My Word has been changed to "Word Starter"

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 09:40 pm
I am writing a long document and have been using Word for a long time. A day ago I began to do some work in the paper again, and noticed that I have been switched to "Word Starter." What happened?

View best answer, chosen by Woollcott
roger

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 11:16 pm
@Woollcott,
I can't imagine. Do you suppose Word has some option or function called Word Starter, and you bumped the wrong key?

Why not press F1 and see if you still get a help window. If so, put in Word Starter in search and see if it gives you directions.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 12:13 am
Office Starter is a cut down, heavily crippled version of Microsoft Office which is preloaded on many new computers. It replaced Microsoft Works. Maybe you just never noticed it before? Or maybe this happened: The machine had Office Starter preloaded. You (or someone) had previously installed an illegal or improperly licensed copy of Microsoft Word or Office. During a recent Windows Update the unlicensed MS Office or MS Word installation was detected and disabled, so the document association reverts to Word Starter. So check if you were in violation of Microsoft's license terms, for example using a product serial number already licensed to another machine. Or maybe there was a glitch and your properly licensed MS Office has become unlicensed, in which case call Microsoft.

0 Replies

engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 04:01 am
@Woollcott,
I think you might have had the .doc extension changed from Word to Word Starter. Open MS Word and then open the document from the FILE->OPEN menu.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 05:45 am
@Woollcott,
Be honest. Was your MS Word program legally purchased or bootlegged/illegally downloaded?

It's possible that Microsoft instead of completely bricking any illicit copy of Word decided to downgrade anyone's found illegal copy to this new basic level word processing program in order to entice you to go ahead and purchase the fill advanced features program they are keeping for the premium full level MS Word.

Quote:
Microsoft Word Starter 2010 is a word processing program designed for everyday tasks such as writing letters, updating your résumé, and creating newsletters. Word Starter is part of Microsoft Office Starter 2010, and comes pre-loaded on your computer.

Word Starter 2010 is very similar to Microsoft Word 2010 in appearance, but it does not support advanced features of the complete version of Word. If you find that you want more features, you can upgrade to Word 2010 right from Word Starter 2010.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/starter-help/introduction-to-word-starter-HA010385337.aspx
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 07:29 pm
@engineer,
It worked! Mant thanks! But what do I do now to get Word when I go to my document? Is there something I must do? I've been using Word since the beginning of the year, and I'm afraid to mess up my document.
engineer

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 08:28 pm
@Woollcott,
Here are the instructions from Microsoft for XP.

Quote:
To change which program starts when you double-click a file

To change which program starts when you double-click a file, follow these steps:

Open Windows Explorer by right-clicking the Start button, and then click Explore.
Click a folder that contains a file of the type that you want Windows to open in a program that you select.
Right-click the file and, depending on the programs installed on your computer, complete one of the following steps:
Click Open With to choose the program that you want.
Point to Open With, and then click Choose Program to choose the program that you want.
The Open With dialog box is displayed. Use one of the following methods to select the program that you want to use for this file type:
In the Programs list, click the program that you want to use.
Click Browse, locate and then click the program that you want to use, and then click Open.
Click Look for the appropriate program on the Web to browse the Internet for the program that you want to use.
Click to select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box if it is not selected.
Click OK.

Note From now on, Windows XP will open all files that have this file name extension in the program that you selected. To change this, you must follow these steps again and associate a different program with this file name extension.
Woollcott

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:59 pm
@engineer,
Fantastic! And many thanks for the follow-up. How do I tag this as "best answer?"
0 Replies