Fri 16 Dec, 2016 10:10 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
You hear with your eyes?

Some do. Synesthesiacs..
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Sat 17 Dec, 2016 11:26 pm
Asking why the Universe exist is like asking what is the cause of causation...stupid !
reasoning logic

Sat 17 Dec, 2016 11:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Asking why the Universe exist is like asking what is the cause of causation...stupid !

The universe exit for you only. Without you there would be no universe.
cicerone imposter

Sun 18 Dec, 2016 12:02 am
@reasoning logic,
Wrong. If you're the only one on earth, living would have no purpose.
reasoning logic

Sun 18 Dec, 2016 12:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
If you're the only one on earth, living would have no purpose.

You seem to know this because you have had the experience before?

Lets just say you are correct and you need other people to have a purpose. What would your purpose be?
0 Replies

north

Sun 18 Dec, 2016 03:09 am
@cicerone imposter,

Why ?

Because the Universe can .
0 Replies

north

Sun 18 Dec, 2016 03:10 am
@cicerone imposter,
Why ?

Because the Universe can .
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Sun 18 Dec, 2016 05:24 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:

The universe exit for you only. Without you there would be no universe.

I don't know about any ontological "you"...just unified experiencing.
We could talk about "Avatars" instead of "you's"...that would be an upgrade on the level of the debate IMO...
farmerman

Sun 18 Dec, 2016 06:03 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:

Science concerns itself with when and how. I never realized we needed someone to answer why?
I guess it gives em something to do with that expensive liberal arts education their parents doled on them
catbeasy

Sun 18 Dec, 2016 02:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
If you're the only one on earth, living would have no purpose.

This is part of it. Certainly we are social creatures and as such, so much of our lives are defined by others.

But, there are folks who from time to time choose to go off in the woods and live apart from humanity. Some do find purpose in that (See Thoreau). Also, I think if everyone but one person was suddenly left on the planet, then I think its possible to still find purpose. Whether any given individual could I can't say, but we do have the psycho-emotional tools to do it..
cicerone imposter

Sun 18 Dec, 2016 02:37 pm
@catbeasy,
I think almost anything is possible concerning how any human may wish to live.
I personally enjoy living in this generation that allows me to fly half way around the world in one day. To meet people around the world through social media such as able2know. To have the comforts and security of 'home' in a community that is relatively free of crime. To live in a climate such as ours where the average temperature is a little below 70 degrees. To be able to drive to San Francisco, the Pacific Ocean, or the Sierra Nevada Mountains (Yosemite National Park) in just a few hours.
Also having the wherewithal and opportunity to have traveled to over 80 countries.
Having flown to Mt Everest, dipped my feet in the Dead Sea (couple of times), visited all five continents, visited Esperanza Base on the Antarctic peninsula, met some famous people, and met and made friends all over the world.
It's been an interesting voyage.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sun 18 Dec, 2016 05:57 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
We could talk about "Avatars" instead of "you's"...that would be an upgrade on the level of the debate IMO...

When I say "you" I am meaning, "you who has the ability to perceive this conversation. What I mean is you or your brain or what ever ability it is that you have to perceive the conversation at hand.
reasoning logic

Sun 18 Dec, 2016 06:02 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
[Science concerns itself with when and how. I never realized we needed someone to answer why?

This seems to be the job of philosophers from what I have researched. It seems quite often that these philosophers bring forth questions for scientist to peer review to prove right or wrong.
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 19 Dec, 2016 05:28 am
@reasoning logic,
What's the purpose of a self enclosed ecosystem ? I suppose "its to work" is a straight forward solid answer...
...and yes the job of philosophers is to jump deep into concepts and check their limits so that science makes a better use of its resources in order to ask the right questions and make more resilient testing. There is no science without conjectures, hypothesis, and those in order to be fruitful need the Philosophical proper treatment. Science and Philosophy are absolutely intertwined. Anyone enlightened enough with a proper general education will understand why that is the case. That said Philosophy is difficult as it dwells in the limits of human comprehension...the result is that 90% of it is quite bad. This is not a critique of Philosophy as a discipline, quite the contrary...there is nothing harder you could chose to do. Philosophy taken seriously, to the point of being an obsession will bring you into the verge of potential madness. It bites you !

PS - Philosophy is to Science as Maths is to Engineering. Guess which is harder ?
0 Replies

catbeasy

Mon 19 Dec, 2016 10:00 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
we needed someone to answer why?

Quote:
This seems to be the job of philosophers from what I have researched

I think the philosophers job is to articulate, codify universally the language we use to search for meaning. As for meaning itself, I think that job is the individual person's job. The best statement I ever saw from a philosopher regarding meaning was from Victor Frankl. He basically said that we each have to find our own meaning/purpose. No one else can give it to you and no one else can give a universal answer to the 'meaning of it all'. I do think the search valuable though. Like with every other bit of information, its better a person come to this conclusion themselves than believe this because they were told by someone else..
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 19 Dec, 2016 10:10 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:

When I say "you" I am meaning, "you who has the ability to perceive this conversation. What I mean is you or your brain or what ever ability it is that you have to perceive the conversation at hand.

I know what you meant but follow the rabbit hole and start questioning the ontological status of the perceiver, the experiencer...your left with an Avatar...you know nothing about your own ultimater nature...you may be nothing but an APP, or an algorithm in a big universal computer. That which you see as you is an image that you know nothing about its origin. Again an Avatar.
cicerone imposter

Mon 19 Dec, 2016 01:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
An avatar trying to define another avatar. Curious.
reasoning logic

Mon 19 Dec, 2016 04:40 pm
@catbeasy,
Quote:
we needed someone to answer why?

Quote:
This seems to be the job of philosophers from what I have researched

Quote:
its better a person come to this conclusion themselves

This in my view is where they find the philosopher within their self. "themselves'.
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 19 Dec, 2016 07:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

An avatar trying to define another avatar. Curious.

"You" in the context didn't meant him personally, it was a generic term for all "you's" "us" or "I's".
...in case you haven't noticed yet I am countering the cogito ergo sum here.
cicerone imposter

Mon 19 Dec, 2016 09:15 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
'kay.