Why does the Universe exist?

brianjakub

Sun 27 Jan, 2019 06:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Yes, and mythologies get mixed into the stories that is repeated often enough for it to become facts.

Quote:

Most cultures across the globe have some form of mythology.
Mythology
American Arabian Armenian Aztec Celtic Christian Chinese Egyptian Greek Guarani Hindu Inca Islamic Japanese Jewish Korean Maya Mesopotamian Micronesian Norse Persian Philippine Polynesian Roman Romanian Slavic Turkic
See also
Religion and mythology Comparative religion Symbolism Theology
List of mythologies
vte
Myth is a folklore genre consisting of narratives that play a fundamental role in society, such as foundational tales. The main characters in myths are usually gods, demigods or supernatural humans.[1][2][3] Myths are often endorsed by rulers and priests and are closely linked to religion or spirituality.[1] In fact, many societies group their myths, legends and history together, considering myths to be true accounts of their remote past.[1][2][4][5] Creation myths particularly, take place in a primordial age when the world had not achieved its later form.[1][6][7] Other myths explain how a society's customs, institutions and taboos were established and sanctified.[1][7] There is a complex relationship between recital of myths and enactment of rituals.

So what's wrong with that. Before man learned to read and write oral traditions is all they had. If some 2,000,000 year old book shows up we will surely know it isn't real.

Moses and Jesus came to explain what part of the mythology is true and what is bullsh**.

They had a lot of witnesses that wrote it down. The books that were left out of the bible did not fit the narrative that they established and passed on to eye witnesses.

What more can you expect than that? You want him to appear every generation so you can talk to an eye witness or maybe even be one?
0 Replies

brianjakub

Sun 27 Jan, 2019 06:55 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Do you realise that the more you play such semantic games, the more it points to your 'faith' looking so shakey that it needs to be continuously patched up by make-do repairs ?

I am not patching up. I am clarifying the interpretation of the data to match reality.

But since you don't believe in reality that will seem nonsensical to you. Confused

That confuses and worries me about you, especially when you are so intelligent.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Sun 27 Jan, 2019 06:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
. Scientists talk about the Big Bang theory, but I'm not a supporter of that theory. I do not believe in something appearing from nothing - yet. There has to be something to be the original substance or energy/atoms.

That is a very intelligent comment. But, how do you know the idea for your previous quote came into existence through your mind or because of your mind. If it came through your mind it could be nonphysical in its nature couldn't it?
Fil Albuquerque

Sun 27 Jan, 2019 09:05 pm
@brianjakub,
...there are several cyclic models for the "origin" of the Universe without recurring to your Flying Spaghetti Monster, let me post some:

cicerone imposter

Sun 27 Jan, 2019 10:34 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil, Excellent! Expansion is the best explanation I have seen thus far. It's just that us humans can't "see" infinity. It's beyond our ability to comprehend what all this means.
fresco

Mon 28 Jan, 2019 02:39 am
There are no 'absolutes' in science...only in religion.
What we call 'the universe' changes as science progresses, and 'explanation' attempts to keep up accordingly. The Big Bang is merely the most useful robust model to date which accounts for most (n0t all) astronomical observation by humans. The 'something from nothing'objection is a Red Herring if we take into account, for example, zero sum principles (or indeed cyclic models). It has no theistic status.
In short, it is self evident to me that 'existence' per se is not absolute, but relative to shifting state of knowledge of human observers. What IS, is merely an expression of human focus of selective attention according to the epistemological spectacles currently worn.
'Reality' is a word used by humans to denote a current state of agreement about 'is-ness'. That is all. Notice that it only arises in conversation when there is disagreement. But religionists who put 'The Word' on a pedestal have tend to have their spectacles welded to their heads !

brianjakub

Mon 28 Jan, 2019 02:46 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I have watched them. I prefer "magic sky daddy" if you dont mind.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Mon 28 Jan, 2019 03:05 am
@fresco,
That could be. With the current incomplete nderstanding that is being taught being taught like in Fils videos you cou conclude that. Once they figure out where gravity comes from, why every electron in the entire universe is spinning in the same direction , and how every particle in the universe is entangled except those in the electron cloud (Which is why we have the fine structure constant is not 1 and is what it is because of the geometry of space. ) science is going to start promoting ID. It will be an emergent intelligence and not a pre-existing omnipotent God though . Unless scientist start noticing the patterns of qm in the bible. Somehow the ancients knew every electron was spinning east. Probably not a coincidence.
cicerone imposter

Mon 28 Jan, 2019 11:31 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
science is going to start promoting ID
You're quite wrong. There's a big difference between creation and evolution. When people believe and push creationism, they first have to prove the first source. Humans have created thousands of gods, but science tells us the best explanation for our universe. A little education might help you understand what the scientists are saying about this planet and our universe. https://science.nasa.gov/solar-system/big-questions/how-did-life-begin-and-evolve-earth-and-has-it-evolved-elsewhere-solar-system Scientists have determined that our planet is 4.5 billion years old. Not the 7,000 years that the Bible suggests. http://godandscience.org/youngearth/age_of_the_earth.html
georgeob1

Mon 28 Jan, 2019 11:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
And you are wrong to suggest that science has found an explanation for the origin on the universe, or the source of the energy behind the big bang
cicerone imposter

Mon 28 Jan, 2019 12:09 pm
@georgeob1,
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/space/universe/origins-of-the-universe/ and https://www.reference.com/science/ultimate-source-energy-9680828053141cd0
georgeob1

Mon 28 Jan, 2019 12:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You still don't get it. Where did the energy in the Big Bang come from?
cicerone imposter

Mon 28 Jan, 2019 12:35 pm
@georgeob1,
How would I know. Why do you expect me to answer that q? However, the best answer I see is that the sun is the energy source that provides for all living things on this planet. https://www.importantindia.com/11666/why-sun-is-considered-the-ultimate-source-of-energy/. Also, https://www.reference.com/science/source-sun-s-energy-76b4d49cced4ee03
0 Replies

brianjakub

Mon 28 Jan, 2019 06:58 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
...there are several cyclic models for the "origin" of the Universe without recurring to your Flying Spaghetti Monster, let me post some:

I believe a cyclic model for the "origin" of the Universe is necessary but it is hard to do without recurring to a Flying Spaghetti Monster. Roger Penrose alluded to that in your third video (you posted above )"Before the Big Bang 7" and had to specifically state he didn't believe in a Spaghetti monster or a "Sky Daddy" because his theory so strongly implied the need for one. Unfortunately, he did not offer a coherent alternative explanation to support his belief. Therefore, he is leaving people like me to believe that if he can't provide an alternative explanation, he probably will eventually jump on the "Spaghetti Monster /Sky Daddy" band wagon because implications usually lead to conclusions.
cicerone imposter

Mon 28 Jan, 2019 09:24 pm
@brianjakub,
Again, the Spaghetti Monster is "nature." All the past happened, because of nature. All about ice ages. http://www.scienceclarified.com/He-In/Ice-Ages.html Age of earth: https://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/parks/gtime/ageofearth.html These age of earth estimates were made from existing evidence. Those who lived 2000 years ago, didn't even know there were other lands, races and cultures. Anthropologists have determined that Homo sapiens originated in South Africa, not the Holy Land. Holy Land - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Land
The Holy Land (Hebrew: אֶרֶץ הַקּוֹדֶשׁ Eretz HaKodesh, Latin: Terra Sancta; Arabic: الأرض المقدسة Al-Arḍ Al-Muqaddasah or الديار المقدسة Ad-Diyar Al-Muqaddasah) is an area roughly located between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea that also includes the Eastern Bank of the Jordan River.
Leadfoot

Tue 29 Jan, 2019 08:08 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Fil, Excellent! Expansion is the best explanation I have seen thus far.
Always knew it only took a url or two to convince you of anything. It doesn't work that way for everybody.

Infinite Expansion and heat death, who knew..
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Jan, 2019 11:32 am
@Leadfoot,
Those "urls" are based on scientific evidence, not hokey pokey like your invisible man in the sky. The simple fact that your god is a "man" reveals how silly this whole creation of a creator is. It can't get more nefarious than creating a man-god who tells man "thou shalt not kill," but "kill all non-believers." Also, only through me can you go to heaven. Just think, this god was created only 2000 years ago in the land of the Jews. What happens to all the other cultures and races in other lands who never heard of this man-god? Also, the millions who roamed this planet since 200,000 years ago? What happens to all those people? It is not logical.
Leadfoot

Tue 29 Jan, 2019 12:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How did you prove you were not a robot to get on A2K?
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Jan, 2019 12:22 pm
@Leadfoot,
I don't need to prove anything to morons like you!
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 29 Jan, 2019 01:03 pm
@brianjakub,
The problem goes way longer than Evolution vs Creationism...you have to believe in Free Will while I don't see any reason to believe it because it is a self contradictory concept, as it both requires and dismisses Determinism. You don't get any better with randomness...Same goes for Good and Evil, I believe there are stupid people and less stupid more cooperative people nothing else. Your "God" is dumb when he refers to Sinners and Saints...It gets even worse when we think about Heaven or Hell places where the food chain or energy distribution wouldn't work properly....how is it? The Lion and the Lamb shell walk together in my father's kingdom...oh man the all thing is just beyond childish, it is not even funny. How come full-grown adults believe this stuff is completely mysterious to me.