Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 06:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
nods
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 08:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

There's a critter known as the Maine coon-cat. The popular theory is that it's a cross between a cat and a racoon. However, as this is a biological impossibility, I suspect it's just a semi-feral feline that happens to resemble a racoon in its markings -- black mask, bushy ringed tail etc.

That's like the urban myth that went around a while back about chihuahuas having rat in their ancestry.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 09:50 pm
@dlowan,
Read it and weep.

Quote:
"As part of an ambitious effort to identify genes that cause disease in dogs and humans, scientists at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle analyzed DNA collected from 414 dogs representing 85 breeds, including some of the most popular. The findings have sent reverberations though the ranks of dog fanciers, who primp and preen their beloved companions for shows and take great pride in their pedigrees.

"It was a surprise to find that some breeds such as the Ibizan hound and the Pharaoh hound, along with several others that dog aficionados have long believed dated back thousands of years, are actually much more modern animals - re-creations that were probably produced by breeders," said geneticist Leonid Kruglyak, who helped conduct the research. "However, it was more of a surprise to find that some breeds are not even dogs."

"Among other findings, the analysis determined that the Chihuahua is actually a type of large rodent, selectively bred for centuries to resemble a canine.

"This is clearly going to raise some eyebrows in the Chihuahua world," said Peggy Wilson, president of the Chihuahua Club of America. "It goes against our belief system. People are pretty passionate about their dogs. There is going to be disbelief."

Using 96 distinct patterns in the genes called "microsatellites," the researchers compared dogs within breeds, and breeds with one another. In the May 21 issue of the journal Science, the team concluded that almost every breed was surprisingly distinct genetically. They were able to identify each dog's breed by its genes with 99 percent accuracy. They also found that breeds could be clearly grouped into four distinct clusters based on striking genetic similarities: ancient dogs, hunters, herders, and guard dogs.

"Once we had these groups pretty well mapped out, the canine mimics were easy to pick out," added Kruglyak. "And actually, it was kind of intuitive in hindsight."

The study found that several diminutive breeds had been independently created around the world from a variety of other animals.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 10:26 pm
@roger,
Well, I'll be a poodle's uncle. That's truly weird. You got a link for that, Rog?
roger

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 11:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
You bet. http://www.watleyreview.com/2004/052504-3.html

This is probably the original as I believe it's a bit more detailed.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 01:17 am
To be frank, I don't even like leash laws for dogs. Possibly laws mandating that any dog owner be required to complete a course in how to effectively control his brute by voice commands. And, of course, making the owner fully rsponsible for any and all damages a dog might caause, including mental anguish to someone terrified of dogs etc. etc. Dogs are not all that difficult to train to heel and stay in place w/o a leash or harness.
dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 01:26 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Well, I'll be a poodle's uncle. That's truly weird. You got a link for that, Rog?

It's a JOKE!

Much as I wish to deny it, chihuahuas and such are all dog.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 04:38 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Well, isn't that inconsistent? I mean, if the law that is designed specifically to deal with cats is never enforced, how often do you think a general law regarding nuisances would be enforced against cat owners? Surely, if the town doesn't enforce the former, I can't see it vigorously enforcing the latter. Consequently, you can't seriously take the position that the law aimed specifically at stray cats is unnecessary because there's this other law aimed at nuisances if that law isn't enforced either.

Obviously neither is being enforced...and since it was my opinion that neither ever would be...I felt the second law was unnecessary.

If you think otherwise, great! If you think that it means I am being inconsistent, great! Whatever makes you happy makes me happy.
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 05:00 am
It's stupid to contemplate leashing cats. Just round 'em up and herd 'em out.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 07:56 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

It's a JOKE!

He did not ask if it was a joke. He asked if I had a link. I did. So there!
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 08:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
If you think otherwise, great! If you think that it means I am being inconsistent, great! Whatever makes you happy makes me happy.

Your inconsistency doesn't make me happy. Quite the reverse. You've obviously given this issue some thought, but not enough to articulate a consistent position. Why would that make me happy?
dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 09:05 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

dlowan wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

It's a JOKE!

He did not ask if it was a joke. He asked if I had a link. I did. So there!

Rat attack!
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 02:30 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Your inconsistency doesn't make me happy.

I am NOT being inconsistent. I was talking about you thinking I was being inconsistent. There is a difference.

So I repeat, "If you think that it means I am being inconsistent, great! Whatever makes you happy makes me happy."

Quote:
You've obviously given this issue some thought, but not enough to articulate a consistent position.

I have articulated a consistent position...even though you are insisting I am being inconsistent. Newsweek Magazine apparently agrees...and gave me a full page in their magazine to have my say (and paid me $1000 to boot.)

If you are having trouble seeing my position as consistent...reconsider. And if you still don't...go do something else.

Quote:
Why would that make me happy?

Beats the hell out of me, Joe. But I often see you apparently getting a kick out of stuff most people wouldn't. In any case, my comments were hypotheticals. If they make you happy...good. If they do not...not so good.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 03:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I have articulated a consistent position...even though you are insisting I am being inconsistent. Newsweek Magazine apparently agrees...and gave me a full page in their magazine to have my say (and paid me $1000 to boot.)

Bully for you and Newsweek. Of course, being paid for your opinion makes it no more valid than one that is offered gratis. The fact remains that you criticized the leash law because it was unnecessary, given that there was already a nuisance law in place, even though you acknowledge that the nuisance law isn't enforced either. But the fact that the nuisance law isn't enforced is as much an argument for a leash law as it is an argument against it. If you're having trouble seeing that inconsistency, then reconsider. And if you still don't ... go do something else.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 03:25 pm
@joefromchicago,
I love you, Joe.
margo

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2012 03:55 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Rat attack!

That's a rattack!

I spoke to Possum-cat about the possibility of walking on a leash!

He suggested I start banking with the blood bank! Shocked Confused Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 08:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I love you, Joe.

And you are the wind beneath my wings, Frank.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 09:01 am
@Lustig Andrei,
unfortunately there are too many dumb owners
Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 10:17 am
@Linkat,
What she said.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2012 07:42 pm
@Linkat,
My two cats were indoor cats.

Okay I admit I once bought collars and leashes for them but they just looked at me like I was an idiot.