What? I thought there was unwritten rule for the left lane?

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 06:14 am
@Val Killmore,
You just refuse to realize the facts here. 15 over? really?

Less than 10 over is usually less of a fine. 15 over, a ticket every time.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:14 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
if I'm going even five miles over the limit, and a cop calls me on it, I don't whine about it or try to cite some imaginary non-existent "unwritten law."

Sometimes police officers also appreciate honesty. The one time I got pulled over for speeding, the officer was waiting for my excuse. He even asked - I simply said I was wrong. I had a bad day at work and I was taking it out by speeding and I shouldn't have.

He didn't even check my record or give me a written warning. He said be careful, you don't want to get hurt and let me on my way.

It could have also been because I was young and cute at the time as well.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:17 am
@roger,
Yeah haven't you heard of the unwritten rule between drivers and birds...or is squirrels - anyone that one got George Costansa (sp??) into a heap of trouble.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:23 am
@Val Killmore,
You might like Montana - they do not have speed limits on the highways - although at night there are - because of the animals wondering onto the road.

You can though get a ticket is the police officer feels you are driving too fast for road conditions.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 11:23 am
It's very difficult to make a highway patrolman laugh, but if you mention the "unwritten rule" to any of them while getting a ticket, you can bet all that day's shift will be laughing at that story back at headquarters, and later, down at their local watering hole.

Joe(Wait till you hear this one....there's this guy in a pickup trying to chase a Corvette......)Nation
Val Killmore

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 01:24 pm
@Joe Nation,
I wasn't bloody trying to chase a vette, maybe if I was on my modified supra. I had a 181 miles trip, which I had to get at 7 am sharp, or my boss won't be happy.

Going 65 means getting there at close to 4 hours, or winging it a 75 and sometimes 90 to get there in about 2 and a half hour.

Good thing the cop caught me at 75.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 01:39 pm
@Val Killmore,
hmmm
Let's all do the math... .

RxT=D ..

Oh, you're saying you have to average a little better than 65mph to get there in 2 and half hours.
If 90-95% of the miles were on the Interstate, you could hold it at 71 (six miles a hour over the speed limit) and still make it in 2 and a half (or within five or six minutes or so.)

Baring traffic tie-ups, U-Hauls in the fast lane and, my favorite, the side by side semis going 65.

My girl lives 120 miles away from here. We regularly do 110 of that in two hours flat.

Joe(NYC is a killer)Nation
Val Killmore

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 02:32 pm
@Joe Nation,
Ya, I remember my kinematic equations from my first physics class. But this is real life, there are variables to consider.
Theoretically, it takes up ~ 3 hours to swallow up ~180 miles. With construction work in the summer, you have to give yourself an extra hour. As well as some time to find a motel and change to a suit for the meeting.
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 02:53 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
That's what I'm saying.....dumb, dumb, dumb.

If police can get away with speeding, we, "normal" citizens should too.

BTW, I'm joking, just to get on your nerves.

However, wouldn't it be somewhat funny if the cop said to someone "Sorry we didn't get here in time to keep you from being raped but we had to follow the speed limit."
roger

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 03:35 pm
@Val Killmore,
Actually, I don't believe police and other emergency personnel are allowed to speed, run red lights, etc. unless it really is an emergency. Whether you want to go on record as having reported the friendly, neighborhood state trooper is a decision call.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 04:00 pm
@roger,
roger is correct. Emergency vehicles (that includes police cruisers) are exempt from normal traffic laws if and when -- and only if and when --responding to an emergency. Other than that, they're obligated to observe all the same regulations are you or I.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 05:05 pm
@roger,
WEll, it's a very fine thin line there. We had a case here in southern California where a CHP car was chasing a car for quite some time, the speeding car went through a red light and the CHP as well, but he collided with another car where 2 people got killed - 2 sisters!

The family sued the CHP officer for vehicular manslaughter but had the suit thrown out of court. The judge stipulated that officers, who in the line of duty create an accident w/casualties, cannot be held responsible.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 05:21 pm
@Val Killmore,
Val Killmore wrote:

However, wouldn't it be somewhat funny if the cop said to someone "Sorry we didn't get here in time to keep you from being raped but we had to follow the speed limit."

you'll have to try a lot harder to get on my nerves.

more dumb dumb dumb in that post though, as others have already explained.
Val Killmore

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 05:41 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Quote:
Val Killmore wrote:

you'll have to try a lot harder to get on my nerves.

more dumb dumb dumb in that post though, as others have already explained.

IT'S A JOKE
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 05:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
roger is correct. Emergency vehicles (that includes police cruisers) are exempt from normal traffic laws if and when -- and only if and when --responding to an emergency. Other than that, they're obligated to observe all the same regulations are you or I.
2ice in my life, I have been rear-ended by the police, while I was stopped at a Stop Sign.

1ce was the NYPD and the other time, it was the NYS Troopers.
It was kinda fun, getting out of my car, approaching them
and saying: "Can I see your license n registration, please ??"

David
0 Replies