What? I thought there was unwritten rule for the left lane?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 01:16 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Man, I feel just rotten about all this. Someone comes here for sympathy comiseration, and what does he get?

He gets what he's got coming to him.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 01:39 pm
A whole seven years of driving? Wow, that's quite an extensive record of driving experience.

Most of us around this forum have only been driving for a mere 25 to 30 years or more and wouldn't know a thing about traffic laws and excuses for speeding. Rolling Eyes
roger

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 01:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
I had a good one. I was stopped in Aztec for way over the limit. The cop asked if there was an emergency. I told him "No, I'd been in Denver for two days, and I was just homesick". It worked! Maybe he had been in Denver, too.
Val Killmore

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 01:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
And you are saying when driving on the highway, you never go above the speed limit when you change to the left lane, even with your extensive 20 to 30 years of driving. Isn't that an itty bitty lie?

Fast cars are made for the left lane, the DMV is no fun.

America should have a highway system like the autobahn in Germany.

I am not asking for sympathy, by the way, I just wanted to know if there was actually an unwritten rule for the left lane, cause I got away with it every time, speeding in that lovely left lane, except for this one instance that just happened.

My only solution to this problem is buying a high end laser radar detector, that should be good enough protection from the coppers. Cause I got places to go and people to see, and the faster I do it, the more time I have to do more enjoyable stuff.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 01:58 pm
@roger,
On the other hand, I got a ticket on the 405 (CA, and it's not true that californians never say 'the' before the highway number, as I've read) for going 68 in a 65 mph zone, because I was driving a volkswagen and "they shouldn't go that fast" (not far off the mark, eh). He probably wanted to meet the woman in the brown convertible but I failed to flirt.

In retrospect, I should have photocopied the ticket, that would a trip down memory lane to read it now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 01:58 pm
@Val Killmore,
Val Killmore wrote:
My only solution to this problem is buying a high end laser radar detector, that should be good enough protection from the coppers.

awesome plan!

there are some terrific fines for that in a number of jurisdictions.

(coppers hahahahahahahahaha)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 02:06 pm
@Val Killmore,
Quote:
And you are saying when driving on the highway, you never go above the speed limit when you change to the left lane, even with your extensive 20 to 30 years of driving. Isn't that an itty bitty lie?

Nobody ever said that, Val. I do what you're talking about all the time. I've gotten a couple of speeding tickets in my more than 50 years of driving. Point is, if I'm going even five miles over the limit, and a cop calls me on it, I don't whine about it or try to cite some imaginary non-existent "unwritten law." There are a lot of things done on the highways that have become more or less standard practice even though they're clearly illegal. You get called on it, you man up ("woman up" in btrflynet's case Smile) speak politely to the officer and, if appropriate, pay the fine.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 02:08 pm
@Val Killmore,
Or, of course, you could be dead instead.

Personally, I've sometimes gone way over ten over on certain highways on long stretches without many cars. I last drove through New Mexico at 90 to beat the sun doing down, important for my particular eyes.

But re crowded highways: in my highway 5 driving days in mid state California (not all of 5), if you went the speed limit the whole caboodle of cars and very large trucks would be enraged at you - I remember the average as 90 with the limit at 75. But driving extra fast on the metropolitan freeway systems is a set up for super collisions as there are many idiots out there in many kinds of emotional states and the margin for error is low. That could be your last party, or someone else's.

Butrflynet knows a great deal about driving, son.

I'll add that I used to drive between San Francisco and the far north of California fairly often and when I got into the forested areas with not too many cars I tended to go eight over (+/-) with impunity. Plenty of state police around, that was a factor, but also I just liked the glide of that level of speed. Not to be so fast as to be some kind of game when the area is plain gorgeous, but just right for having cds playing. I've called it low flying, like a bird above the sands.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 02:26 pm
@Val Killmore,
Quote:

I've never been stopped or received a ticket for speeding, even though I do go a few miles over the speed limit now and then.

I've never been one to excessively speed. Those 5 extra seconds don't count for much. I'd rather get there in one piece and don't mind if someone gets there 5 seconds ahead of me.

Four of my friends in high school lost their lives while speeding one night after a football game. Before that, my uncle and his family of six children were hit head-on by a drunk driver who was speeding and lost control of his car. Every kid (my cousins) in his family survived, but they've all had extensive surgeries, and bodies full of metal plates, parts and pieces to replace those lost in the accident and have suffered life-long pains that speeding drunk driver caused them more than 40 years ago.

Recently, my brother's step-son was speeding, lost control and rolled his car into a drainage ditch. His passenger nearly died while the driver fractured both legs, his collar bone and his pelvis. They had to use the jaws of life to cut them out of this car.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NyJoU8y2f80/T8PdJ33kHrI/AAAAAAAAB0s/bzuhRXRBPEw/s480/1defscd.jpg

So, no, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for someone who wants to speed just for kicks and giggles and get there a couple seconds faster than the other guy. I have even less sympathy for the whining about the unfairness of being stopped and ticketed for speeding. You have no idea what unfairness is until your life has been irreversibly changed by a speeding driver.

Val Killmore

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 02:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
Well, as I see it, life is short, and a person is going to die or be disfigured no matter how careful he or she is, whether by old age or a freak accident.

On a happy note, I hope I get away with death itself, such as these people, when circumstances puts my life in jeopardy Shocked

However, I shall take your advice seriously.

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 03:35 pm
@Val Killmore,
Quote:
However, I shall take your advice seriously.

And that's the whole reason most of us are responding to your post.

Thanks for "getting it."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 03:40 pm
@Val Killmore,
Sure, they're are unwritten rules for everything. You make them up as you go along, and hope for the best. Hope for the best, and take what you get.
chai2

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 04:04 pm
@Val Killmore,
Val Killmore wrote:

Well, as I see it, life is short, and a person is going to die or be disfigured no matter how careful he or she is, whether by old age or a freak accident.

I'd rather live long and prosper.

Disfigurment generally involves a good amount of pain.
Sure, I bet if you got disfigured and frightened children with you visage, and be in chronic pain for several decades, you'd say "yeah, but going too fast that one time 30 years ago was sure worth it!"

You're what my husband would call young, dumb and full of cum.

When I see someone driving too fast I usually think "I hope they don't **** like they drive." Too fast and getting there too early. Relax and take it slower.

What about the other people you'd take along with you to the grave? Or maybe they'll go to the grave, and you'll be just fine physically, or merely disfigured. I'll be those they leave behind will be thrilled to know you were just trying to have a good time.

Oh well, then, that's different.
Val Killmore

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 06:58 pm
@chai2,
Come on now, I'm not that reckless, it's just 10 mph to 15 mph. You are over exaggerating it a bit.
Val Killmore

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 07:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Not if you hide it when they pull over.

And with the economy down, and the police force being cut down, the coppers are looking at stupid reasons to pull over people just to ticket them and make money.
roger

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 07:02 pm
@Val Killmore,
That made sense to me, back when the national speed limit was 55. You drive 55, you don't need a clock. You need a calendar.

Ten over at today's speed limits isn't usually reckless, either, but it is against the law, and unwritten rules aren't worth the paper they're written on.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 07:03 pm
@Val Killmore,
Just tell them it's a broken GPS navagator.
Val Killmore

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 07:11 pm
@roger,
Ya I wish.

The lady who pulled me over was one of the good ones, she was frustrated, and I just went along with everything she said, and agreed with her.

Police officers defenitely have attitude, they think they are superior to civilians. So just play along and look put down, and out of sympathy they may not ticket you....
the prince

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 07:13 pm
@Val Killmore,
Where I live, there are no rules for lanes.

The lane markings are white decorations to break the monotony of black color of the roads.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 07:15 pm
@Val Killmore,
Val Killmore wrote:

Come on now, I'm not that reckless, it's just 10 mph to 15 mph. You are over exaggerating it a bit.

You were the one talking about taking risks that could disfigure or kill you, not me.

To me, the idea of hurting or killing someone else is reason enough not to speed. So many times I see someone insisting on driving too fast for the circumstances, cutting people off only to speed ahead a few feet so that can tailgate that person, weave around them, etc.
It only takes a split second to ruin a whole lot of lives in a hurry, and that is no exagerration.

You are just young dumb and full of cum. Hopefully you'll grow out of it.

BTW, was I simply exaggerating, or was I over exaggerating?