I am writing a research paper on same sex marriage(pro) i need these questions answered

Blezi

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 11:17 am
I am a student at RIT and i am writing a research paper on the topic of same sex marriage my question is: How is same sex marriage viewed in society due to the fact that society has begun to legalize it in some places is it now morally accepted?

Would it impact you negatively if people found out you were gay?

What do you personally think about same sex marriage?

How has being homosexual affected your life?

How has culture impacted our views on same sex marriage?

Is being homosexual accepted in society nowadays?

How does it feel that society views your sexual orientation as wrong?

Why do people view gay marriage as wrong?

How will same sex marriage benefit society if it is legalized everywhere?

I would appreciate it if some one can give me detailed answers Smile

Guy Larcher

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 11:31 am
@Blezi,
I am answering your questions from my own experience as a gay man who came out in 1988 at the age of 28. I was a virgin and studying to be a minister. I reside in Canada. These answers may not apply to others not in my situation and I do not presume to speak for everyone.

1. Yes it impacted me negatively. I lost my job. The private Christian University I was attending gave me no support. I was made to feel that I was demon possessed and going to hell. Psychological problems developed and as a result thoughts of suicide. Lost the support of family and all of my social network and felt very alone.

2.I fought long and hard for the idea of same sex marriage here in Canada. I saw many people who were in committed relationships unable to see their loved ones in hospital because they were not "family", unable to receive benefits that would otherwise be given to heterosexual relationships. It was necessary for me to help others understand and recognize that there are people in the LGBT community who are in committed relationships despite what others may believe. The promotion of gay marriage would help to change the thoughts of society and the ideas they have of gay people by providing gays an opportunity to "play" at the same and equal level of their straight counterparts.

3. At first being gay had felt like a curse. After careful thought and involvement in the gay community and after having a partner now for the last 15 yrs, I feel that I have grown so much more as a person and am able to attempt to understand what others may be going through. Yes my relationship with my family has been strained since they don't necessarily agree with what they think has been my "choice" but I can rejoice in the knowledge that I have lived an honest life and are slowly seeing a change in their opinions.

4. Secular culture has provided a very clear path for young people to be whoever they want to be. The inclusion of gays and their stories in movies and television, music and art have broken down many barriers and have provided many opportunities for dialogue. On the other hand, religious culture has never before been so directed in the destruction of the homosexual. The Bible has been used out of context to denegrate and demean the homosexual and has provided an environment of intolerance and hate. The religious culture has nurtured an "us" and "them" mentality, as if someone who is gay could not have a religious belief.

5. I live in a small fishing community in Newfoundland Canada. I have never been so encouraged in my relationship since I have moved here. One of the most common questions when people find out that my partner and I have been together for 15 yrs is "Why haven't you/when are you getting married?". That being said I moved here from Toronto where I lived in the centre of the "gay village". Even being surrounded by thousands of people who were also gay I never felt more threatened by people who would come into the neighbourhood to create problems ( vandalism, bashing, loud protests, murder) against gays. All in all I think that attitudes are changing and there does seem to be an increasing number of people who expressing more tolerance in the general population.

6. When someone suggests that my sexual orientation is wrong it shows me that they are ignorant to the fact that people in the world could live different to how they believe. It shows me that people are prone to prejudice and judgement before they actually know me. It confirms to me that there is much bigotry and intolerance in this world. It propels me to change their mind about me once they get to know me and I am able to shatter their ideas of who they think I am. It doesn't hurt that I have a government that is in support of my sexual orientation so anyone that may think that my orientation is wrong cannot hurt me because I am protected by my rights of Canadian citizenship.

7. Most who would be opposed to same sex marriage would probably be of some sort of religious influence. Others oppose because of science and their belief in evolution and how homosexuality counteracts that belief. The majority of people who are opposed to gay marriage have never met a gay couple who are monogamous and in love and live as an example. For some individuals the idea of gay marriage, and the idea of sex is difficult to describe to their young children so they would much prefer not to speak of it and it might go away.

8. By accepting gay marriage society could benefit in the following ways:
-there will be many young people who don't see any meaning in their life feel that they have been accepted leading to less problems with drinking, drugs, homelssness, suicide, promiscuity.
-individuals who oppose gay marriage will not be able to hide behind their bigoted and hateful beliefs since gay marriage will be legal thus helping to eliminate discrimination, bullying, bashing and causing them to look at gay people in a way that is more equal.
-gays would be afforded the rights that would be given to them that would be equal to those of their straight counterparts.
-young people could understand they could come out at a younger age and not have to be promiscuous, therefore alleviating alot of problems with STDs. They can (like their straight brothers and sisters) look forward to falling in love and have the family in which they dreamed. It provides for them a hope in the future.

I hope that these answers will help you. I wish you the best on your project. Thank you for tackling such a subject. Would love to read the final draft and find out your grade.
0 Replies