How to know the real antiques.

saneens

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 12:23 am
Hiya! here i am with a new topic about antiques. please pass your comments.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,798 • Replies: 7
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:59 am
@saneens,
I'll pass.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 04:59 am
@saneens,
ok whats the topic?. Surely you dont expect people to comment on your opening statement do you?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:26 pm
@saneens,
Lots of old topics about antiques can be found here:

http://able2know.org/forum/antiques/
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
It seems that antiques threads dont have much in the way of staying power. I guess most people dont really give a damn about em.

I read in my Antiques Trqade Papers that the market is void of younger people. People under , say, 35, dont dollectantiques , so will the market value of gpood antiques decline?
Green Witch

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:45 pm
@farmerman,
My experience has been that young people just don't have the money. As people get older, and their incomes increase, they start to become interested in furniture and items beyond what they can buy at IKEA and Pottery Barn. When I worked in the field all our good customers were over 45 and the biggest spenders were in their 50's and early 60's.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 08:04 pm
when given the chance, I will for go purchasing a new item and buy an antique. Majority of the things I own are at minimal twice my age. Not only do they look better ( in my opinion ) but the quality is obvious. No ikea bed would survive 80+ years...
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 09:15 pm
@shewolfnm,
I started collecting Indian artifacts when I was a kid. When I married (my present wife) we were in New Orleans several years and she began art calsses at the Newcomb College so, natch, we started collecting Newcomb Pottery. Since then (ts been like 30 years) weve gotten interested in many types of antiques but like you, when we had money to blow, we always bought antiques over new stuff.
Weve since "deaccessioned" some stuff, but only to get money to buy something better.
There is something about a good hand crafted antique that cant be matched by any machine made stuff. (Although theres lots of modernist stuff that is design crafty but machine made,)

We have a kitchen dinette set of a stainless steel table with inlaid formica "Fake marbkeized pattern" and stainless bent leg chairs with a shiny vinyl (red and grey) upholstery.

We got the things at a yard sale and then spent almost 1000$ getting it all redone to look new. (I know, dont mess with finishes but this wasnt for a collection, it was gonna be the center of our breakfas area)

Our Newcomb College pottery collection is in a collection "Safe storage" service cause were really scared to have it displayed in the open . SOOO we are probably gonna sell that stuff when the market returns more. (Its been coming back for the last 2 years or so)

Ive begun a collection of teething marbles. These are very big glass marbles that were used in the 19th century for kids to keep in their mouths when they teethed. They are about 2" in diameter so the kid couldnt swallow em. They have many glass patterns , cats eyes, sorta mille fiore style, and sulfur inlaids.

I also have a bunch of Pa German Blanket chests (26 in total) and they are all over the house, in the barn, and in our new studio .

0 Replies