Unanswered ??????

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:50 am
Forgive an old fart on the verge of Alz’s and only limited familiarity with the Digital World, but what does “Unanswered” mean

Thanks guys

Edited to remark Aha! It means threads in which the last posting is mine

In my own defense, the confusion arose from my presumption that an unanswered OP must be one with yet no replies

Edited once more to note that my assumption in the above edit is evidently wrong: There are at least two kinds of “Unanswered,” one in which the last posting is mine but the other in which the OP is answered and of course it is the latter which has me in a turmoil

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:53 am
@dalehileman,
You mean this?

http://able2know.org/unanswered/

The idea is to gather topics that have been started but nobody has replied to them yet.

If you're bored, or just feeling helpful, you can go through and try to answer anything that you might know.

However I think that something's been amiss with the code there for a while -- I vaguely remember seeing something about it, but couldn't say anything definitively. Many of the topics in that category do seem to have received answers, at any rate.

edit: actually, I think what it might be is that these are all questions (as opposed to discussions), and the person who asked the question has not selected a "best answer" yet. Once it's selected I think it then is off the "unanswered" list. You can try that here to test.
roger

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:56 am
@sozobe,
Way to beg for an award, soz!
sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:58 am
@roger,
Choose roger!
roger

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:06 am
@sozobe,
But, unspoken snickers do not count as answers.
sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:10 am
@roger,
That snicker was totally spoken.

Anyway it's just a test. For science!

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:11 am
@sozobe,

Yes, the latter

Quote:
The idea is to gather topics that have been started but nobody has replied to them yet.
That’s exactly what had me going in the first place because nearly all those entries have been answered

Quote:
If you're bored, or just feeling helpful,
Not so much bored as retired and not so much helpful as curious

Quote:
However I think that something's been amiss with the code there for a while
That’s the impression I’m getting

Quote:
edit: actually, I think what it might be is that these are all questions (as opposed to discussions), and the person who asked the question has not selected a "best answer" yet. Once it's selected I think it then is off the "unanswered" list. You can try that here to test.
Wow! Soz you might have nailed it

I can think of ways to make the issue even more complicated but yardwork is calling

But if you really want an example of complicated software you should go here:

http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/

You’ll spend half your time there attempting to untie all sorts of strange and unfathomable rules

But speaking of unfathomable, if you have any pull with a2k Admin you might ask them if they could simplify the rules governing when you may or may not use the mouse to scroll an edit window
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:16 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Way to beg for an award, soz!

I say give that lady the red ribbon already. Me with my 26 ribbons? I am clearly a red ribbon whore.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
to scroll an edit window
…..and Soz while you’re there, but only if you agree, extend editing time from 10 minutes to at least 3 hours--so as not to cut us off in the middle of a thought or leave embarrassing typos for posterity
0 Replies