the blond fella from Yale

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 07:49 pm
is the phrase we grunts used in Vietnam to refer to 90 day wonder officers. Last evening I saw Dennis Kucinich referred to as that short guy from Ohio and I though "damn maybe it's just that Republicans have a hard time spelling names and then I remembered when Carter (pretty easy to spell) was referred to as That Peanut Farmer from Georgia. I mentioned this to the lovely Nun sitting behind me and she said "Well yeah but I call Bush "Shrub so I guess we all do that." So what is it about how we tend to denigrate people we don't approve of making up labels instead of using their names?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 625 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 08:58 pm
I don't know, nun lover.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 09:04 pm
Interesting topic, dys. I do believe that we tend to denigrate people by sticking perjorative appellations upon them. It is also a way to dehumanize people, so that we don't suffer pangs of conscience about thinking and saying malevolent things about them.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 09:05 pm
No way, modbrat.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 09:07 pm
Watch yer mouth, you of the plain brown wrapper! Laughing
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 09:21 pm
Now, now, Phoenix and Brand X, be good and polite to each other, you name-calling brats!
Phoenix said just about the same thing I did when Dys and I were talking about this. Derogatory comments have been used since the beginning of time when describing our enemies. Humor is also very effective and can be even more deadly than plain old derogatory appellations.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 09:21 pm
hehehehe...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 09:35 pm
An interesting question, skinny-assed (edit that) Dys:
First of all, I dont't think it is unique to America. We probably got it from Europe. Does "dissing" exist in the Far East? I don't know.
I suspect that it comes from an attempt on the part of the speaker or writer to appear clever or witty.
I am about as liberal a Dem as is Dys. But I try to refer to our President as Mr Bush in every discussion.
It's great to see you back, Dys, on a regular basis. -rjb--
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 11:47 pm
I'm not listening to all you troublemakers.
0 Replies