"Austerity" now a dirty word in Europe

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 10:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawk, I don't need to read another article to struggle through your English.

You wrote,
Quote:
... that the need to sell debt combined the incompetence of European political leaders will likely result in the markets dictating the terms of the European economic organization.

It's garbled English.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 11:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It's garbled English.

something + something will likely = something

It does not get much more simple than this. Is your brain having a bad day?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 03:01 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Getting rid of Universal Health Care in favour of a market led system amounts to killing the poor by neglect.

I have never seen how anyone can think that adding an extra layer of bureaucracy can make something more cost efficient.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 11:36 am
@hawkeye10,
But your sentence says "something + something + the second something." Where's the equal? FYI, the European government is the economy; it's called the Euro.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 12:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The thing is, despite there being an elected parliament, real power lies with the commissioners who are appointed by member states, and the powerful countries are guaranteed one each, leaving the smaller nations arguing over what's left.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 01:16 pm
@izzythepush,
In this case, the commissioners are the "government."

It's somewhat similar to our federal reserve system; they dictate money supply and interest rates.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:06 am
When it comes to soccer and the EURO cup , all is well again Smile

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2969/screenshot20120610at858.png
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:48 am
@CalamityJane,
All is in turmoil, Denmark beat Holland.

Racism has reared it's ugly head, the Dutch team were abused in training, and the Russian crowd racially abused a Czech player.

I know you're pleased Germany beat Portugal, and it's a good result, but it was hardly inspiring football.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:23 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I have never seen how anyone can think that adding an extra layer of bureaucracy can make something more cost efficient.

Welcome to ObamaCare
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:36 am
@izzythepush,
You are right, izzy - everyone was surprised when the Danes beat the Dutch and the German vs. Portugal match yesterday was indeed mediocre, but yes,
I am pleased that the Germans won!

Isn't it terrible that even in sports the team players have to play the race card? They should be disqualified immediately - the entire team!!
JTT

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
... that the need to sell debt combined the incompetence of European political leaders will likely result in the markets dictating the terms of the European economic organization.

Perhaps, just a 'with' was needed.

... that the need to sell debt combined with the incompetence of European political leaders will likely result in the markets dictating the terms of the European economic organization.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
It's not the team, it's the crowd. There was a Panorama documentary about racism on the terraces in Poland and Ukraine. It was shocking, neither country should have been allowed to host this tournament.

Quote:
Euro 2012 should not have been awarded to Poland and Ukraine because of entrenched racism and violence, Sol Campbell has told the BBC's Panorama.

The former England captain's advice to fans is to "stay home, watch it on TV... don't even risk it."

Uefa, European football's governing body, said awarding the tournament to the two nations was an opportunity to tackle social challenges like racism.

It said the tournament was a chance for both countries to improve their image.

Panorama spent a month filming at matches in both the joint host nations and witnessed Nazi salutes from the terraces, black players being taunted with monkey chants, rampant anti-Semitism and a vicious assault on a group of Asian students.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18192375
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:14 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
There was a Panorama documentary about racism on the terraces in Poland and Ukraine. It was shocking, neither country should have been allowed to host this tournament.

Well **** then, why not just kick these countries out of the EU if they so offend your morality?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:53 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Getting rid of Universal Health Care in favour of a market led system amounts to killing the poor by neglect.

Perhaps in the UK this is true, but then I don't know if prior to Universal Health Care, people without insurance had no alternative but to pay for healthcare themselves. I suspect not, but honestly don't know for certain and am not inclined to research the matter.

The absence of Universal Health Care in the US is not killing poor people.

It certainly is inutitive that poor people, in general, are less healthy than their counterparts in higher economic classes, and I imagine there are loads of studies and statistics to support this belief, but UHC is incapable of eliminating all of the contributing factors.

Poor people in the US smoke more than those in higher economic classes. There isn't, yet, a miraculous drug or treatment that will prevent people from smoking.

Poor people in the US, in general, eat less nutritional meals than do those in higher economic classes. I don't imagine UHC will result in their being fed three nutritionally balanced meals a day.

Poor people in the US, in general, are less educated and more ignorant than those in higher economic classes. This, of course, leads to a multitude of health related problems. UHC will not solve this issue.

Poor people in the US, in general, live in less hygenic environments than those in higher economic classes. UHC will not relocate them or insure that they maintain a higher level of hygene.

I would guess that most people will not have too much to argue with concerning these four factors (although I am often surprised by what is challenged in this forum).

This probably not the case with the fifth factor I will cite: Poor decision making.

The contraversy around this factor will center on the degree to which one believes that people are responsible for their personal situations. It would be wrong to suggest that everyone, in the US, who is poor, is totally responsible for their economic conditions, as this would ignore factors that are outside of an individual's control: parentage, physical and mental disabilities, youthful misdeeds etc, but it is also wrong to suggest that they are entirely innocent victims of external forces.

There are higher rates of addiction and alcoholism among the poor in the US than in higher economic classes. Whether this is because poverty leads to abuse of these substances or the life choices that can lead to poverty often include substance abuse, or both, such abuse clearly doesn't lead to good health, and UHC cannot solve this problem.

An argument can be made that the poor children who suffer from the lousy and selfish decisions of their parents are not guilty of poor decision making, and it would be true, but their conditions would be no less due to poor decision making.

An argument can also be made that poor life decisions are hardly limited to the poor, and this would be valid as well, but as these decisions tend to lead to unfavorable economic outcomes and it seems a logical conclusion that they would be concentrated among those who are poor.

All this is not to say that the poor don't deserve healthcare, but to argue that it is cleary not enough to simply make such healthcare available, and that poor people will continue to die from the causes and effects of poverty irrespective of whether or not it is available.

In the absence of UHC, poor people, at least in the US, have available healthcare. There is Medicaid, and Hospitals cannot turn people away because they have no money. These may not be the the most effective or efficent means of making healthcare available to the poor, but the poor who are seriously ill in America are not doomed to die of their illness simply because they are poor or that UHC doesn't exist.

The answer, in my opinion, isn't to create a system whereby the level of healthcare available is reduced to a point where it is possible to afford providing it to everyone. The current system needs reform and there is a role for the government in that reform, but creating another, bloated bureaucratic entitlement program is not that role. ObamaCare might have been a sucessful endeavor had it not been ramroded down everyone's throats in the quest to achieve partisan victories; with almost no care being given to how it might actually work.

The answer is for America as a nation, not a piggy bank of tax dollars, to address the issues that result in people living in poverty. This is a huge, and probably impossible task , but it would be encouraging to see, at least, an effort being made.

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage
Uninsured, working-age Americans have 40 percent higher death risk than privately insured counterparts

Nearly 45,000 annual deaths are
associated with lack of health insurance, according to a new study published
online today by the American Journal
of Public Health. That figure is about two and a half times higher than an
estimate from the Institute of Medicine (IOM) in 2002.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2009/09/new-study-finds-45000-deaths-annually-linked-to-lack-of-health-coverage/
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:15 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage

A very low value stat right there, a much better number would be years of life lost due to lack of open access to health care, which in America means having health insurance.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
In the absence of UHC, poor people, at least in the US, have available healthcare. There is Medicaid, and Hospitals cannot turn people away because they have no money. These may not be the the most effective or efficent means of making healthcare available to the poor, but the poor who are seriously ill in America are not doomed to die of their illness simply because they are poor or that UHC doesn't exist.

With out health insurance getting care is time consuming, degrading, fear inducing (are they going to garnish my paycheck to pay this bill that I can not afford leaving me no money for food?), and sometimes impossible. This is a sub-optimal state of affairs.

That said, the massively bloated cost of the American system is a far bigger danger to this nation and the people who live here than is the lack of insurance for some problem. Obama totally missed the mark, his ability to assess a situation and then prioritize a response was found to be without skill. The response might soon to also be ruled illegal, thus showing a lack of understanding of the laws which govern his conduct.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Absolute bollocks, over here the individual, through the tax system, pays his/her medical costs direct to the provider.

Your costs are more expensive because you have to pay the insurance companies as well. You're the ones with the added layer.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Are you seriously suggesting we throw Ukraine out of the EU?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:30 pm
@izzythepush,
Easy, izzy, easy. Since when can one apply the word "seriously" to anything posted by hawkeye?