There are some things I will never understand

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 07:24 pm
http://www.blackscene.com/

Because only another black person will get it like you do.

I call it black seclusion.
Blog's for the ' black ' family.. black employment... you name it. Why are people ok with self imposed racism? Seriously??
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 08:06 am
HA!

I noticed someone tagged this "eyebrow tattoos"

Yeah, I have them, eyeliner too.

However, if you were to walk up to me, you'd never know they weren't eyebrow pencil and eyeliner, and not dramatic eyebrows or eyeliner either. I know what impression they're going to give 20-30 years down the road too. It'll look like I've got eyebrows, which most people do.
Anyway, I understand them.

Plus, I'm also curious as to the purpose of ankle socks. They feel weird. I don't understand them.
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 11:26 am
@chai2,
I don't understand socks with sandels.
roger

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 11:42 am
@Linkat,
I remember heated discussions on wearing black socks with sandals. Socks? With sandals?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 11:43 am
I also don't understand long sleeved seersucker shirts. Seersucker is for hot weather - long sleeves for cold.
chai2

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 11:55 am
@roger,
I know, that's just crazy.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 11:59 am
@roger,
Personally, I'm not a sucker for seer.

I will tell youwhy there is a little sense to it. After decades of living up north but now living here 2 years in Sarasota/Tampa area, the long sleeves make some sense.

Here's why: when you go places that have a/c blasting away but are in semi-tropical envirnoments, the restaurant's a/c can freeze you out...not to mention going to places with real buggy environs.

Also some people have chicken arms that should be kept under wraps as much as possible.
roger

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 12:05 pm
@Ragman,
I still think Sear's sold it, and some sucker bought it.
Ragman

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 12:38 pm
@roger,
Yeah! They had a better idea, huh?!

[Oops: that was Ford? Oh well.]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 01:50 pm
@Ragman,
I've been known to wear long sleeved linen shirts in the summer here, just around my house since there is no chance I'll iron them and with linen that shows. Once in a while I'll have whapped the wrinkles pretty much out after taking them from the dryer still a bit damp, so then they're good to go to, say, the grocery store. They keep the scalding sun off past accruing some vitamin D, hide chicken arms, give an elder that devil may care hippie look of yore, or maybe some techies wear wrinkles now. They're loose shirts, work as sort of floppy jackets.

On tattoos, never will be when I'd get one, but I'm less put off by something like a 'sleeve' than I used to be. Never minded servicemen who had tattoos back in the sixties.
I know body adornment is history laden. I have my own interest in drawing or painting nudes of many sorts, most of them not fashion mag pretty; did a 4 x 5 foot painting of a very pregnant woman in one of my painting studio efforts. Well, fashion magazines are catching up. Maybe I think the multiple adornments are a distraction to my view or unnecessary add ons. Obviously that is just me.

Piercing may or may not be a sexual signal, what do I know, and may even be useful for some in that regard (what do I know). I'm fine with pierced ears, sort of envious since I got keloids when I had mine pierced, and those are usually the best earrings. Not fond of gaping holes in ears though. Nasal piercing I can sort of get on the exterior, but think of the caught snot glop.
I experienced revulsion when a server at a coffee emporium had a bunch of piercing around her mouth. I didn't leave or otherwise sidestep her, but she made me wonder. She didn't last long at the place, don't know just why.

The woman in the first photo probably has stories to tell.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:28 pm
@chai2,
I get ankle socks, used to wear them with my air maxes when jogging. Still have some but they're from the drug store and have gotten tinier, and if I wash them again they'll turn into child sox. But, with a good pair, no need for cloth around your lower calf and they cushion the foot, absorb damp. I've no idea what Runner's World says about them by now.

On eyebrows, I've got a funny one that looks like an inchworm - happened by a combo of many eye surgeries and age. The other one is normal-ish, just sort of spare on the outer edge. Sometimes I make an effort to make the inch worm look like an eyebrow, but what the hell, it gives a certain character look. Thing is, I've been noticing eyebrows of various politicos and aging celebrities, and some upper face muscle lag happens with a lot of people. Perhaps even those with brow tattoos... (I'm not anti your eyetattoos, seem practical).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:31 pm
@chai2,
Actually, there are many things in human life I will never understand. The precious little I think I understand may all be an illusion. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 11:33 am
In the spirit of ecumenism, you folks know that Muslims and Jews are not supposed to have tatoos? I do not know the official reason for Jews not having tatoos, but the anecdotal reason, that was explained to me as a child was, we are God's artwork, so a tatoo is really graffiti on God's artwork. It really would be nice if we all understood each other better.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 11:37 am
@Foofie,
God is narrow minded; art is in the eye of the beholder. Everybody has a different taste in the arts, and that's called "freedom of will." How can god restrict these freedoms?

It's because god was created by narrow-minded humans.
Eva

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
...It's because god was created by narrow-minded humans.

That's where we differ, c.i. And that's okay.
I would have said, "It's because God was interpreted by narrow-minded humans."
Wink

Hope you're having a great day. Where are you going next?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:47 pm
@Eva,
This month Cuba, and Sept to Italy.

Have you visited my travel blog?
Eva

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 02:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No! What's the URL?!

I'm thinking about coming to SF later this summer to spend some time with my favorite aunt who lives in San Mateo. Haven't settled on a date yet, but will let you know. I'd love to get together if we can!
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:04 pm
@Eva,
Here's the url:http://travelpod.com/members/c.i.222

Take and peek and let me know what you think. I'm happy to report that I started this blog two years ago in February, and I've got almost 32,000 hits from around the world.

Please let me know when you decide on dates, because I can set up some kind of gathering for a2kers. I think weekends are best for most people.
Eva

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
OK, I'll PM you when I get a date set. Really, you don't have to make a big thing of it, though...I don't want to create work.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:41 pm
@Eva,
It's not work for me; it's like a hobby somewhat similar to my travels. I get to meet people from around the world and the US. The benefits outweigh any real work, because I see it as a hobby.
0 Replies