The Earth Under a Singular Government?

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:48 pm
Do you feel that the many existing governments are an inherent right to people, globally? I have to question whether this will bring us the dream of world peace with separate rules with differing governments. I also question obviously corrupt governments that give nothing back to their people, just keep high wealth and poverty as an acceptable method of government by an unnaceptable tradition.

If we all had a basic law that applied to all, do you think this would be a good solution to world peace? Is this a good idea to end world poverty, which is unknown to US citizens? What is a good answer to the problems we have globally? We can no longer isolate with a global economy. No country can ignore the need for other counties to buy and sell with as a need to keep their own economy healthy today.

I believe the UN is way too new, at this point in time, but a very good idea. I also believe that differing countries follow their own rules that are adverse with another government with differing law, which I does cause great problems with innocent citizens of any country. With such modern technology, Is it time that a global sort of law or government with basic structure is in order.

Do you think a singular world government would solve the many political problems we have today? Do you think it is appropriate to live by the same law? Do you feel culture would be taken from the people under a singular government? Would a singular government be too corrupt not speaking for the people?

Just wondering how is the best way of realistically obtaining global peace. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 855 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:37 pm
Howdy Wild,
I don't like the idea of a single government in charge of all cultures. It may have worked on StarTrek but in reality the world has a long way to go before it could work. And I'm not so sure that the different cultures will ever mesh together enough to make it work.

And who's law will become the law of the world? I'm sure when people think this is a good idea it would only be if the laws that were enforced were Western or Democracy. Well what if some Communism was introduced into world law?

And who would be the leader? Would there be global elections? That would be pretty scarry if we got someone like Bush or Hitler elected as a global leader. At least with governments on the country level there's opposition to tyranny.

I just don't see a global government leading to world peace. In fact I see it being too easy to loose the peace because there would be fewer minds running the world.

I do however believe that the UN should have more power than it does concerning global issues instead of the US being the worlds police. I just don't want the UN to be so powerfull that it becomes a Super Power it's self. That's a frightning thought. But not as frightning as one nation being the worlds only Super Power. It's just not frightening to us because we live here. We don't have to worry about us invading our selves, or maybe we do...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 10:56 pm
There won't be a single government on this planet until such time as humans from this planet colonize another planet.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:50 pm
And when we have a single government, that's where I'm going.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 04:05 pm
Rover, you know me too well! You know how much I adore Star Trek NG, which is were I got this thought from. I'm not convinced either, but think there are great possibilities.

I am thinking more along the lines as basic law and basic human rights for all countries, not anything quite so detailed as our law which would exclude culture of others. Here are a very few examples of what I feel are problems with such differing standard that do cause serious problems. There are countries that do not mandatorily educate their children. This only results in impoverishment for that individual. Many countries have standards that don't destroy their own drinking water and others pollute to the extent that their drinking water equates to worse than drinking from your own toilet bowl, unflushed at that.

I don't mean to sound like a Communist. I'm not. Admittedly, I haven't thought out the whole scheme of things. I belive the US is a good model, but do not feel our form of government will last. As a model, (this may be very poor description) the US has federal laws, but does allow for differing laws in each state. I am thinking of expansion of this idea. Representatives from each country would have a voice without singular leadership from one individual at all. Business is run this way, why can't government?

I am not so sure isolation of countries is a good idea for the future. Economically, global trade is already thriving. We all need to share resources and ideas to further evolve humanity. I do belive it may lower standard of living for very wealthy countries, which may give many other people of other countries, trough education and exchange that benefits all of humanity. I do see the vast differing standards as a problem, which does, at times, result in war. I would like to see some opportunity for all and basic international law that would prohibit leaders of any country to oppress their people.

I think that it may be possible to collaborate with people of differing countries and culture to create something better for humanity as a whole. We live in a world of fear to protect our own country, to be more advanced, to give further wealth. This can be shared instead of feared because of fierce competition that exist today.

How could a better place for everyone to live be created? By mandatory education, financial reward for those who create (free enterprise), cooperation with people, no matter where they are from. It may end the extreme in corrupt government that benefits at the cost of the people, which do violate basic human rights.

I wont go so far to say that the American way is the right way. I think people from other countries could contribute good ways of their people that do work. Share knowledge. The UN could be a great start to stop hatred that exist today out of ignorance and end governments that do not assist their people.

Just a thought! I am curious if there is a better way than what we do today or is the current way going to progress all people of the future? I don't expect this to happen in my lifetime, but do think it is worth consideration to build for the future of humanity.
0 Replies