Tooth Fairy economics

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 07:04 pm
Quote:

By Rachel Zarrell
Globe Staff / April 24, 2012

Years ago, when a child in her daughter’s class lost her first tooth and got $20 from the Tooth Fairy, Linda Jerrett was angry. “All the parents were,” Jerrett, whose daughter is now 20, recalled. “Their daughter was one of the first at the time to lose a tooth. We didn’t have quite as much money, so we were like, ‘What are you doing?’ ”

Jerrett, who lives in Reading,MA, also has two younger children, ages 7 and 13, which has put her back into the role of the Tooth Fairy all over again more than a decade (and a much-changed economy) later. Still, as for how she determines how much cash the imaginary sprite will swap for baby teeth, she said “social pressure” remains her guiding factor.

“In my town it’s generally five bucks a tooth,” Jerrett said, an amount that’s almost $3 more than the 2011 national per tooth average of $2.10, according to an annual survey done by insurer Delta Dental.

Such totals are due, in part, to the rise in kids’ — and parents’ — expectations around just about every holiday and near-holiday. At Halloween, a plastic bucket to collect candy isn’t enough anymore — there’s scary yard decor to consider and catalogs filled with pricey costumes. Easter often includes wrapped gifts in addition to a cute candy basket. And when birthdays roll around, many kids expect a bash at Build-a-Bear or a rented jumpy house in the backyard. Pin the tail on the donkey? Please.

And so it is with the Tooth Fairy.

What was once a magical experience that helped overshadow the mild trauma of tooth loss – a fairy leaving a token under a pillow in exchange for baby teeth – may be going the route of other gift-giving occasions. Some parents feel pressure to give an amount equal to their child’s peers, if not a gift as well. It’s keeping up with the Fairy Joneses.

Frantic parents will often stop by the children’s store Magic Beans in Brookline,MA, where manager Colin Dwyer helps them find the perfect gift to celebrate a lost tooth.

“If it’s a first tooth it could be something pretty big. A lot of times, because they’re losing teeth a lot, they’ll buy little things,” he said, adding, “It’s almost like a panic moment.”

To be prepared for unexpected tooth loss, he said some parents like to stock up on toys. Purchases will often be small tchotchkes that are part of a set, like Lego Minifigures, which cost $4 each and come in an opaque silver bag, to make the contents a surprise. Charm It charms are also popular, which attach to a bracelet and cost around $5 each.

MORE HERE:
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/family/articles/2012/04/24/tooth_fairy_economics/

What're the economics of this in your neck of the woods, parents with small fry? Shocked me when I read it. Back in my day a quarter (.25 cents) was a lot of money to get for one steenkin' tooth.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 07:06 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Here's a related item:

http://www.boston.com/community/moms/articles/2012/04/24/something_to_chew_on/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 07:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I can't remember now. I'm sure I have a record of it here someplace.

What I do remember is that I wasn't prepared, and didn't realize until about 20 minutes before bedtime that holy **** the tooth fairy needed to make a visit that night. And I didn't have anything suitable, so I improvised and it was on the high side.

Ooh, just found it! $5.

HOWEVER, she then wanted her tooth back. I gave it back to her (er, the tooth fairy did), and from then on we didn't do the tooth fairy thing. She just kept all of her teeth.

So the total outlay was $5.

I'd planned on going big for the first one and then after that giving her $1 gold coins, but that ended up being moot.

Then... (an old Sozlet Story, circa 2007):

sozobe wrote:
Just found this. It's from earlier this summer, I'd guess June or so, after she lost her seventh tooth and refused to give up her seventh tooth. She has some notion that the tooth fairy is a middleman -- pays for the goods and then sells them at a profit, or something. And that by depriving the tooth fairy of all of these teeth, she (sozlet) was damaging her (Tooth Fairy's) livelihood.

So I found this and a couple of dollars under her pillow:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/deartoothfairy.jpg
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 07:24 pm
@sozobe,
Great story, Soz! What do you think of this current trend of $20 for each baby tooth?
sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 07:33 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It's a bit much!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 07:35 pm
I love that story, soz!

The going rate around here was $5 and that rate was thanks to my mom. Mo lost his first tooth (and second tooth) while we were visiting her and she put two $2 bills and a dollar coin out for him each time.

Mo recently lost his last baby tooth and while I'm sure he no longer believed in the tooth fairy he does believe in money so he played along.

It was kind of like the Santa thing. He quit believing several years ago, asked us for the truth and we told him the truth. His friends told him he was crazy to tell us he didn't believe, that it would effect his loot. He started "believing" again.
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:39 am
@Lustig Andrei,
funny I lived in Reading at one time - $2. Sometimes a little extra change thrown in so I am probably about at the average of $2.10. But I usually give a gold coin ($1 coin) - only the tooth fairy gives out golden coins.

Great way to fake the kids out thinking they are getting more.

And at Easter I do usually give a gift too - but that is more to avoid giving more candy.
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:41 am
@boomerang,
same with my 13 year old - she just lost a tooth and she got the gold coin and dollar bill.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:43 am
@Linkat,
Reading, as I recall, is not exactly the most posh or wealthy Boston suburb. So $2, I would think, represented a bit of an investment. And I think your idea of the "gold" coin is really clever, Lin.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:46 am
@Lustig Andrei,
By the way, as the pile of teeth increased (she's lost all of her baby teeth, we have a little box with all 20 of them in it), I wondered if it the tooth fairy thing was partly about this:

Quote:
What was once a magical experience that helped overshadow the mild trauma of tooth loss – a fairy leaving a token under a pillow in exchange for baby teeth

but then also partly a way to get teeth away from kids. They're kind of gory little things. And they crack really easily after they dry out.
Ceili

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:51 am
I gave my kids $5. for the first tooth... this was back when the Canuck dollar was almost 2/1 to the greenback. Every subsequent tooth got a couple of the shiniest loons - our gold coloured $1 coins. That's a pretty consistent rate in my family, but the kids get twoonies now.
When I was a kid, it began with a dime and progressed up to a quarter.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:08 am
I wish that I could remember if my daughter got any for teeth at all.
I can best remember the discussion about money (and was not a small amount) for good grades.
I said NO, no money or a gift because you have done your best and get good grades.
If you have done your best to prepare for good grades and then you fail - thenI will give you something for comfort. That is the way I did it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 12:39 pm
@sozobe,
I've kept all my kids' baby teeth to date.
0 Replies