The land of the free. Fact or meaningless rhetoric?

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:53 am
@Joe Nation,
You lump all Conservatives into one large group, as if one were indistinguishable from the next. (I can't complain too much about that, because I do the same with all of you dope-smoking, pinko leftist commie liberals.)

But just so you know, there are a quite a number of us conservatives here in Arizona who are taking a stand against the tea-party wackos, and that particular wing of the Republican party that feverishly supports SB1070. And yes, I am among that number.

Quote:
Tico: do you have a different view? A different date? Tell us, on what day in our history were the most Americans the most free.

January 20, 1981

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 09:24 am
@Ticomaya,
god, don't I wish all of us hashwacked pinko commie peace creeps were as monolithic as you flagged~wrapped rock ribbed biblebeating chickenhawks.

T: I am sorry to tell you but if you are not fully with the TeaParty, you will, in their words, start to smell like a moderate. They can't have that. Smile

You'll be out in the cold soon, or in Arizona, out in the blowing sand, dust and grit. (Breathe through your nose)

I think you are right. Jan 20, 1981 was a very good day for American freedom. The Iranians freed the hostages. I felt great.

Of course, then Ronald Reagan took office and, just as you said, that was best day for freedom for us.
After that, it's been all downhill for the majority of both the middle and working class.

Yet, people keep voting GOP.
Joe(what's wrong with them?)Nation
RABEL222

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 12:20 pm
@Joe Nation,
I cant figure out if their stupid or uneducated. The majority of voters I mean. Any liberal knows that conservatives are bible smart but politically and economically stupid.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 01:23 pm
@RABEL222,
I've met some who are not so bible smart, they seem to make stuff up and, lo and behold, the stuff matches what they already believe to be true.

(I have some razorhead (all answers are easy) liberal friends who have the same disability.)

The main difference between liberals and conservatives, borne out of my years of experience, is that conservatives are almost always looking out after people who are just like them whereas liberals at least make the attempt at looking as if they give a ratsass about the "least of my breathren."

Joe(there are no easy answers)Nation
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 01:35 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
I cant figure out if their stupid or uneducated.

"They're" ... you can't figure out if "they're" stupid or uneducated.

Carry on ...
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 01:51 pm
@Ticomaya,
There, there, they're there with their barely-there wares, bikinis, or so I am told.
Where they're as there as their wherewithal can provide.

Joe(where's my red pencil?)Nation
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 02:01 pm
@Joe Nation,
When there's a boat sale, you should go for a sail but it'll cause pain if you break a pane in the window with an oar or while prospecting for ore. Whatever.

Lustig (editors use blue pencils) Andrei
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 02:06 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

When there's a boat sale, you should go for a sail but it'll cause pain if you break a pane in the window with an oar or while prospecting for ore. Whatever.

Lustig (editors use blue pencils) Andrei

I have failed as a pedant.....I bow to my master.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 02:11 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
how's about you mention this to those you feel are actually responsible rather than incessantly coughing this **** up here like the whole of US citizenry has blood on their hands

Ever heard of the Good German, Thack?

Aren't government officials merely representatives of the people? Perhaps when enough people know what their presidents are doing on a daily basis - arranging to have people kidnapped, tortured, raped, murdered - they'll speak out against these atrocities.

Perhaps when Hillary Clinton says, "This isn't who we are" when a soldier murders a bunch of innocents, y'all can tell her that she is full of ****. That's exactly who the US and, [as Mark Twain called them] its hired assassins have been since day one.

Why do you think GWB pulled out of the ICJ? Why does the US have SOFAs with all these countries and when Iraq wouldn't give them one, they fled. Why? Because they know what they are.
Thomas

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 07:02 pm
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:
The land of the free. Fact or meaningless rhetoric?

A fact? No, because of the "the" in the phrase. Not all free people live in America.

Rhetoric? Hell, yes.

Meaningless? No. The problem isn't that the phrase lacks meaning, but that its meaning is false.
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:05 pm
@Thomas,
Does it come within acceptable parameters for nationalistic hyperbole, though?
Thomas

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:09 pm
@dlowan,
Not for me. I would never use this phrase if and when I become an American. But then again, my generation of Germans was raised to have an exceptionally low tolerance for nationalistic hyperbole.
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:17 pm
@Thomas,
Indeed.

National anthems are notoriously ridiculous, though.
thack45

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:22 pm
@JTT,
i wonder, if there were no nations or governments, or laws or gods; who would we blame for all the problems in the world?
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:25 pm
@thack45,
Witches.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:29 pm
@dlowan,
We do that now. Blame witches, I mean. Witch hunts are constant and ubiquitous. Maybe not as rife as they were back in the 50s, but plentiful enough. Back then we were finnding pinko Commies under every bed and in dark closets. Today it's Islamists. No real difference.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:30 pm
@thack45,
Gypsies?
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:34 pm
@dlowan,
hehee. exactly
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 02:44 am
@Thomas,
Best, most concise answer.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 04:31 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
National anthems are notoriously ridiculous, though.

Indeed. Ours is so embarrassing that our constitution instructs us to sing only one-third of it. Indeed, most renditions at public events are purely instrumental. (That's fine with me. Haydn's melody is beautiful, though I prefer it played on string quartet, not brass band.)