Betty Bowers reviews Mel Gibson's film The Passion of Christ

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 02:18 pm
Read, Brandon, read. Nobody has said it wasn't at least literal to what few words the Bible says about the Crucifixion. This leaves it wide open to a visual interpretation. Gibson has had far too much top say about the film and I'm sure he regrets some of it. Let the film stand on its own -- it doesn't need to be defended. Those who see the need to defend it are bound to rationalize what has been the critical points made about the film. Just go back to theater and enjoy it again. Mel needs the box office. After all, he's "What Women Want."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 02:27 pm
And John doesn't always agree with Mathew.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 02:37 pm
John pretty much disagrees with everyone, includeing the gospels of Timothy, Titus, Mary, Stephen Peter, and Thomas. John was probably the last to be written, and may have drawn on what had become popular oral tradition.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 02:47 pm
THat's all true and the meager attempt to turn this into a theological discussion is a diversion. By estimates of bad taste and overdrawn melodrama, this does not work as a movie. It works on the level of an action film with some crying towel manipulation thrown in. It wouldn't matter who was being brutality beaten and executed -- I found "The Green Mile" to bring about some honest tears about the cruelty and mistaken morality of capital punishment. It is true that intelligent, sensible people will not be driven to hate Jews or Italians because of the film. The rest, well I don't really want to address the rest.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:18 pm
John does not disagree.

And there was not that much money put into advertising the movie, considering the press did it for free.

He spent 25$ of his own money to make the movie.

It grossed 76.2 million on the weekend and a grand total of 117.5 million. That is a lot of money. He made all his money back and then some. And the movie does not have to make 150 million to get the money back.

Come on--The Tigger movie cost Disney 10 million to do everything and they made 70 million. Every movie doesn't have to break 100 million to make money back.

He's made his money back plain and simple. And he didn't even have to do a media blitz because the media did the blitzin' on their own dime. As did everyone who started saying how it was a horrible film. No such thing as bad press--that created more buzz and put more money into the movie. Good job everyone--y'all had a helping hand. pat yourself on the back.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:25 pm
BlueMonkey wrote:
John does not disagree.

Sigh. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:29 pm
John and Paul, that's all folks talk about....poor Ringo, I say. I might note, the gospel of Ringo was sadly absent in Mel's new "love me daddy" venture. (Just how many threads are there here regarding this film?)
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:35 pm
well i'm certainly glad that there has been enough discussion of the film, here and elsewhere, that i won't find it necessary to go and spend my own money to see it, in order to come to a fair conclusion; most non-hysterical thumbs are most decidedly down! (thanks, Betty)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:03 pm
The cost of the movie including distribution and promotion is in excess of 50M. It's done 76M -- it must break the 130M to make money. Obviously someone is oblivious to the cost of marketing a film and how much it has to make before it makes a profit. Mel's company is doing the accounting which is a plus for him (no monkey business in the Hollywood accounting). I don't doubt that the film won't make a profit and the controversy drove some people to see it. The church groups and the busing I'm sure did a lot also. Doesn't change the critical failure -- the majority of the reviewers that are giving it a good review are of insignificant reputation. On Rotten Tomatos it still stands at critically a rotten tomato. That is going to effect its chances of ever getting any awards.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:03 pm
(And you've got some big pictures coming out including "Troy")
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:08 pm
Awards--so what. It appears to me that no one here cares about awards--so why does that matter.

And I want sit stating that is how much it cost to do the film. I think you are wrong.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:13 pm
That you believe the cost of production (which has also been quoted as 30M for Mel's out of pocket) is the only cost of getting a movie to your local cineplex speaks miles about your credibility. Don't give up your day job. If nobody cares about awards, tonight's Oscar show is predicated on other shows of the past to bring in viewers in the billions.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:20 pm
I stated on A2K--which is why I said Here.

You still haven't given me proof of that. Just because it comes from you doesn't make it fact. I dont' care who you are--if you want proof from me I want it from you. And until you give it to me I think you are just making it up.

He made his money back.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:22 pm
It is a good thing it won't get awards. He knew it wasn't going to. And he doesn't care. That isn't why he made the film. But that does put a damper on the way you want to protray Mel on this forum. Ooops.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:29 pm
Watchtower 2000 wrote:
• Could the Gospels be a masterful invention?• Could the Gospels be legends?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:30 pm
Now your just boring me.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:36 pm
Watchtower 2000 wrote:
• If the Gospels were legends, could they have been compiled so quickly after the death of Jesus?
According to available evidence, the Gospels were written between the years 41 and 98 C.E. Jesus died in the year 33 C.E. This means that the accounts of his life were put together in a comparatively short time after his ministry ended. This poses a tremendous obstacle to the argument that the Gospel narratives are mere legends. Time is needed for legends to develop. Take, for example, the Iliad and the Odyssey by the ancient Greek poet Homer. Some hold that the text of those two epic legends developed and became stabilized over hundreds of years. What about the Gospels?
In his book Caesar and Christ, historian Will Durant writes: "That a few simple men should . . . have invented so powerful and appealing a personality, so lofty an ethic and so inspiring a vision of human brotherhood, would be a miracle far more incredible than any recorded in the Gospels. After two centuries of Higher Criticism the outlines of the life, character, and teaching of Christ, remain reasonably clear, and constitute the most fascinating feature in the history of Western man."
• Were the Gospels later edited to fit the needs of the early Christian community?
Some critics argue that the politics of the early Christian community caused the Gospel writers to edit the story of Jesus or add to it. However, a close study of the Gospels shows that no such doctoring took place. If Gospel accounts concerning Jesus were altered as a result of first-century Christian intrigue, why do negative remarks about both Jews and Gentiles still appear in the text?
A case in point is found at Matthew 6:5-7, where Jesus is quoted as saying: "When you pray, you must not be as the hypocrites; because they like to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the broad ways to be visible to men. Truly I say to you, They are having their reward in full." Clearly, this was a condemnation of Jewish religious leaders. Jesus further said: "When praying, do not say the same things over and over again, just as the people of the nations [the Gentiles] do, for they imagine they will get a hearing for their use of many words." By quoting Jesus in this way, the Gospel writers were not trying to win converts. They were simply recording statements actually made by Jesus Christ.
Consider also the Gospel accounts regarding the women who visited Jesus' tomb and saw that it was empty. (Mark 16:1-8) According to Gregg Easterbrook, "in the sociology of the ancient Middle East, testimony by women was considered inherently unreliable: for instance, two male witnesses were sufficient to convict a woman of adultery, while no woman's testimony could convict a man." Indeed, Jesus' own disciples did not believe the women! (Luke 24:11) It is thus most unlikely that such a story would have been deliberately invented.
The absence of parables in the epistles and in the book of Acts is a strong argument that those in the Gospels were not inserted by early Christians but were spoken by Jesus himself. Additionally, a careful comparison of the Gospels with the epistles reveals that neither Paul's words nor those of other writers of the Greek Scriptures were artfully reworded and ascribed to Jesus. If the early Christian community had done such a thing, we should expect to find at least some of the material from the epistles in the Gospel accounts. Since we do not, we can surely conclude that the Gospel material is original and authentic.
• What about seeming contradictions in the Gospels?Does modern-day Christianity represent the Jesus of the Gospels?
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:37 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Now your just boring me.

Sorry since it wasn't for you.--so you really are boring yourself.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:41 pm
When you post on an open public forum it is for everyone. You can cut-and-paste until you are blue in the face your borrowed opinions (oh, I forgot, you already have a blue face -- how appropriate). I am underwhelmed.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:43 pm
And still haven't shown where you come up with your magic numbers.

And you are right even one can see it, but no one made you read it. That is why you can't blame me for you being board when you are the one who chose to read it.
0 Replies