Should there be a cat leash law?

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 10:55 am
@chai2,
Quote:
but I won't say that I think it's insane or inhumane to put a leash on the cat.

what I meant was that it is insane to make a law that cats have to leashed. I did leash one cat - one that enjoyed going out and had an experience like and I also had the other experience where my other cat was terrified at being outside.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 10:57 am
@Eva,
Yeah and the plastic water thingy was so big that they never got to discuss the cat leash law thing last night. The plastic water thing got passed by the way - so no more plastic water bottles under a liter are to be sold in Concord.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 11:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
wow an issue since 1949
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 11:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
that is priceless - love this comment:

Quote:
with the sole dissenter using the adjective "stupid" to describe the law when casting his vote.

At least some one had common sense - and I think this is what it is all about - just plain old common sense. You would be better served to simply outlaw cats as pets.

As far as the sandbox thing - my mom had this problem as she has a sandbox in her yard for her grandkids - you simply have a top for it - most now come with a top and you just put a brick on it. Cats aren't are clever as raccoons so they can't get into them with a brick on it.
Mame

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 11:16 am
My 2 cents worth - our cat goes outside but usually stays in the back yard. I don't have a problem with cats wandering around; however, I don't particularly want other cats in my yard bothering my cat, rooting around my garden, peeing on my lawn, etc. Don't know if they actually do that, but dogs do so cats might. We have a neighbouring cat who comes to our yard and yowls or whatever at our cat - they're not friendly at all. If they got along, I'd be fine with it.

Should they be leashed? I've never known a cat who walked on a leash Smile

Birds? Yes, they kill birds, unfortunately...
roger

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 11:24 am
@Mame,
Red tailed hawks kill cute little prairie dogs, too. Fortunately, we're not close to running out of prairie dogs. Or red tailed hawks, for that matter.

Nermal covers lots of territory in his wanderings, and the world is his sandbox. Unlike some domestic critters, he doesn't dump in the middle of sidewalks and other conspicuous places.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 11:54 am
@sozobe,
I also realize there are two reasonable sides to the story.

The two points I stressed, though, were:

There already is a nuisance law in effect that would cover a pet cat causing trouble for someone else...and...

...the law probably would never be enforced.

In any case, I have checked...and the new cat leash law was passed and in the 18 years since has NEVER been enforced.

Fact is, the nuisance law has NEVER been used to deal with any stray cats.

The law was nonsense from start to finish...started by a councilwoman who acknowledged that she just did not like cats.

It was fun to fight city hall, so to speak.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I also realize there are two reasonable sides to the story.

The two points I stressed, though, were:

There already is a nuisance law in effect that would cover a pet cat causing trouble for someone else...and...

...the law probably would never be enforced.

Well, isn't that inconsistent? I mean, if the law that is designed specifically to deal with cats is never enforced, how often do you think a general law regarding nuisances would be enforced against cat owners? Surely, if the town doesn't enforce the former, I can't see it vigorously enforcing the latter. Consequently, you can't seriously take the position that the law aimed specifically at stray cats is unnecessary because there's this other law aimed at nuisances if that law isn't enforced either.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:51 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Cats aren't are clever as raccoons

Raccoons aren't as indolent as cats.
dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 04:00 pm
@DrewDad,
Raccoons almost have hands.
sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 04:01 pm
@dlowan,
Your cats almost have hands.

I've seen them!

Very hand-y cats.

Maybe they're a cat-raccoon-alien hybrid?
thack45

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 04:28 pm
@roger,
So you're saying that, eventually, we're going to have to start leashing our red tailed hawks? Great.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 04:34 pm
@DrewDad,
Raccoons rule.

I've personal experience, the raccoon moving above the ceiling over the work toilet.
The ceiling broke.
I've recounted that before.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 05:45 pm
@dlowan,
Racoons have opposable thumbs, just like primates do. That's why they can lift covers off dustbins and bricks off plain wooden covers. They're clever little devils. I adore racoons/
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 06:06 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I like them too.
I suppose we are regenerate marauderphiles.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 06:25 pm
@ossobuco,
That's unregenerate.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 06:28 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

That's unregenerate.

That's understood. Smile
dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 06:31 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Your cats almost have hands.

I've seen them!

Very hand-y cats.

Maybe they're a cat-raccoon-alien hybrid?

Cat/monkey/alien!
dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 06:33 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

So you're saying that, eventually, we're going to have to start leashing our red tailed hawks? Great.

Nah...their prey has evolved to handle being eaten by red-tails.

Unless you folk decide you want to imprison all the native predators and let the cats go free?
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 06:35 pm
@dlowan,
There's a critter known as the Maine coon-cat. The popular theory is that it's a cross between a cat and a racoon. However, as this is a biological impossibility, I suspect it's just a semi-feral feline that happens to resemble a racoon in its markings -- black mask, bushy ringed tail etc.