Sound natural?

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:03 am

That shabby unknown bundle of neglect and despair that was dropped off by the police six weeks ago -- later to be identified by his mother, who turns up occasionally --is now a driving force on the infants' ward. Once he was bathed a few times and his rashes were treated, he turned out to be a 14-month-old boy named Vergil, still recovering from premature birth -- birth weight, 21/2 pounds. It came obvious he had never received any real attention, and practically no solid food, and it was never very clear who assumed responsibility for him in his family, if anyone. Miraculously he survived, with almost no outside help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 769 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 07:29 am
@oristarA,
You could use "The shabby....", but I like the flat sound of the "That..." .

Watch other small things: " --birth weight: 2 1/2 pounds."

I know it's all the rage to put commas in everywhere but maybe this is better.

Quote:
It became obvious he had never received any real attention, practically no solid food and it was never very clear who in his family
assumed responsibility for him, if any of them did. Miraculously he survived, with almost no outside help.

Joe(that's a little bitty baby)Nation
oristarA

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 10:59 am
@Joe Nation,
Thank you Joe.
"dropped off" sounds cold-blooded to me. Does it really convey a cold-blooded tone?
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 11:10 am
@oristarA,
No, but I can see why you would think so. The usage is so common that it doesn't sound at all cold blooded, anymore. We are forever dropping our children off at day care, school, soccer practice, etc. It does sound like they kind of tossed the kid out the window while driving by, but the phrase simply doesn't have that emotional content. Again, I can see you would think so, upon hearing the expression for the first time.
0 Replies