face it: you only hate lawyers when they don't agree with you.

As I have always said: people don't hate lawyers, they hate the other guy's lawyers.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:07 am
I hate people who sell water when we can get it almost free.

I hate mercenaries.

I hate tele-sellers (but I loved door-to-door salesmen).

I hate the people who build the speaker systems outside of fast-food joints.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:17 am
NOT TRUE Joe. I have yet to like a lawyer who worked "for" me, either. So much so; that I tend to do my own homework (I know, fool for a clientÂ…) and then shop for a mouth-piece. You strike me as extremely competent... but I would consider you an exception, not the rule.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:49 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
NOT TRUE Joe. I have yet to like a lawyer who worked "for" me, either. So much so; that I tend to do my own homework (I know, fool for a clientÂ…) and then shop for a mouth-piece. You strike me as extremely competent... but I would consider you an exception, not the rule.

Well, it's true that I am the only universally beloved lawyer in America. But based on my own experience I would say that you are more the exception than me. People tend to hate lawyers until they need one, and then they only hate the lawyers on the other side.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:54 am
LOL, if that's statement is true; you are definitely the only one!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:55 am
I like my lawyer, he's cute. He is also very good at his job and works killer hours.
I dislike leagalize and the litigious society we live in, but most of the time, it is not the lawyer who starts a frivilous law suit, but the idiot who spilled coffee on themselves.

I'm not fond of clowns.
I hate pimps.
I could live with out commercial / advertizing mouth pieces, they tend to be rather obnoxious.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 01:28 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Really, Wildflower, you complain about lawyers and accountants, but when the accountants screw up who is there to get some justice for the plundered investors? The lawyers!

So, when the lawyers are working on your behalf, they're all right. When they're on the other side, however, they're scum-sucking parasites. Face it: you only hate lawyers when they don't agree with you.

As I have always said: people don't hate lawyers, they hate the other guy's lawyers.

If I could speak on Wildflower's behalf, I think she doesn't hate lawyers so much as the machinery of the legal process. From what I have observed, litigation for financial gain hurts all of us. You can be guaranteed that the companies involved as defendants in legal proceedings will not pay any monetary settlements in the end. They will get it through raising prices to their customers or whatever way they are able to recoup the monies lost in payouts to the plaintiff.

With the exception of certain cases, it seems to me that greed is the underlying evil in all of this.

I wish I had a better memory, but I saw a story on t.v. how one community in the U.S.A. no longer has any obstetrical doctors who will take on high risk patients. Why? Because malpractice insurance rates in this area of medicine are no longer affordable. Isn't this sad? Physicians should be able to help ALL patients. If there are incompetent physicians out there, then I think they would be weeded out if there were different licencing practices in place. I don't know how it works for doctors in the U.S.A. but I do know for other health care workers it differs from state to state. Perhaps universal rules and regulations for licencing would be one of the first steps to making a standard that would not allow for incompetent workers of any kind in medicine.

As to my most hated profession? Well...I wouldn't call it a profession, but the one I've encountered that I have a high degree of dislike towards is the car salesman. Most (though not all!! actually met a couple of decent guys) are just out for the buck and could care less what car they sell.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 02:06 am
The problem with medical malpractice is that the jury is always sympathetic to the victim so they'll award multi-million dollar settlements for honest accidents.
I read one proposal to setup a medical malpractice court made up of knowledgable judges instead of juries. I mean really it's not always because the doctor is incompetent. Newborns are slippery. Accidents happen. The arguement is that whenever you put your health in the hands of another person, you're accepting some degree of risk.
I don't know what a good solution would be. I mean I feel bad for the victims too but half a million dollars for malpractice insurance for Chicago neuro-surgens is insane.

Anway, the profession I hate the most are mediocre singers who don't write their own songs or play their own instruments. And AOL/TW tech support. I don't hate lawyers or politicans. At least not all of them.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 02:10 am
Yup, I agree with ya ye110man. Except for the slippery newborns part. Maybe they are slippery, I've never been there to catch one. Wink But I just can't see a reasonable scenario for dropping a newborn. Maybe there is a scenario, but I just can't figure out what that would be.

As for the juries...aren't they supposed to be a jury of peers? Or is that ony in criminal cases? I think they would be better off with health care workers in the juries than knowledgeable judges.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 08:02 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Well, it's true that I am the only universally beloved lawyer in America. ....

What am I, chopped liver?

Seriously, the "I hate all lawyers, they're all horrible!" statement is old. Yeah, some deserve it. Many don't.

Being an attorney means being a part of one of the most regulated professions in the US, if not the world. We pass through 3 very hard years of school and a very difficult Bar exam and a Professional Responsibility exam and we have to be vouched for by a number of members of the community (lawyers and non-lawyers) before we are able to practice (that is how it is in New York. Similarly rigorous standards are upheld elsewhere in the US, plus everyone must pass the Bar. For some states, such as Florida, the Bar exam lasts for 3 days). So there are a lot of checks and balances in place to try to assure competency. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But it does tend to assure that the people who practice law are the ones who want to, and are willing to study hard and learn the law. You can't just wake up one morning and say, "Hey, I'll be a lawyer today."

And once in, there are checks on frivolous lawsuits. You may not agree with these checks or think they're effective enough, but the idea is to allow lawsuits and then, if the lawsuit fails, potentially bring suit for a frivolous claim. It has to work that way (e. g. a loss in the original suit is a requirement for bringing a claim that said suit was frivolous); otherwise, people would be afraid of bringing new kinds of claims. We wouldn't have strict liability in tort, for example, if people were afraid of trying out new legal theories. Some work, some don't. Some are nutty, some aren't. Some are brought maliciously, while others are worthwhile. But who can say that a new kind of theory is worthwhile, unless it's put through its paces?

Yes, class actions tend to not get their participants too much $$. But without them, Ford would still be making Pintos (you remember, the car that had the gas tank that ignited in rear-end crashes - and it was found in that case that Ford's management had rejected a $7/car - $7!!! - modification that was recommended by the engineers. Why? Because it was too expensive. Ford did a cost-benefit analysis and determined that people's lives were less important than $7/car. How did this information come to light? The memo was discovered during the course of the class action suit against Ford).

Legalese? Absolutely, for the most part, it's a kind of barrier between the profession and everyone else. And don't think for one second that there isn't some attorney out there who's using 10-dollar words in order to sound smarter. I well recall many a deposition wherein the other side would say "prior to" and "subsequent to" instead of "before" and "after". It's not like these words are so much tougher, it's that they're unnecessary. The same point can be gotten across much more easily. You can be more accessible. You need not toss around big words. You don't become any smarter or more valuable when you do. At the same time, though, there are many words that are what are called "terms of art". That is, the term has a very specific meaning in the law. You can use the term "Rule Against Perpetuities" or you can say "It's that law of wills and trust where you can't make a life estate plus 21 years." Which is easier? Well, neither is easy, but "Rule Against Perpetuities" is just a term of art. Any lawyer worth his or her salt will explain such things to the client in plain, easy to understand English. Personally, I'd consider myself to be derelict in my duties if I didn't.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 08:09 am
Quote:
(For some states, such as Florida, the Bar exam lasts for 3 days).

T-h-a-t-'-s
b-e-c-a-u-s-e
t-h-e
s-t-u-d-e-n-t-s
i-n
F-l-o-r-i-d-a
d-o-n-'-t
r-e-a-d
t-o-o
f-a-s-t!

Sorry Jes, but I just could not resist!
:wink: Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 08:59 am
caprice wrote:
If I could speak on Wildflower's behalf, I think she doesn't hate lawyers so much as the machinery of the legal process.

Hate the game, don't hate the players -- is that about right?

caprice wrote:
I wish I had a better memory, but I saw a story on t.v. how one community in the U.S.A. no longer has any obstetrical doctors who will take on high risk patients. Why? Because malpractice insurance rates in this area of medicine are no longer affordable. Isn't this sad?

Sad indeed, if it is actually true (many of these "litigation crisis" horror stories are urban legends). But then why blame lawyers? Why don't insurance companies and the medical profession share some of that blame?

jespah wrote:

I hate to break it to you this way, jespah, but yes, you are chopped liver.

Despite that, I concur with your latest post.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:03 am
joefromchicago wrote:
jespah wrote:

I hate to break it to you this way, jespah, but yes, you are chopped liver.

Despite that, I concur with your latest post.

I could make a joke about spreading on a cracker, but I won't. I'm too much of a lady.

<snicker>
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 05:58 pm
*L!!*
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:47 pm
Quote: "Seriously, the "I hate all lawyers, they're all horrible!" statement is old. Yeah, some deserve it. Many don't."

Please, reverse your words to "many deserve it and some don't". Sorry, but many of us invested a lot of money to practice a particular profession, not prone to the ills of society that lawyers and accounts do.

I have to question who has the ultimate control? First, lawyers, who are politicians for the most part. Lawyers don't need politics to make them wealthy. Politicians are mostly lawyers. The rest don't need status to make them happy, their pay does

Next, accountants. They rule the free enterprise. This profession did inflate our stock market beyond anything imaginable by illegal practice. Many people suffered great financial losses when this fact came to light.

Dangerous, yet very powerful professions we should watch and keep in check since their own profession doesn't do such a grand job of it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:50 pm
Accountants rule free enterprise? Good grief. They usually aren't even near the top of most corporations, let alone economies. They're rarely C.F.O.'s. Those are usually actuaries - the twitchy statisticians.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 10:26 pm
K, I think you went for the highest yeild mutuals you could. You took a risk. IRA's and so on are not risk free, they don't come with a guarantee. Plenty of companies go belly up all the time, and this is why people are encouraged to diversify their portfolios.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:58 am
...and reps ... who come in sleazy and trying to be charming and imagine they are important! along with tele sales and door to door salesman
0 Replies