Reel life lines that apply in real life!

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 06:54 am

In another forum where I post often, a friend of mine, Jaime Franchi, started a thread that asked about movie lines (reel life) that are used often for related situations in real life.

The first movie line that came to my mind was from Jaws, “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.”

I use it a lot—and so does Nancy. It fits many diverse situations like a glove…and you almost never have to explain what you mean by using it.

Do you have any you use?

(Sorry if this is something that has been used here before. I don’t remember one, but my mind is fried! Setanta's recent thread about "list threads" inspired me to post this "list thread." Even if it has been used before, give me any that come to mind.)

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 06:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
"That's all I got to say about that" from Forrest Gump. It does, of course, require you to delve into the art of voicing over your context so you sort of ound like Tom Hanks sounding like the Forrest Gump character.

Theres got to be just a smidge of "ga yuck" in the voice but not enough so you sound "special"
farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:00 am
@farmerman,
Of course, my all time favorite is from Capt Picard (and, of course via thye US navy)
I always say, "Make it so" when in the field with students ith an assignment to complete
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:14 am
@farmerman,

whenever i get really hungry...

wandeljw

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:41 am
James Mason had an interesting line in the movie "The Verdict." Mason played a highly successful defense attorney. He told a story about losing his very first case when he was a young attorney. He told the senior partner of the law firm that he had tried his best. The senior partner rebuked him and said, "You are not supposed to do your best. You are supposed to win!"
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:57 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
"That's all I got to say about that"

Farmerman, one of my all time favorites. I use it often also. I cannot do Forest Gump's voice.

Quote:
"Make it so"

Nancy uses this line at least once a week on me; usually on some undone item on the Honey-Do list that I was dumb enough to mention. She considers me “Number One”…and so she adds, “Make it so, Number One.”
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:57 am
@Region Philbis,

Region…I never say, “No more yanky my wanky.” I am only 75!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:58 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
"You are not supposed to do your best. You are supposed to win!"

Wandel…I’ve used variations on that line many times. Usually the variation takes the form of Yoda in Star Wars: “Do or do not. There is no try.” (Itself a variation on Werner Earhart’s “There is no try”...borrowed from L. Ron Hubbard's, "There is no try.")
Eva

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 08:09 am
"Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you!"
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 08:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
The Answer is 42.

And, yes, mr joefromchicago, it is too a movie!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 08:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
"You'll shoot your eye out!!!"
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 08:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
In contrast, there is this line from The Yakuza: "Do not expect to win. Do not expect to lose. Just respond."
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 06:15 pm
From Somebody Up There Likes Me, "You have to pay for the soda."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 06:17 pm

Great line, Eva. Butch had a way with words. Not sure I can work it into too many life situations, but a great line nonetheless.

The Answer is 42.

JPB, not sure of where that quote comes from…but I’d love to find out.

Same with "You'll shoot your eye out!!!"…although it seems to have something to do with a Daisy Rifle (I finally own one!)…and with that guy that used to be on NBC radio.

"Do not expect to win. Do not expect to lose. Just respond."

Okay, Wandel…I like that one also.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 06:19 pm
go ahead. make my day...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 06:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

The Answer is 42.

JPB, not sure of where that quote comes from…but I’d love to find out.

It's from "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" It's the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Quote:
Same with "You'll shoot your eye out!!!"…although it seems to have something to do with a Daisy Rifle (I finally own one!)…and with that guy that used to be on NBC radio.

This from "A Christmas Story", shown for 24 consecutive hours on TBS from 7:00pm Christmas Eve to 7:00pm Christmas Night. And, yes, it's about a kid who wants an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 01:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Clever title Frank
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 01:54 pm
There's 2 types of quotes...the serious and the comic.
"You can't handle the truth"..I always say it in a mocking tone.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 04:19 pm
@panzade,
Thanks, Panzada.

I must say that "You can't handle the truth" is a huge favorite of mine...and I do use it in real life often. Getting it to sound like Jack Nickleson is not the easiest thing to do...but I give it my best.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 04:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Great line, Eva. Butch had a way with words. Not sure I can work it into too many life situations, but a great line nonetheless.

You don't spend much time around teenage boys, do you? Wink
0 Replies