Why does the Universe exist?

HKVD

Thu 23 Jan, 2014 09:09 pm
I would guess its safe to assume that an existential crisis is something that everyone goes through (or at least the ones who are aware of their great potential). Surely, we tend to ask a lot of questions about things we don't understand but what if this particular one is just incomprehensible? I mean, were talking about the universe here. Many things are happening every passing second that don't care about humanity's existence at all. The cycles of stars for example; when a star dies, it destroys a whole lot of other planets around it, but does it care? No, its an inevitable process. Yes, it could be argued that we are sentient beings therefore the universe must have a reason to exist if we're in it. That may be so, but the universe is vast and we are merely small parts of the big machine when you come to think of it. It might be depressing to think about how were mere specs or a small cog in clockwork. So then, why not just have nothing at all? In my opinion, I feel as if we are meant to live as the sentient beings we are while we can. Its obvious we have no control of the majority of the things we see out there, and its very unlikely that we'd make a difference in the universe since it can obviously work without us. I for one, admit that I cannot give a concrete answer to this question. I can't give an answer to something when I don't even really know anything. I feel like that's the purpose of it though, to realize that we are going to die eventually, and everything else in the universe will continue to move on. Hence, we make our own little worlds and we ask questions, draw our own conclusions, wonder, experience, etc. Moreover, I feel as if that's what's important- to realize that we possibly wouldn't even be able to understand the answer when its given to us but we used the ability to THINK. Which is very fortunate of us to have. Some might be ungrateful for it and see it as a nuisance but overall we're lucky as hell to be one of the few mere specs in the universe that could think! It's also important to consider that maybe the reason why the universe exists is for us to bring our own meaning to it, but also keep in mind that it can continue on without us. Maybe we're better off not having to look for absolute answers because maybe there is no answer; maybe the universe just exists to exist. A clock without a craftsman.
velastegui

Thu 23 Jan, 2014 09:31 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
The universes existence is a complex subject to understand. Our perception of earth is seeing trees, buildings, and cars. It would be odd if the planet was constructed differently. Having a normal universe is natural for us and we cannot imagine it any other way. If there was no universe? That means it would be a planet filled with atoms and particles. Which would just be another ordinary planet like Jupiter and Pluto, but with no human life. The confusing aspect is who and how the universe was formed? The only ideal belief is that supreme being constructed our universe, which is the religious perspective. Personally, I believe that the universe was formed out of curiosity. Perhaps it could be that other non-human like creatures made earth to examine how we live. These are all guesses that one might think, but cannot get accurate evidence. The argument of design best describes my perspective because it states that the universe was created by anything such as evil demon, a very powerful computer, or some other very powerful intelligence. Therefore, the question of the universes existence will remain unanswerable.

lanaa

Thu 23 Jan, 2014 09:33 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
It doesn't really need a "why?". The universe just exists. There will never be a definite answer for this question. People may continue to ask why, because it is a natural purpose seeking question; that may be answered for some through gods, and others through Science. The reality of it is, as we exist now, we will never know the purpose of the universe until we reach beyond it. Possibly through death, since the on goings after death are also a mystery, that go hand in hand with this question.
As for, "Why is there a universe at all?". The universe exists and serves us for what what we need it to exist for at this moment. The universe for us is around because we observe it, we are using it for our advantages. Therefore, the universe exists for us to take advantage of, and use for our survival, because that is the state in which we are currently using it for.
0 Replies

velastegui

Thu 23 Jan, 2014 09:33 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
The universes existence is a complex subject to understand. Our perception of earth is seeing trees, buildings, and cars. It would be odd if the planet was constructed differently. Having a normal universe is natural for us and we cannot imagine it any other way. If there was no universe, that means it would be a planet filled with atoms and particles. This would just be another ordinary planet like Jupiter and Pluto, but with no human life. The confusing aspect is who and how the universe was formed? The only ideal belief is that Supreme Being constructed our universe, which is the religious perspective. Personally, I believe that the universe was formed out of curiosity. Perhaps it could be that other non-human like creatures made earth to examine how we live. These are all guesses that one might think, but cannot get accurate evidence. The argument of design best describes my perspective because it states that the universe was created by anything such as evil demon, a very powerful computer, or some other very powerful intelligence. Therefore, the question of the universe will remain unanswerable.
0 Replies

velastegui

Thu 23 Jan, 2014 09:51 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
The universes existence is a complex subject to understand. Our perception of earth is seeing trees, buildings, and cars. It would be odd if the planet was constructed differently. Having a normal universe is natural for us and we cannot imagine it any other way. If there was no universe, that means it would be a planet filled with atoms and particles. This would just be another ordinary planet like Jupiter and Pluto, but with no human life. The confusing aspect is who and how the universe was formed? The only ideal belief is that Supreme Being constructed our universe, which is the religious perspective. Personally, I believe that the universe was formed out of curiosity. Perhaps it could be that other non-human like creatures made earth to examine how we live. These are all guesses that one might think, but cannot get accurate evidence. The argument of design best describes my perspective because it states that the universe was created by anything such as evil demon, a very powerful computer, or some other very powerful intelligence. Therefore, the question of the universes existence will remain unanswerable.
dalehileman

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:29 pm
@HKVD,
Well written, Hk; tho no offense, a bit of paragraphing is always welcome

Quote:
Yes, it could be argued that we are sentient beings therefore the universe must have a reason to exist if we're in it.
Well put Hk. While it's a purely intuitive notion, we mustn't underestimate the power of intuition. Clearly the Universe as is, has evolved by purely natural process, from the massive (infinitely massive?) tiny primordial spec (zero diameter?) of uniform composition then subsequent Big Bang. Judging from his relative lack of importance to the rest of it, however, he's hard to account for

Quote:
So then, why not just have nothing at all?
Yea Hk, that's really the Big Q, isn't it. Intuition says that eventually (not now, partly because our dualistic languages don't permit) it will be shown that "nothingness" can't be, entailing paradox and contradiction; in other words, It, She, is here simply because She hasta be

Quote:
I can't give an answer to something when I don't even really know anything.
You deserve a whole lot more credit. Just asking the right q's is an accomplishment

Quote:
important- to realize that we possibly wouldn't even be able to understand the answer
I hafta disagree here, Hk. We'll be able to posit some of the the answers tho, like "nothingness," we won't be able to picture them in Minds' Eye

Quote:
maybe the universe just exists to exist.
Well put Hk. One of the main problems is a kind of dualism where it isn't acknowledged that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else; another, as I've indicated, is that we're stuck at present with a sort of dualism that won't permit Her in any form except anthropomorphic

Quote:
A clock without a craftsman
My own intuition has a craftsman. Her body is The Universe, All, It; and the activity therein is Her thinking

Without revealing anything critical to your ID, Hk, please tell us something about yourself
dalehileman

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:35 pm
@velastegui,
Quote:
The confusing aspect is who and how the universe was formed?
A natural process out of sheer necessity (Please see my response above to Hk)

Quote:
….. such as evil demon, a very powerful computer, or some other very powerful intelligence.
The problem again, Vel, being our dualism that demands absolute distinction between concrete and abstract as well as languages insufficient to see Her as She is, an entity combining all three

Incidentally recent discoveries showing constants as interdependent strongly suggest that She is the way She is because She can't be any other way. She's simply part of a natural process

Quote:
It would be odd if the planet was constructed differently.
Exactly
0 Replies

dalehileman

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:44 pm
@informateur,
Indeed Info thanks, and I will scan 'em at some later juncture. Meanwhile however I'm curious specifically what it is, apparently in my own subconscious, that prompts your observation about my hidden agenda; OT so maybe new thd
0 Replies

BomboclatFord

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 07:50 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
The universe is an existing matter and space also known as the cosmos. It's existence is simply dependant on a persons perception of it. If a person cannot percieve the true existnce of the universe, it therefore does not exist. Furthermore the universe's inhabitants each have a different vision of the universe. An example of this is when one person has a bad day there perception of the world is all bad things. Meanwhile a person they come across may be having the greatest day of their lives, yet according to the person with the bad day, they percieve the happy person to be experiencing the same bad day. According to most, the creation of the universe was all because of god. This can also be disputed from a rationalist vs empiricist point of view on whether expeirence bests knowledge. An empiricist would enforce the belief that god created the universe, and a rationalist can counter their beliefs by asking if any physical evidence exist of gods creation. The universe is as it is because its existence cannot be altered. The universe is comprised with numerous stars and planets that no being can possibly alter, therefore allowing the universe to be the way it is. Renowned philosopher Aristotle says that the universe existed forever because something eternal is true perfection just like the universe.
0 Replies

Merlinthephilosopher

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 09:55 pm
@velastegui,
Why is there a universe? Why is there words for things? Why do we even bother of asking these questions? I think it’s because that we are simply curious and desire for knowledge or the “truth” rather. We create our own curiosity, our own dissatisfaction, our own achievements, our own truth. Humans, that name itself, was created by us and everything else that consists of this reality, illusion, world, space. The reason why everything is as it is is because we chose its’ name, its’ properties’ and its’ existence. Is there a God? maybe. Are we Conscious? Maybe. We decided that there is a Universe and WE asked why it exists. That in itself is a paradox, that’s like asking God, why he/she exists. Without language there would be no universe. So, why is there a Universe? I say, because I said so. Yoloswag420blazeit.
cicerone imposter

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 10:12 pm
@Merlinthephilosopher,
Rather, it's all the result of evolution. Everything.
0 Replies

sorella001

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:13 am
Unfortunately, this is a question that will probably never be answered. Yes, many philosophers have come up with their own theories, for example, Plato says that the universe exists in ones mind but once again this is only a theory. One can relate back to religion to answer this question, one can relate back to past philosophy to try and answer this question. We as human beings, stuck in this "universe" don't know much past our name, and what is put in front of us. We live everyday believing what is right in front of our faces, yet the "universe" has so much more to offer that we as human beings just aren't able to understand. So to ask this question is asking way to much of the human mind. One is almost tempted to say that the day a human being truly discovers what the universe is, and why it is the way it is, that day will be the end of what we all know as the "universe".
0 Replies

Michael Commisso

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 08:11 am
The existence of the universe is a heavily debated topic and has been pondered by many philosophers throughout history. However, I believe that this question is poorly worded, and far too vague. Everyone's perception of the universe and all that it encompasses vastly varies. Ones perception of the universe is what they perceive it to be through the senses. The universe exists in ones mind. Therefore, for someone to come to a definite conclusion of the origins of the universe is impossible and illogical. Moreover, I believe that the mind that we perceive the universe through is a God-given gift. The mind that we create this universe with is created by God, which forces me to question, has God created the universe through our own minds? This is a very platonic statement, as Plato's Allegory of The Cave states that, we perceive a universe through what our mind or intelligence allows us, but there is a true universe beyond our understanding. This pertains to the question of the universes origins very much. This is because the universe that we perceive through our minds is all that we can see, so we allow it to exist this way. Is that why the universe exists? Does the universe exist so that we can develop our own perception of the universe through intellectual enlightenment? The universe that we perceive and sense is only the shadow on the wall of Plato's allegorical cave, and we are just the chained prisoners. This universe that we believe to exist is only in existence to lead us outwards away from the cave, and onto the path of true, and absolute knowledge.
dalehileman

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 11:55 am
@Michael Commisso ,
Quote:
Does the universe exist so that we can develop our own perception of the universe through intellectual enlightenment?
Intuition does suggest, Mike, that the humanoid does play a special part since the entire exercise would be meaningless without us. The evolution of an entity however depends upon its contribution to the whole. But we're such a small and relatively helpless part of the Whole Shebang it's hard to understand how we could have had the slightest effect in the process
cicerone imposter

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:26 pm
@dalehileman,
We humans can have an effect on this planet by over-using its resources, and polluting the air. That has a real impact on all living things.
dalehileman

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yea Cis how true. Yet our very existence seems thereby to hinder not promote our evolution
0 Replies

hello my name is

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 05:38 pm
@velastegui,
Why does the universe exist? Being a subjective question some are inclined to believe, such as the cosmological theory explains, that if there in fact is no uncaused cause then God could possibly be the answer, and could explain the creation of humanity whom were made in his image to evolve and progress as a “community”. Other’s however, may take the scientific approach tracing history through its progression back to the big bang until time and space switched between matter and anti matter. To be logical about this topic is to confess that there is no definite answer because it is based solely on theoretical explanations and subjective views. But the option of accidental creation can be another explanation. To believe there is a purpose to our universe and our life can be a bit pretentious. There is the possibility of the creation of another universe that within itself caused our creation. If so, our universe and life has no absolute meaning than the fact that we are product of a larger idea progressing through time and space. To know the reason for its existence is just as ridiculously difficult but it does however, explain our creation. An accidental happening that evolved into humanity. If this is to be true, it still does not rule God from being a creator. If the universe was in fact made in his image any by-product must contain the same likeness. If so, God could had made us for the purpose of creating a bigger idea and at the same time provided us with enough freedom to understand our purpose and live it through the progression of humanity which is living life itself. This includes philosophizing, learning and overall being a human full of curiosity about our universe. This of course is just another theory.
neologist

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 07:26 pm
@hello my name is,
Hello, hello. Welcome to the forum. Would you be so kind as to condider paragraph breaks?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 09:26 pm
Quote:
Hello said: This includes philosophizing, learning and overall being a human full of curiosity about our universe. This of course is just another theory

Right..Smile
Jesus said- "I know where I came from and where I am going, but you have no idea where I come from or where I am going....
you are of this world, I am not of this world.....
I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (John 8:14/ 8:23, Matt 13:35)

So all open-minded people are only too glad to listen to him, how about you Spock?

"Affirmative, I'm all ears"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Spock-vwj.jpg
0 Replies

dalehileman

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 12:21 pm
@hello my name is,
Hello, Agree w Neo, paras would help; though otherwise you write well

Quote:
There is the possibility of the creation of another universe that within itself caused our creation.
The less evidence for something the less likely it is. Thus a total absence of evidence is itself evidence of a prop's almost total unlikelihood

Quote:
If so, our universe and life has no absolute meaning than the fact that we are product of a larger idea progressing through time and space
I'd agree if it's all apparent and all natural, in other words not within, but all about

Which the apodictical existential pantheist maintains it is. That we can't undersdtand it well owes to several factors mostly dualistic: (1) failure to acknowledge that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else. For instance, (a) to establish a supposed absolute dividing line between the concrete and abstract or (b) between Her and the Universe and (2) our relative youth, our language not having yet evolved to deal with the Unity of the Megillah, It, Her

Thus the Whole Shebang is Her body, all the activity therein Her thought--or soul if you like

As to whether we're accidental: Yes, no. The idea of accident is largely anthropomorphic
0 Replies